The Student Room Group

Warwick Rape Joke Students- 3 expelled 2 banned for a year, rest fined.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wired_1800
What?? Someone should have sat them down??? Are you in pre-school?

That's interesting. Do you think that most pre-schoolers try to see nuance and seek empathy in situations where the other side lack empathy and nuance?
Original post by ShadyWhama
Damn, this is actually really messed up. Even if they were jokes the subject of “rape” and my Girlfriend going to this university scares me.

They weren't even graphic jokes about rape. Take a chill pill.
Good to see this kind of thing being properly punished.
Original post by ThatOldGuy
That's interesting. Do you think that most pre-schoolers try to see nuance and seek empathy in situations where the other side lack empathy and nuance?

No. Pre-schoolers do incredibly stupid things and their parents plus teacher need to teach them how to behave. You cannot teach a grown man about the significance of what they say or do. The idea that it was in “private” should not justify those reckless comments.

I guess that is probably what some posters on here do. Make racist, homophobic and anti-semitic comments in private, then go in public and act like progressive individuals.

These are grown up adults. One cannot simply argue that they did not know the meaning of what they were saying. The idea of them making outright racist remarks, anti-semitic comments and advocating actual sexual violence is incredibly criminal behaviour.

I saw this thread and i tried to avoid commenting; but as I read the amount of foolish comments, I could not hold it in.

I think these are the things that ethnic minorities and women complain about. We love to call everything a joke until it affects us. I am sure that if this was directed at a relative of one of the posters on here, they would be up in arms.

These are grown up adults. One cannot simply argue that they did not know the meaning of what they were saying. The idea of them making outright racist remarks, anti-semitic comments and advocating actual sexual violence is incredibly criminal behaviour.

I think these are the things that ethnic minorities and women complain about. We love to call everything a joke until it affects us. I am sure that if this was directed at a relative of one of the posters on here, they would be up in arms.

It is not criminal. If it were, they would have been arrested. In point of fact, they were not, because criminality implies intent.

If you said to someone, "Oh, no! You didn't get the car you wanted from Daddy? You should just shoot yourself.", you would not be advocating violence and thus would not be arrested. It is not criminal.

Also, you should note that I did not say those things. They did. And they clearly -were- acting immature and reckless and stupid. But that is because they were young and stupid.

"Do not attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity." - Sometimes, you need to forgive the stupidity of others or you are going to be angry your whole life.

People being up in arms is normally a knee-jerk reaction. It should not inform a disciplinary hearing, which is supposed to be imbued with the rules of natural justice.
Original post by ThatOldGuy
It is not criminal. If it were, they would have been arrested. In point of fact, they were not, because criminality implies intent.

If you said to someone, "Oh, no! You didn't get the car you wanted from Daddy? You should just shoot yourself.", you would not be advocating violence and thus would not be arrested. It is not criminal.

Also, you should note that I did not say those things. They did. And they clearly -were- acting immature and reckless and stupid. But that is because they were young and stupid.

"Do not attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity." - Sometimes, you need to forgive the stupidity of others or you are going to be angry your whole life.

Chaos is a ladder and we continue to climb it. How long do we continue to forgive people like this for their stupidity?

So you are trying to say that if they wrote that they would rape your daughter, you would be like “oh, let them be, they are young. They were just acting stupid”? Come on.

We need to stop justifying such behaviour. This is not the first time that a group of “lads” were caught saying or doing what they should not be doing. One would think that others would learn and change. Instead we have people continuing it because there will be people out there to justify their actions.
Chaos is a ladder and we continue to climb it. How long do we continue to forgive people like this for their stupidity?

So you are trying to say that if they wrote that they would rape your daughter, you would be like “oh, let them be, they are young. They were just acting stupid”? Come on.

We need to stop justifying such behaviour. This is not the first time that a group of “lads” were caught saying or doing what they should not be doing. One would think that others would learn and change. Instead we have people continuing it because there will be people out there to justify their actions.

That's interesting. Did you hear me say, "Let them be"?
Original post by Notoriety
People being up in arms is normally a knee-jerk reaction. It should not inform a disciplinary hearing, which is supposed to be imbued with the rules of natural justice.

