The Student Room Group

Warwick Rape Joke Students- 3 expelled 2 banned for a year, rest fined.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The RAR
Well I am sorry to burst your bubble but you will find many people in the world who joke around with rape. It might not seem ethical but do they care? Are they actually going to do it? No, they are just having a laugh. See nothing wrong with that
I am not supporting rape just telling you

But you see the thing is RAR, the reason why they got banned is because of how unethical it is. The university is setting a social standard. “Having a laugh” doesn’t constitute a pass in this situation.
Original post by MajorFader
But you see the thing is RAR, the reason why they got banned is because of how unethical it is. The university is setting a social standard. “Having a laugh” doesn’t constitute a pass in this situation.

Well got to agree with you there, it's their university so they are the ones who get to decide what to do with the students. In my opinion the university simply gave extreme punishments to these students, a simple suspension would have been enough for offensive jokes.
Original post by birdthief
Has anybody read 'The Crucible', or perhaps '1984'? These comments were made in a private group chat, the University has no right to punish them at all, in fact, they have done absolutely nothing wrong. They have not hurt anyone, nor have they committed a crime, and yet they are hounded and punished as if they were criminals. You might find their jokes offensive, but offence itself is entirely subjective, and these were jokes made in private. We have no right to police the thoughts and conversations of others. If you don't like someones jokes, don't read them, and if you find something so offensive that its causing you an issue, then its you that has a problem. It seems so awful to have grown up in a time when liberty, free speech and peoples basic human rights are being thrown away on a whim because somebody said something in private, and it made somebody else feel sad.

I think you've lost sight of the fact that they were discussing raping a specific (I believe named) fellow student at the university which is a significant aggravating factor... they weren't merely having an abstract discussion about the alleged funnyness of rapes in general.

The person they were discussing raping had done nothing wrong and the person they were discussing raping has a right to not live in fear on campus.

Plausible threats are usually not covered by free speech protections and rape is in fact pretty plausible - hyperbolic threats which any reasonable person wouldn't take seriously are likely to be safe.
If they'd said they wanted to train a parrot the size of an elephant to bludgeon her to death with a flump for instance, that would have pretty clearly have been seen as hyperbolic despite if taken literally meaning you wished a horrible slow and violent death on the person. Rape is rather too mundane to be threatening people with.
Reply 403
Rape isn’t a joke but having your future ruined for speaking about it isn’t fair either
Original post by birdthief
If you don't like someones jokes, don't read them..

If you don't like a uni's policies about respecting other students., don't go. :wink:
Original post by MajorFader
Nobody should find rape funny! Even if it was used as a joke.

What just rape or any other subjects?
Would you care to give us a list of things that we shouldn't joke about.
Cancer maybe dead babies, Chinese torturing and eating dogs, murder, traffic accidents, AIDS, domestic violence, pedophilia, old people, Death?
Bill Burr points out that he's noticed everybody laughs like a drain until it comes around to something that they care about.
Everybody cares about something.
(edited 5 years ago)
What has happened to British society that some university students think it is amusing to talk about who they should rape? Not only that, people defend them as if there's nothing wrong with such utterances. Something has gone badly wrong.
Original post by Axiomasher
What has happened to British society that some university students think it is amusing to talk about who they should rape? Not only that, people defend them as if there's nothing wrong with such utterances. Something has gone badly wrong.

I am 70 years old and spent my young life in care. Was raped at 9 years old and as i’ve got older, it’s with me more and more and am in trauma counselling and have PTSD.
I cant understand why anyone can think rape is something to joke about. Ive just finished my degree and rape came up frequently in the content. There were a lot of young people in my class and I don’t ever remember any of them showing anything but respect for victims. These students at Warwick are just entitled little shits who think this sort of behaviour is OK and they deserve what they got.
No, they didn't make stupid jokes about rape, they talked about who they thought they should rape, no 'set up' no 'punch line' plain and simple statements of intent. Even had they merely made jokes about rape they deserved serious punishment by the university but it was more than that, it was a repeated statement of intent to rape their female classmates.

