The Student Room Group

Death penalty - should we keep it?

Scroll to see replies

People should always be given the opportunity to change if they can then they should be given rehabilitation, if they can't then the oppropriate punishment should be carried out with a fair trial
rape, murder, those kind of extreme cases should be considered for capital punishment because any human that's willing to do that doesn't deserve to live....... :frown:
the death penalty is hypocritical because the state is doing exactly the same thing as the perpetrator. it's weird saying 'don't kill' but then saying it's okay for the law to kill. also it's harder staying alive
IMO we should have it in Britain. Our sentences are too short and we need a deterrent for criminals and more discipline in our judicial system.
No we should not have the death penalty because the judicial system is flawed and the state can easily apply the death penalty for offences that one should not be killed for. E.g. until 1998 a person could still get capital punishment for military treason.
Death penalty’s should only be allowed if the man/woman has committed crimes like mass murder. There are so many other ways to punish people, no matter how bad the crime is
Reply 26
You cant keep what you don't have.
Yes and no.
Yes because if they’ve done something so bad that a death penalty is considered then it needs to happen.
No because they should be made to suffer like everyone else, they shouldn’t be given the sweat relief of death.
Original post by Decipher
rape, murder, those kind of extreme cases should be considered for capital punishment because any human that's willing to do that doesn't deserve to live....... :frown:

i would extend it to burglary also :h:
Meh, I'm uneasy with government publicly holding such power, although I accept for our society to function some people just need killing, We're too good at creating monsters.
Original post by Pizza32
IMO we should have it in Britain. Our sentences are too short and we need a deterrent for criminals and more discipline in our judicial system.

The overwhelming majority of criminologists, the people who study this stuff, agree that it does not serve as a deterrent
Reply 31
Yes, but only when it's very clear they are guilty

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending