The Student Room Group

Maths Edexcel Paper 3 unofficial markscheme

Scroll to see replies

The team question was definitely 240 matches. Here's a quick explanation.

Since 16 is too many to write out easily, let's assume there were 5 teams A, B, C, D, and E.

Each team plays two matches with each of the other teams. This just means that every team played every other team twice.

So starting with:

AB, AC, AD, AE
BA, BC, BD, BE
CA, CB, CD, CE
DA, DB, DC, DE
EA, EB, EC, ED

Here every team has played every other team twice - for example A has played C twice, in the AC and CA matches.

So when there are 5 teams, the total number of matches is 5 * (5-1) = 20 matches.

So we can write a formula n(n-1) for the number of matches where n is the number of teams.
With 16 teams, n = 16 so 16(16-1) = 16*15 = 240 matches.
(edited 5 years ago)
and then i found the area and the triangle that was left at the end then added all of them together and got the answer...did you do this as well?? 😭
Reply 82
Original post by itzme_02
yesssssss with 4 equal stripesss i done that as well thankk goddd

yeah because it was 4 equal strips and everyone else done 3 trapeziums and a triangle
Original post by realz_j
yeah because it was 4 equal strips and everyone else done 3 trapeziums and a triangle

ohhh damnn which one was right?? 3 trapezium and a triangle or just the 4 trapeziums with no triangle ??
Reply 84
3 trapeziums and a triangle is 4 equal strips
The 4 equal strips is for the x axis from 0 to 4 and not the triangle and trapezium.
Original post by GreenCub
The team question was definitely 240 matches. Here's a quick explanation.

Since 16 is too many to write out easily, let's assume there were 5 teams A, B, C, D, and E.

Each team plays two matches with each of the other teams. This just means that every team played every other team twice.

So starting with:

AB, AC, AD, AE
BA, BC, BD, BE
CA, CB, CD, CE
DA, DB, DC, DE
EA, EB, EC, ED

Here every team has played every other team twice - for example A has played C twice, in the AC and CA matches.

So when there are 5 teams, the total number of matches is 5 * (5-1) = 20 matches.

So we can write a formula n(n-1) for the number of matches where n is the number of teams.
With 16 teams, n = 16 so 16(16-1) = 16*15 = 240 matches.

I got 240 in my working out but not as my final answer will I get a mark?
240 matches played...
The 16 x 15 calculation includes each team playing each other twice.

1v2
1v3
1v4
1v5
1v6
1v7
1v8
1v9
1v10
1v11
1v12
1v13
1v14
1v15
1v16

This process continues exactly the same replacing '1' with each team number.
okay good
Reply 89
Original post by itzme_02
ohhh damnn which one was right?? 3 trapezium and a triangle or just the 4 trapeziums with no triangle ??[/Q

I done 4 trapeziums and said overestimate
Original post by lukeharris1505
Are you sure question 20 was 3/245? When you complete the ven diagram, you end up with 4/50 that spoke only Spanish. Since they said they chose two people and asked for the probability of both of them spoke only Spanish, wouldn't it be 4/50 x 3/49 as you can't get the same person twice. So it would be 6/1225? I'm not entirely sure about this, someone correct me if i am wrong

no it was 6 people that spoke only spanish hence 6/50 times 5/59 is 3/245
Question 13 was definitely 240 because it is (15+14+13...+2+1)*2 - add it up and you'll see
15x16=240 they already play eachother twice in doing this
For q14 wasn't it the smaller one had surface area 10? I couldve misread the question tho...
Reply 94
Can someone explain how it was 6/50 that was Spanish and not 4/50? I'm assuming i made a dumb mistake.

I also got 4/50
Are you sure question 20 was 3/245? When you complete the ven diagram, you end up with 4/50 that spoke only Spanish. Since they said they chose two people and asked for the probability of both of them spoke only Spanish, wouldn't it be 4/50 x 3/49 as you can't get the same person twice. So it would be 6/1225? I'm not entirely sure about this, someone correct me if i am wrong

Yeah it said 7 people knew spanish and german, but it didn't say those 7 didn't know french, so you have to take the 2 who knew all three languages away from the 7 to get 5 people who knew german and spanish only. That means 2 extra spanish-onlyers
For q10 did anyone else put 11 flashes bcause of the flash at 0s?
damn. should get at least 3 marks for that i hope
Original post by jk1947
wasn’t the matches question 480 because they play each team twice??
that’s what I got :/
No It's 240 because its the total number of matches played. 16 teams play 15 matches each but this includes teams playing eachother so the total matches is 16x15/2. Each team plays twice though so then its just 16x15

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending