The Student Room Group

Been awake for 34 hours and not tired

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Eva.Gregoria
This can actually be a sign of mania. Do you have bipolar disorder or ever been diagnosed or treated for depression?

Just about to write that. 34 hours is excessive.
i know how you feel - ive done about 35 hours once

once you get past the 24 hour mark, you feel tired but at the same time you dont need to sleep
Original post by Anonymous
Never been diagnosed for anything but never been checked. I’m 95% sure I’m depressed. My anxiety is worse though

I would go to the GP just to make sure. The body can only take so much before you collapse from exhaustion.

Original post by MajorFader

Just calculated it and it’s not actually two days so it’s not likely, it’s just best to make sure
Original post by MajorFader

Original post by johnny.snow
i know how you feel - ive done about 35 hours once

once you get past the 24 hour mark, you feel tired but at the same time you dont need to sleep

Original post by Eva.Gregoria
I would go to the GP just to make sure. The body can only take so much before you collapse from exhaustion.

Just calculated it and it’s not actually two days so it’s not likely, it’s just best to make sure

Well remember I have taken a 1 hour nap within the now 36 hours.. So technically I've been awake for 9 hours but it was only for 1 hour so idk? That's probably why I feel so normal rn. Btw still awake (obviously) lol.
Well remember I have taken a 1 hour nap within the now 36 hours.. So technically I've been awake for 9 hours but it was only for 1 hour so idk? That's probably why I feel so normal rn. Btw still awake (obviously) lol.

The more you think about it the harder it's gonna be. Are there things that are worrying you? I find it helps to write down everything I'm worrying about and then write some solutions to go alongside it. Just prevents things swirling around in your head.
Also remember that even if you don't fall asleep, you'll still be fine, especially because you've had an hour nap. Your body has had a little time to rest.
Seems like you're not fully giving yourself a chance if you keep coming on TSR. Put your phone away, stay off the social media and don't go on forums, it's only going to make you more awake.
Give meditation and breathing techniques a proper go, you need to slow down your heart rate. As before, I recommend Headspace.
I find counting down from a large number to be a good way to stop any thoughts coming in.
If you still need some distraction and help calming down, I'd recommend something like the app 'Calm' it's full of short audiobooks read in a soft tone of voice. They're just random stories about nature but they're quite calming. I listened to Blue Gold read by Stephen Fry recently and it really helped.
'RelaxMelodies' has some nice relaxing sounds but this doesn't always work for me.
If these aren't working then I'd recommend finding a documentary to watch. Nothing too exciting, just something pretty mundane.
Also you said before you've been trying since 10pm, maybe it's time to have a little walk around the house or sit down at your desk. Can be difficult to fall asleep if you've been in the same position for ages.
Finally, it might sound weird but try yawning a few times. Once you start, it kind of kicks in this tiredness and you keep feeling the urge to yawn.
Hopefully you're already asleep before you've seen this but these tips could be useful for next time.
I’ve been awake since 2pm on Sunday. 5am Monday morning comes and still not tired, so I decide to do a wrap around (stay awake until night). Accidentally fell asleep at 4pm but only for an hour. Now it’s midnight and I’m s till wide awake, just from that 1 hour nap. Do I do another wrap around to next morning? Or is that dangerous

Is this a regular thing being unable to sleep?
Original post by DrawTheLine
Is this a regular thing being unable to sleep?

Well I’m usually able to sleep but the timing is always super off.. it always seems to slide a few hours later every day because I need to be awake for 16-18 hours to get tired and sleep for 9 hours to get rested, that doesn’t add up to 24 so it slides forward. Since I started summer hols a month ago I’ve done 2 full 24 hour circles- sleeping at 11pm, then 2am, then 5am, then 8am, etc... until I reached 11pm again. I’ve done this twice in the span of a month and another circle has started to happen again.
Well I’m usually able to sleep but the timing is always super off.. it always seems to slide a few hours later every day because I need to be awake for 16-18 hours to get tired and sleep for 9 hours to get rested, that doesn’t add up to 24 so it slides forward. Since I started summer hols a month ago I’ve done 2 full 24 hour circles- sleeping at 11pm, then 2am, then 5am, then 8am, etc... until I reached 11pm again. I’ve done this twice in the span of a month and another circle has started to happen again.

The good thing is you are getting enough sleep however the timing just isn't right. You may have to force yourself to stay awake through the afternoon when you would sleep and not sleeping until 9pm. It's just about training your body to sleep at the best times. Also during the day make sure to tire yourself out so your body needs sleep too.
Never been diagnosed for anything but never been checked. I’m 95% sure I’m depressed. My anxiety is worse though

Go for a run, sprint as fast as you can and then walk to catch your breath, clear your head and get properly tired out. Then try and sleep. Either way, I would definitely see your GP. They can provide better advice than we can and they may be able to direct you to a sleep psychotherapist. Don't let this sit for any longer, sleep irregularity can cause serious health problems and can cause any mental health issues you may have to become one hell of a lot worse.

I think it's probably the lack of routine that's making you think you need 9 hours and then you wake up late in the day and you lose hours so you end up staying up late. I think you need to fill your days with more so you actually have a reason to wake up early and therefore get into a routine. I never thought I would be the type to fall asleep before 12 until I got a job and had to be up early every day. I finally fell into a routine. Of course now I'm slightly out of that routine after finishing exams but I'm allowing myself it.

Set yourself things to do early in the morning. Early driving lessons, meet up with friends early, early appointments, early gym session, morning hobbies/clubs, part time job. When you get up earlier you get more out of your day and you don't spend the early hours of the morning trying to fit in all the things you wanted to do/watch.

There are also videos on youtube from people who tried waking up at 5.30 or 7am every day and they talk about how amazing it made them feel. Could be worth trying just as an experiment.

Also take a look at what you're doing late at night. Avoid the internet and social media, they're really hard to just pull yourself away from and they make you feel like you're awake. It's the summer holidays so make the most of your time and read some interesting books.
The more you think about it the harder it's gonna be. Are there things that are worrying you? I find it helps to write down everything I'm worrying about and then write some solutions to go alongside it. Just prevents things swirling around in your head.
Also remember that even if you don't fall asleep, you'll still be fine, especially because you've had an hour nap. Your body has had a little time to rest.
Seems like you're not fully giving yourself a chance if you keep coming on TSR. Put your phone away, stay off the social media and don't go on forums, it's only going to make you more awake.
Give meditation and breathing techniques a proper go, you need to slow down your heart rate. As before, I recommend Headspace.
I find counting down from a large number to be a good way to stop any thoughts coming in.
If you still need some distraction and help calming down, I'd recommend something like the app 'Calm' it's full of short audiobooks read in a soft tone of voice. They're just random stories about nature but they're quite calming. I listened to Blue Gold read by Stephen Fry recently and it really helped.
'RelaxMelodies' has some nice relaxing sounds but this doesn't always work for me.
If these aren't working then I'd recommend finding a documentary to watch. Nothing too exciting, just something pretty mundane.
Also you said before you've been trying since 10pm, maybe it's time to have a little walk around the house or sit down at your desk. Can be difficult to fall asleep if you've been in the same position for ages.
Finally, it might sound weird but try yawning a few times. Once you start, it kind of kicks in this tiredness and you keep feeling the urge to yawn.
Hopefully you're already asleep before you've seen this but these tips could be useful for next time.

I have a ton of things I do, none of them significantly help with sleep but they do help me to let go. Making lists and following them every single day has been a part of my day for years and honestly makes my anxiety worse, but I have to do it now because it's just my routine. Thanks to your suggestions I did manage to eventually fall asleep around 6am, but I only just woke up (1pm), and knowing my sleep patterns that means I probably won't be tired until 7-8am. It's never ending.
The good thing is you are getting enough sleep however the timing just isn't right. You may have to force yourself to stay awake through the afternoon when you would sleep and not sleeping until 9pm. It's just about training your body to sleep at the best times. Also during the day make sure to tire yourself out so your body needs sleep too.

That's what I did, it's called the wrap around technique. Although it didn't work for me, night came and I was wide awake. That's what the whole thread is about.
That's what I did, it's called the wrap around technique. Although it didn't work for me, night came and I was wide awake. That's what the whole thread is about.

Even if you tire yourself out during the day? If you do a lot of movement such as exercise and just being active constantly throughout the day you will be tired enough to sleep. Your body will physically need a rest to recharge.
I think it's probably the lack of routine that's making you think you need 9 hours and then you wake up late in the day and you lose hours so you end up staying up late. I think you need to fill your days with more so you actually have a reason to wake up early and therefore get into a routine. I never thought I would be the type to fall asleep before 12 until I got a job and had to be up early every day. I finally fell into a routine. Of course now I'm slightly out of that routine after finishing exams but I'm allowing myself it.

Set yourself things to do early in the morning. Early driving lessons, meet up with friends early, early appointments, early gym session, morning hobbies/clubs, part time job. When you get up earlier you get more out of your day and you don't spend the early hours of the morning trying to fit in all the things you wanted to do/watch.

There are also videos on youtube from people who tried waking up at 5.30 or 7am every day and they talk about how amazing it made them feel. Could be worth trying just as an experiment.

Also take a look at what you're doing late at night. Avoid the internet and social media, they're really hard to just pull yourself away from and they make you feel like you're awake. It's the summer holidays so make the most of your time and read some interesting books.

Easier said than done my dude. I have no driving lessons to take, no friends to meet, no appointments to arrange, no point in going to the gym because my main issue is my face, I have no hobbies or 'clubs', can't get a job because of anxiety (college takes enough of a toll on my mental health, i dont want to be watched at work as well). I have no life except sitting on my laptop all day every day. I like it but I guess it's problematic because it doesn't tire me out.
And do you really think a teenager is going to 'read a book before bed'.
Even if you tire yourself out during the day? If you do a lot of movement such as exercise and just being active constantly throughout the day you will be tired enough to sleep. Your body will physically need a rest to recharge.

I'm not exactly able to do things to 'tire myself out' when I haven't sleep for 30+ hours man. I'm tired I just can't 'cross over' into sleep.
I'm not exactly able to do things to 'tire myself out' when I haven't sleep for 30+ hours man. I'm tired I just can't 'cross over' into sleep.

What do you mean you can't tire yourself out?
Easier said than done my dude. I have no driving lessons to take, no friends to meet, no appointments to arrange, no point in going to the gym because my main issue is my face, I have no hobbies or 'clubs', can't get a job because of anxiety (college takes enough of a toll on my mental health, i dont want to be watched at work as well). I have no life except sitting on my laptop all day every day. I like it but I guess it's problematic because it doesn't tire me out.

Not necessarily. You need to take a look at yourself if your social life is this dead. Even if you don't have friends to meet, you can still go out and do things with your day. Go for walks, work out at home, go to the shops, go on a bike ride, go for a run. An easy and rewarding hobby is sourcing vintage clothes and selling them online or on depop for a profit. It's a flexible way of making money but it'll also force you to get up and go to the post office.

You're only going to get into a worse state if you carry on like this. Maybe try volunteering if you don't want the commitment or pressure of a job. At this rate you're never going to improve and by the time you're in your 20s, you won't have the confidence to get a job (or enough work experience). Are you going into uni this year or college? Uni should help you out a fair bit in terms of independence, confidence etc.

If you want to be a well rounded adult then reading can be the way to go. You don't have to read fiction, I find I get more out of non-fiction. Your age has nothing to do with it, plus you clearly have plenty of time at the moment to pick up a book.

I know quite a few people who have been in a similar position but just by taking themselves out of their comfort zone for once, they were able to improve their mental health a bit.

Here's some reasons to go to the gym:

You haven't slept for 36 hours
It keeps you fit

Not "your face". Your face isn't why you have insomnia

And yes plenty of teenagers read. It's a hobby

I know you said you're depressed - these aren't reasonable objections - this is negative self-talk that is causing you to make decisions that are bad for you
What do you mean you can't tire yourself out?

I'm already exhausted, I just can't 'cross over' into sleep.
Not necessarily. You need to take a look at yourself if your social life is this dead. Even if you don't have friends to meet, you can still go out and do things with your day. Go for walks, work out at home, go to the shops, go on a bike ride, go for a run. An easy and rewarding hobby is sourcing vintage clothes and selling them online or on depop for a profit. It's a flexible way of making money but it'll also force you to get up and go to the post office.

You're only going to get into a worse state if you carry on like this. Maybe try volunteering if you don't want the commitment or pressure of a job. At this rate you're never going to improve and by the time you're in your 20s, you won't have the confidence to get a job (or enough work experience). Are you going into uni this year or college? Uni should help you out a fair bit in terms of independence, confidence etc.

If you want to be a well rounded adult then reading can be the way to go. You don't have to read fiction, I find I get more out of non-fiction. Your age has nothing to do with it, plus you clearly have plenty of time at the moment to pick up a book.

I know quite a few people who have been in a similar position but just by taking themselves out of their comfort zone for once, they were able to improve their mental health a bit.

You know trying to life coach people with mental health problems who never even asked for it is gonna be pretty detrimental

Quick Reply

Latest