How can you judge their intentions? They said the comments were jokes, no one was actually raped. You’re not a mind reader
Original post by Underscore__
How can you judge their intentions? They said the comments were jokes, no one was actually raped. You’re not a mind reader

That's exactly my point. I can't know for certain what a person's intentions are when they say they should rape so-and-so student, neither can you or anyone else.They may have been working their way up to an actual rape or it may have all been perverted rhetoric. My point is that it is reasonable to take someone seriously when it becomes apparent that in a private conversation they have made a plain statement about committing a serious crime such as this. Of course when found out they are likely to say they were 'just joking', I wouldn't expect them to say any different regardless of their actual intentions at the time. It would be exactly the same had they been discussing murder or a terrorist plot. Remember, they weren't talking about rape in some abstract way they were suggesting they should rape specific individuals or groups at their university. There's a point at which the sentences we utter cannot just be brushed off, or at least shouldn't be, because we're a 'frat boy' or because we claim we were just 'having an innocent laugh'.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by StriderHort
If you don't like a uni's policies about respecting other students., don't go. :wink:

Couldn’t agree more! Well said!
That's exactly my point. I can't know for certain what a person's intentions are when they say they should rape so-and-so student, neither can you or anyone else.They may have been working their way up to an actual rape or it may have all been perverted rhetoric. My point is that it is reasonable to take someone seriously when it becomes apparent that in a private conversation they have made a plain statement about committing a serious crime such as this. Of course when found out they are likely to say they were 'just joking', I wouldn't expect them to say any different regardless of their actual intentions at the time. It would be exactly the same had they been discussing murder or a terrorist plot. Remember, they weren't talking about rape in some abstract way they were suggesting they should rape specific individuals or groups at their university. There's a point at which the sentences we utter cannot just be brushed off, or at least shouldn't be, because we're a 'frat boy' or because we claim we were just 'having an innocent laugh'.

Again, completely agree on this. Things you say can’t be taken back and I fail to understand why some others don’t accept that words have consequences just as actions would.
Original post by Notoriety
How much reality have you experienced and how do you think it is any different to what the Warwick students have witnessed?
I've witnessed enough not to make jokes like they do.

Your opinion that banning homosexual is based on modern society thinking it is wrong to ban homosexuality. You are just as blinded by your society's biases as anyone.
Well I hope I'm a bit less blinded than 'anyone' but of course I'm significantly influenced by my society. What's your point?

As making supposedly objective decisions on morality, you are going to be making a lot of arbitrary decisions and you have not provided a framework under which these decisions should take place. What is top stop Warwick Uni disciplining people for not being opposed to homosexuality? Or should unis' morality be "whatever TSRian Joe So-And-So thinks is right"? The current society's morality is the only thing we have to go off. If sending jokes in private is accepted by society, then you have to accept that.

I'm not making objective decisions on morality, I'm making objective decisions on the meaning of words by looking at the objective context for them.

The current society's morality is always changed and being debated, so I'm engaging in that debate! I'm not really seeing what point you're trying to make overall here.
Original post by Ani xox
Again, completely agree on this. Things you say can’t be taken back and I fail to understand why some others don’t accept that words have consequences just as actions would.

No one argues there should be no consequences, that's a straw man argument. The question is which are the justifiable and unjustifiable consequences.

There is something wrong with them, but there's also something wrong with policing the private utterances of individuals.
Original post by Joe312
I've witnessed enough not to make jokes like they do.

Have you heard of gallows humour? You don't have a clue what backgrounds these people have.

Well I hope I'm a bit less blinded than 'anyone' but of course I'm significantly influenced by my society. What's your point?

I'm not making objective decisions on morality, I'm making objective decisions on the meaning of words by looking at the objective context for them.

The current society's morality is always changed and being debated, so I'm engaging in that debate! I'm not really seeing what point you're trying to make overall here.

If you reread your own post and then see my response, you will understand what I am actually saying. I am not going to repeat myself when I have already made my case clearly.
Original post by Joe312
...There is something wrong with them, but there's also something wrong with policing the private utterances of individuals.

