Is this academic goal achievable?Or unrealistic?

Watch
Yusuf.3
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
My gcse's have almost reached it's end.I can say it has been ok but not the greatest.The acadmeic goal that i wanted to acheive for a long time has been going to oxford/cambridge.Taking into consideration that i might acheive a combination of 7/8/9s in prediction, majority 7's.I want to study maths in one of these university's but due to my plentiful of mistakes in my exams, silly mistakes,it seems impossible to acheive a 9, most probably an 8. And so taking that into consideration too, as well as me working harder for a*'s in a levels. Is it a goal that i should strive for, or does is it seem unrealistic and so should i think of an alternative goal
ZdYnm8vuNR
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Yusuf.3)
My gcse's have almost reached it's end.I can say it has been ok but not the greatest.The acadmeic goal that i wanted to acheive for a long time has been going to oxford/cambridge.Taking into consideration that i might acheive a combination of 7/8/9s in prediction, majority 7's.I want to study maths in one of these university's but due to my plentiful of mistakes in my exams, silly mistakes,it seems impossible to acheive a 9, most probably an 8. And so taking that into consideration too, as well as me working harder for a*'s in a levels. Is it a goal that i should strive for, or does is it seem unrealistic and so should i think of an alternative goal
You can definitely do it. Look up ibzmo on youtube, he went from getting 2 As, 2Bs and 1C at GCSE to A*A*A at A-level and got into cambridge.
ZdYnm8vuNR
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Also if you want to study maths at uni in those unis, make sure to do A-Level maths + Further mass and also a maths-heavy science such as physics. If you can, take 4 a levels as that will increase your chances.
username3012438
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Even if it is unrealistic what does it matter?

If you fail you'll fail much higher than you would if you set a realistic goal.
furriesriseup8
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ZdYnm8vuNR)
You can definitely do it. Look up ibzmo on youtube, he went from getting 2 As, 2Bs and 1C at GCSE to A*A*A at A-level and got into cambridge.
he actually got 0 As 2Bs rest Cs and Ds
Yusuf.3
Rep:
Also if you want to study maths at uni in those unis, make sure to do A-Level maths + Further mass and also a maths-heavy science such as physics. If you can, take 4 a levels as that will increase your chances.
Iam taking Maths,Further maths,physics and chemistry
ZdYnm8vuNR
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Iam taking Maths,Further maths,physics and chemistry
Will you do maths in y12 and then further maths in y13?

I'll be taking really similar subjects! (Maths in Y12, Further maths in Y13, and Computer science + physics for both years)
Yusuf.3
Rep:
Will you do maths in y12 and then further maths in y13?

I'll be taking really similar subjects! (Maths in Y12, Further maths in Y13, and Computer science + physics for both years)
Yh i think so
stoneroses38383u
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Stop using Ibz Mo as an example. He only got in because of his extenuating circumstances, filling the diversity quota and applying for a subject with low applicant numbers (HSPS). You think that’ll apply to a student with no extenuating circumstances looking to study Maths (probably the 2nd most popular course)?
ZdYnm8vuNR
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by stoneroses38383u)
Stop using Ibz Mo as an example. He only got in because of his extenuating circumstances, filling the diversity quota and applying for a subject with low applicant numbers (HSPS). You think that’ll apply to a student with no extenuating circumstances looking to study Maths (probably the 2nd most popular course)?
Its just an example of someone who managed to get great results with determination. Obviously for something like maths he'll need better results (A*A*A*A or A*A*A*A*), but the thing is it's possible.
thotproduct
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
i take the same subs, maths, fm, physics, chem, i did 2017 9-1, if you have any questions ask ahead
MontyPythonese
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by thotproduct)
i take the same subs, maths, fm, physics, chem, i did 2017 9-1, if you have any questions ask ahead
what grade did u get in gcse maths?
thotproduct
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MontyPythonese)
what grade did u get in gcse maths?
got 9
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.41%
Okay (114)
29.01%
A bit lacking (150)
38.17%
Not good at all (92)
23.41%

Watched Threads