The Student Room Group

Warwick Rape Joke Students- 3 expelled 2 banned for a year, rest fined.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joe312
Oh I see, well yeah if what they said constituted planning of illegal activity then sure thing, throw the book at them. I think it's kind of hard to suggest that it was anything other than locker room talk honestly. I think ur just mad and want them to suffer cause they are bad. This is why the law is good - it makes justice not about vengefulness.

What? Rape is ILLEGAL!!!!!!

I think I am done with you mate.
Original post by Notoriety
Again, a disciplinary hearing is a serious hearing conducted formally by professionals and academics. It is not to be ruled by mob mentality, or being disposed to punching people in the face for their obnoxiousness.

You are highlighting the major flaw with everyone's nay sayer posts in this thread, in which they pretend this is to do with real threat to others or possibility of escalation from speech to action. No, there is a feeling of disagreement with what was privately said and a feeling of superiority when rejecting what was privately said. It is from primitive emotion rather than sophisticated though.

There might be a real threat, why should we assume there isn't? I appreciate that you're some kind of liberal apologist but when people have discussions about raping fellow students they should be scrutinised, just as if they had been discussing murder or a terrorist plot. You cannot pick and choose which kind of serious-crime 'banter' deserves investigation and which doesn't. Disgraceful.
Punishment should be for them to line up for a firing squad, not even joking. Make their parents watch or be shot also.
Original post by Notoriety
Again, a disciplinary hearing is a serious hearing conducted formally by professionals and academics. It is not to be ruled by mob mentality, or being disposed to punching people in the face for their obnoxiousness.

You are highlighting the major flaw with everyone's nay sayer posts in this thread, in which they pretend this is to do with real threat to others or possibility of escalation from speech to action. No, there is a feeling of disagreement with what was privately said and a feeling of superiority when rejecting what was privately said. It is from primitive emotion rather than sophisticated though.

So, imagine a uni guy tells his mate on a whatsapp group, “You know what, I would love to blow up the Parliament”. This then gets shared, do you think there should be a calm discussion or a visit from the security services? This is even though it was a private conversation.

Now, what about another uni guy that wants to rape his whole flat or 100 girls? Should they also be visited by the Police?

Look, I am tired of this rubbish. I think we can leave it here. It is incredible to see how people think about matters. I guess it is indeed true that the average IQ of millenials are actually lower than previous generations.
Original post by Axiomasher
There might be a real threat, why should we assume there isn't? I appreciate that you're some kind of liberal apologist but when people have discussions about raping fellow students they should be scrutinised, just as if they had been discussing murder or a terrorist plot. You cannot pick and choose which kind of serious-crime 'banter' deserves investigation and which doesn't. Disgraceful.

The outcome of the investigation is what is being discussed, not that there was an investigation in the first place. Your point is therefore not relevant.

Original post by Wired_1800
So, imagine a uni guy tells his mate on a whatsapp group, “You know what, I would love to blow up the Parliament”. This then gets shared, do you think there should be a calm discussion or a visit from the security services? This is even though it was a private conversation.

Now, what about another uni guy that wants to rape his whole flat or 100 girls? Should they also be visited by the Police?

Look, I am tired of this rubbish. I think we can leave it here. It is incredible to see how people think about matters. I guess it is indeed true that the average IQ of millenials are actually lower than previous generations.

I will remind you about the above, as you also seem to have invented a line of argument from me.
(edited 5 years ago)
When we learn words weren't meant seriously, they shouldn't be taken seriously. It doesn't matter how horrific or morbid they appear to be. Even some jokes by mainstream comedians can appear pretty appalling on paper. That's why context and intent matter, and jokes are jokes, even if they aren't to your taste. People have been expelled and had their education derailed because of jokes they made semi-privately on the internet, off campus. If you support that, your sense of empathy and moral maturity isn't as developed as you'd like to believe.
Reply 66
What? Rape is ILLEGAL!!!!!!

I think I am done with you mate.

Yeah I know it's illegal lol, think you might have misunderstood me?
Original post by Dandaman1
When we learn words weren't meant seriously, they shouldn't be taken seriously. It doesn't matter how horrific or morbid they appear to be. Even some jokes by mainstream comedians can appear pretty appalling on paper. That's why context and intent matter, and jokes are jokes, even if they aren't to your taste. People have been expelled and had their education derailed because of jokes they made semi-privately on the internet, off campus. If you support that, your sense of empathy and moral maturity isn't as developed as you'd like to believe.

Cool story bro.

I guess those who say “Kill Jews” or “Blow up Buckingham Palace” in a joking way should be allowed to have their time.
Original post by StriderHort
He'd be rattled right out the service in disgrace and outrage should pages of these jokes appear in public with his name on them, that's surely obvious? :redface:

Alright, fire a large proportion of the fire, ambulance, police and army servicemen?

Jokes are jokes - You think people storming the beaches of Normandy cried when a few jokes were made?
Reply 69

Have you never once said, "I'm going to kill you" when someone was messing about with you? Is that not the same thing?
Original post by Joe312
Yeah I know it's illegal lol, think you might have misunderstood me?

Its pointless arguing against political correctness. This might have warranted punishment but not to this extent, I feel. I think I have already seen you argue for speech in another thread but you know how pointless this is.

If this was a bunch of girls joking about how they fantasised about castrating lads

Original post by 999tigger
If your behaviour impacts on other students and breaks the policies of the university, then yes. They should have thought about that before.
If you cant follow and respect the rules of the uni, then maybe dont join.

Last time I checked Bahar Mustafa wasn't banned from university for saying "kill all white men", despite being investigated by the police.

Explain how that works?
Original post by spidle
Have you never once said, "I'm going to kill you" when someone was messing about with you? Is that not the same thing?

No, i have not because that is a threat. We should be careful with allowing “jokes” about rape, murder, racism etc.
Middle class white people have the worst banter smh. Legit should be expelled just for being this unfunny.
Original post by Dandaman1

But for all we know they are a would-be rapist gang, they certainly talk like they are. Don't you take rapist-gang crime seriously?
Original post by elyptical1
Alright, fire a large proportion of the fire, ambulance, police and army servicemen?

Jokes are jokes - You think people storming the beaches of Normandy cried when a few jokes were made?

Yes, they would be sacked if that became public, the vast majority of emergency personnel aren't stupid enough to post such things online with their name next to it and get warned about it when they sign up. :smile:

I'm at a loss why you are comparing frat boys to emergency personnel and Normandy beach soldiers BTW? (I suspect they also would have had the decorum not to repeat certain elements of soldiers humour in public)
Original post by Axiomasher
But for all we know they are a would-be rapist gang, they certainly talk like they are. Don't you take rapist-gang crime seriously?

What if this was girls that joked about castrating all lads? Or kill all white men?

Original post by somemightsay888
Middle class white people have the worst banter smh. Legit should be expelled just for being this unfunny.

This I can agree with.
Original post by somemightsay888

No, middle-class Indians have the worst sense of humour! Offensively dull humour.
Original post by S-man10
What if this was girls that joked about castrating all lads? Or kill all white men?

They should receive the same treatment.
They should receive the same treatment.

Tell that to Bahar Mustafa and Goldsmith Uni who wasn't kicked out last time I checked, despite police investigations.
Original post by Joe312
What counts as funny is subjective. You are free to have your opinion about what's funny, but it's disgusting to suggest you should be able to ban anyone with a different opinion.

I didn't realise wishing rape on someone was an opinion nowadays 🤔🤔

Quick Reply

Latest