Once something has become public though then it has to be addressed and addressed according to the content. If the police think there's a possible offence they should be expected to consider investigating. If the university think there's a possible breach of its rules and policies they should be expected to consider an appropriate response. Who decides what an appropriate response is? The university. Don't like that? Shouldn't have enrolled - any university would do the same kind of thing in the same kind of circumstances. Going to university is to be in the grown-up world where there there are grown-up consequences to actions and words.
Do you really believe that un PC jokes or nasty humour that can be considered controversial generate criminal acts?

As a child I watched the Carry On movies, Black Adder & Allo Allo.
An extensive catalogue of un PC humour: dirty jokes, mockery of religion and everyone who participated in WW2 ranging from the allies to the nazis and communist resistance.
I'm a law abiding female who can tell the difference between jokes, fiction, music and violent criminality.

As much as you dislike what the Warwick rape joke students said during a private chat session, are you sure that you want to live under a government where people are arrested then severely punished for saying something that you dislike?

The UK precedent implications of that are a totalitarian clampdown on freedom of speech.
What will happen to you when you express an opinion or make a joke that someone else dislikes.
Lose your job, go to jail and acquire the reputation of psycho hate criminal David Copeland/ black cab rapist John Worboys- all for saying something rude or controversial.

Original post by Wired_1800
What?? Someone should have sat them down??? Are you in pre-school?

Why do we have this brigade of “sympathisers” whenever grown adults do incredibly stupid stuff? These people are studying in one of the top unis in the country, if not the world. The idea that they were “joking” or ignorant is reckless.

We should stop trying to justify this sort of behaviour. I am sure that if it was your sister, mother or daughter, you wont be writing rubbish like that. I think the Warwick administration did not do enough. They should have reported it to the police to be charged.

I used to side with “compassion” until i realised that it is this sort of jokish behviour that evolves into criminal acts. First, it is a joking comment about women, blacks or Jews, then someone decides to act on it.

We need to wake up. Our generation is going down the toilet.
Once something has become public though then it has to be addressed and addressed according to the content. If the police think there's a possible offence they should be expected to consider investigating. If the university think there's a possible breach of its rules and policies they should be expected to consider an appropriate response. Who decides what an appropriate response is? The university. Don't like that? Shouldn't have enrolled - any university would do the same kind of thing in the same kind of circumstances. Going to university is to be in the grown-up world where there there are grown-up consequences to actions and words.

I agree the police should be free to investigate anything they think could be a crime, whether it's private or not, of course.

Yes the university decides, however I think it is being influenced by the public feelings of people like you in that, so i think people like me should debate that feeling away, and then the university won't make that decision!

My concern regarding private speech becoming public is that it's not these guys fault that their speech became public and so it seems unjust to punish them as if it were public.
Have you heard of gallows humour? You don't have a clue what backgrounds these people have.

I'm not denying that they were joking though, I think the context clearly shows they were joking. Not cause of gallows humour though, it seems more like frat-boy toxic macho trash talk to me.

If you reread your own post and then see my response, you will understand what I am actually saying. I am not going to repeat myself when I have already made my case clearly.

Ok well I read your post and am still at a loss so if you don't feel like I'm worth explaining further to I guess that's the end of the discussion!
Original post by Joe312
I agree the police should be free to investigate anything they think could be a crime, whether it's private or not, of course.

Yes the university decides, however I think it is being influenced by the public feelings of people like you in that, so i think people like me should debate that feeling away, and then the university won't make that decision!

My concern regarding private speech becoming public is that it's not these guys fault that their speech became public and so it seems unjust to punish them as if it were public.

The university will have done its best to make decisions which reflect their regulatory and policy expectations; the scandal of having students talking about rape is bad enough, they don't want to then risk a successful challenge because they were simply responding to public feeling. Their lawyers will have been all over this. These students weren't being punished because their private conversations became public as such but because they showed themselves to carry 'values' utterly contrary to those of the institution and to represent a potential threat to the safety of the student body as a whole. You've pretty much ignored the importance of female students being able to continue to study on campus without having to sit in classes with men who have privately discussed raping them. Sending these men to a 'being a nice person' session and pretending all is well was never going to cut it.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending