Star_999
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone,

I enrolled on a 4 year Psycholody course in Sep 2017 and before enrolling I was assured by the course leader that the course will be fully accredited by Jan 2018. I have now completed the first year, and still the accreditation isn't in place and it's looking likely this won't be in place for a while yet. As a result, I do not wish to continue on a course without accreditation.

I now have to look at applying to alternative uni's that offer the course with the accreditation and I have two options. I can apply to Uni 1 that still has places on my chosen course but this is a standard 3 year degree.
Or I can contact Uni 2 when clearing is open (the course is currently full) to see if they have any places (last year they had no places in clearing). Uni 2 offers a 4 year foundation course, so I would be looking to transfer to the 2nd year of this course.

My concern is how all this affects my student finance (SF). I understand that if I go to uni 1 with the 3 year course, my SF will be calculated as 3+1 -1= 3 years entitlement to SF. This means I will have no years left for taking resits if needed.

I feel I have been enrolled on to a course under false information as I would not have enrolled had I not been told the accreditation is guaranteed to be in place by Jan and I would have applied elsewhere.

I feel really annoyed that I have paid tuition fees for a course that's isn't what I was promised and as a result I am now in debt of £18k for the first year.

Do I have a valid case in asking the uni in question to refund my tuition fees?
oreoluwab
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Did they tell you the course would be accredited in writing or was it by mouth? You will only have a valid case if that information has been told to you in writing, either way that is so messed up and feel extremely awful for you.
Star_999
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by oreoluwab)
Did they tell you the course would be accredited in writing or was it by mouth? You will only have a valid case if that information has been told to you in writing, either way that is so messed up and feel extremely awful for you.
Hi. Thanks for your reply. I have it in writing. I emailed the course leader and specifically asked if it will be accredited. The reply I got was that it will be fully accredited by Jan 2018 and I could start and the accreditation will be recognised from the start date.
username4111606
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Star_999)
Hi. Thanks for your reply. I have it in writing. I emailed the course leader and specifically asked if it will be accredited. The reply I got was that it will be fully accredited by Jan 2018 and I could start and the accreditation will be recognised from the start date.
Have you mentioned this to the uni? And what has their response been
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's not unusual for courses to be launched without accreditation initially and then it to be granted before the first cohort graduates - this is normally retroactive for the any cohorts that have graduated since they initially put in for accreditation. Also unlike for e.g. Medicine, where if the course wasn't accredited it would cause a major issue for their first cohort potentially, BPS accreditation isn't as critical a requirement - it's helpful if you want to pursue graduate membership and a few roles/projects that require that but you can work around it even if it doesn't get the accreditation (initially or at all).

As the tuition fees are paid by SFE, they wouldn't be refunded to you in any case. Additionally, SFE operates under a "years of study" format - it doesn't matter what or where you studied, or whether you passed, failed, withdrew etc; you still have one year of prior HE study, so that will be subtracted from your entitlement. You may wish to contact SFE to find out more. You can apply for compelling personal reasons (CPR) for (an) additional year(s) of funding, however this is normally only granted where you have appropriately documented mitigating circumstances e.g. medical complications or bereavement that have seriously impacted your study.

You could contact CAB or something for legal advice on whether there is any way around the above but I highly doubt it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (138)
61.33%
No I haven't decided yet (50)
22.22%
Yes but I might change my mind (37)
16.44%

Watched Threads