If you are walking down the road, a guy stops you and your mother then says “Damn, if I have a chance I would rape you”. Do you walk off, call the police to conduct natural justice or do you punch the idiot in the face?

What about if it was not said to your face but written in a private chat? Would your reaction be the same?

If people know they would be punished for an act, most would not do it. The issue is that people like that tend to have this inherent idea that they would go free for such comments.

We should not try to justify such behaviour.
Reply 49
appropriate punishment. who made the remarks public?
Original post by marupe
appropriate punishment. who made the remarks public?

Someone snitched.
What must their parents think of them?
Original post by Axiomasher
What must their parents think of them?

I think their parents would have the victim-mentality as well. These sorts of people don't just begin to make comments like those at 20. I guess they would have grown up in an environment that permitted or tolerated such behaviour.
Reply 53
Original post by Dez
How do you feel about the Presidents Club being forced to shut down?

Not heard about that!
I think their parents would have the victim-mentality as well. These sorts of people don't just begin to make comments like those at 20. I guess they would have grown up in an environment that permitted or tolerated such behaviour.

That's a fair point.
Reply 55
What?? Someone should have sat them down??? Are you in pre-school?

Why do we have this brigade of “sympathisers” whenever grown adults do incredibly stupid stuff? These people are studying in one of the top unis in the country, if not the world. The idea that they were “joking” or ignorant is reckless.

We should stop trying to justify this sort of behaviour. I am sure that if it was your sister, mother or daughter, you wont be writing rubbish like that. I think the Warwick administration did not do enough. They should have reported it to the police to be charged.

I used to side with “compassion” until i realised that it is this sort of jokish behviour that evolves into criminal acts. First, it is a joking comment about women, blacks or Jews, then someone decides to act on it.

We need to wake up. Our generation is going down the toilet.

So they should have been arrested by the police.. because they might do a crime in the future because of their foul language..? : s

People are made better by education, not taking away their rights.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by elyptical1
People think this happens in a vacuum? My brother is a fireman and the jokes he says they make at the scenes of crashes are even worse than these - He says it's how they deal with it...

He'd be rattled right out the service in disgrace and outrage should pages of these jokes appear in public with his name on them, that's surely obvious? :redface:
Original post by Joe312
So they should have been arrested by the police.. because they might do a crime in the future because of their foul language..? : s

People are made better by education, not taking away their rights.

No, they should have been investigated for criminal intent. A verbal proclamation of rape (even on a large scale) should not be taken lightly.

If someone said they would love to bomb London or any other city, I doubt people would be saying “People are made better by education, not taking away their rights”.
If you are walking down the road, a guy stops you and your mother then says “Damn, if I have a chance I would rape you”. Do you walk off, call the police to conduct natural justice or do you punch the idiot in the face?

What about if it was not said to your face but written in a private chat? Would your reaction be the same?

If people know they would be punished for an act, most would not do it. The issue is that people like that tend to have this inherent idea that they would go free for such comments.

We should not try to justify such behaviour.

Again, a disciplinary hearing is a serious hearing conducted formally by professionals and academics. It is not to be ruled by mob mentality, or being disposed to punching people in the face for their obnoxiousness.

You are highlighting the major flaw with everyone's nay sayer posts in this thread, in which they pretend this is to do with real threat to others or possibility of escalation from speech to action. No, there is a feeling of disagreement with what was privately said and a feeling of superiority when rejecting what was privately said. It is from primitive emotion rather than sophisticated though.
Reply 59
No, they should have been investigated for criminal intent. A verbal proclamation of rape (even on a large scale) should not be taken lightly.

If someone said they would love to bomb London or any other city, I doubt people would be saying “People are made better by education, not taking away their rights”.

Oh I see, well yeah if what they said constituted planning of illegal activity then sure thing, throw the book at them. I think it's kind of hard to suggest that it was anything other than locker room talk honestly. I think ur just mad and want them to suffer cause they are bad. This is why the law is good - it makes justice not about vengefulness.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending