The Student Room Group

The "rubbish bands who are really big" thread

Scroll to see replies

Rutter knows best!
hhmm about as useful as a cock flavoured lolipop.

Ahaha, that's a powerful metaphor.

Editors, as well, part of the indie bandwagon. The way that guy sings is quite irritating.
Casey Haynes
Ahaha, that's a powerful metaphor.

Editors, as well, part of the indie bandwagon. The way that guy sings is quite irritating.

yeh. it's quite the joy division/interpol rip off.
Jxhn

Frankly I utterly disagree with you and all the other anti-Arctic Monkeys people on this thread. Be objective, besides the ridiculous fame and popularity, myspace music genre and ridiculous sales, they make good music. It's got a range of genres, its definitely different and doesn't all sound the same, it steers clear of too many indie clichés. The drumming on FWN is a thing of pure quality, ask any drummer and they will tell you it is very good. The lyrical content is very very good, it uses punchlines like a rap song might rather than just lilting from verse to chorus like most indie songs (babyshambles, libertines, pete doherty in general, what scum) does. I could go on, I could provide examples, but I get the feeling that most of the anti-arctic monkeys people can't avoid the hype and go into listening to them with a negative mindset. So theres no arguing! Less people to fight off for tickets anyway :smile:

To be fair, this whole thread is based on subjectivism. In my opinion the artic monkeys are terrible, but obviously that doesn't mean others can't find them appealing.

I would happily rate the arctic monkeys above the scum that are the Fratellis :p:
Personally, I really like Arctic Monkeys, but could understand why other people do not
Not a band, but Lily Allen...ugh. Just thinking of her makes me angry.
Kate Nash as well...

That was so funny on Never Mind the Buzzcocks when Simon Amstell said that Leon's (from the X-Factor) music is worse than racism
Casey Haynes
Kate Nash as well...

That was so funny on Never Mind the Buzzcocks when Simon Amstell said that Leon's (from the X-Factor) music is worse than racism

he had a bloody good point.
Rutter knows best!
he had a bloody good point.

Yeah, that was a damn clever and original thing to say.

"Love music, love racism", haha
Reply 108
jhaynes
how on earth can you say Bloc Party spoil the meaning of indie?

I didn't. That's why it was a separate statement...denoted by a separate sentence and paragraph.
:s-smilie:
they are pretty tame though, having a black singer as the singer is there only thing that stops me confusing them with everyone else.
Reply 110
Can't believe people are saying Oasis, lol who have inspired so many bands after them like the artic monkeys, greenday and so on.
Oasis should be bigger than they are, America hate them for no reason because they think there only song is wonderwall, when they have nearly 20 great songs in my opinion.

Rubbish bands are bands such as Coldplay so depressing and all the same, Blur were showed how bad they were by Oasis, Greenday- Plagerise other bands work- eg. boulavard of broken dreams is wonderwall with different lyrics.
Reply 111
Rutter knows best!
they are pretty tame though, having a black singer as the singer is there only thing that stops me confusing them with everyone else.

Haha, I don't even like his voice either!

Agree with tame, I think they reckoned "Flux" was something out of the ordinary... really isn't!
Rutter knows best!

I really like Bloc Party and think they have quite a distinctive sound (even not based on the lead singer), but that's just me
2nd2god
Can't believe people are saying Oasis, lol who have inspired so many bands after them like the artic monkeys, greenday and so on.
Oasis should be bigger than they are, America hate them for no reason because they think there only song is wonderwall, when they have nearly 20 great songs in my opinion.

Rubbish bands are bands such as Coldplay so depressing and all the same, Blur were showed how bad they were by Oasis, Greenday- Plagerise other bands work- eg. boulavard of broken dreams is wonderwall with different lyrics.

coldplays first album ain't that bad.
greenday have been around for yonks and there first album was pretty much a punk album.

inspired and influenced are a bit different, the first being nothing to do with there style of music.

oasis are amongst and elitest section of bands like the beatles, led zepelin etc etc and are often put in quotes such as "best band ever" so i do think to an extent they are overreated. good band though none the less.

and blur made some quite origional and unredictable music, unlike oasis.
Reply 114
snow patrol. odd that thier two worst albums shot them to fame.
hard fi. I dont know who buys thier records.
editors. why listen to editors when interpol and joy division exist.
Reply 115
ahh!! find myself totally disagreeing with a load of posts on this. but heyho where all entitled to our opinions. grr. [examples..] many of you hating on indie bands!!

i'm hearing way to much of 'bullet for my valentine' lately. agree with foo fighters. also i think previouly mentioned elliot minor. gah.

rant over!
Reply 116
I can't be arsed reading the whole thread, but for me, Razorlight, Hard Fi, Oasis, Blur, We Are Scientists, Simple Plan, Modest Mouse, Elliot Minor, Bright Eyes all spring to mind. :smile:
Jangrafess
I like Foo Fighters. :smile:

However, I don't like Oasis, so feel free to ignore me.

wtf?

*loffs Oasis*
Jangrafess
Have The Hoosiers done anything of any quality, other than Worried about Ray and Goodbye Mr. A? Which are only semi-decent anyway.

wtf 2? (the sequel)

'Have The Hoosiers done anything except have two massive hits from their first album?' Well, no, of course they haven't. They're releasing a third, though -- Cops and Robbers, I think -- which is also awesome.

Also, I've seen negative comments about U2, Muse and -- I hardly believe this -- Coldplay. Coldplay is the epitome of pretty.
Reply 119
Red Hot Chili Peppers! Ive disliked them for as long as I can remember!

Aaand:
Arctic Monkeys
Amy Winehouse

Also, to The Wombats, Scouting for Girls, The Kooks, The Hoosiers, Jack Penate, The Young Knives, Pigeon Detectives etc... give it up. We all know you're the same ****ing band.

Couldn't agree more! I hate all these 'scene name' bands around at the moment whose music is so poor.

Quick Reply