The Student Room Group

Should I consider Cambridge University for Geography?

I have always been an ambitious person and relative to my school have always been a high achiever. My interest primarily lies in Human Geography. What things should I consider and how should I evaluate them? Thanks.
(edited 3 years ago)
Sort of in the same boat.

Geography at Cambridge course is varied though, there are some physical components that are compulsory as far as I'm aware. Also, consider that you have to sit a GAA (admissions assessment) alongside your application and some colleges require essays too.

Durham is a good one if you want a more specific human geography course, they split it into a physical BSc and human BA which could possibly work for you. Entry requirements are similar to Cambridge for the BA (either AAA or A*AA - cant remember off the top of my head).
I'm fine with the admissions assessment, I quite like the idea of it to be honest. For some reason Durham doesn't attract me. I think LSE is the right balance for me. What do you think about my other choices?
Original post by VinVinWorld
I'm fine with the admissions assessment, I quite like the idea of it to be honest. For some reason Durham doesn't attract me. I think LSE is the right balance for me. What do you think about my other choices?

Hi there - obviously we'd prefer if you were to choose Oxford for Geography, but we'd definitely recommend applying for Oxbridge in any form! I wasn't wholly convinced about Oxford until I went up for interview, but never looked back afterwards. You have 5 options at the end of the day, so I think you could swap out your bottom choice for something that's been a dream for a while. However, you should always choose universities based on the course and how interesting they are to you - if you think you'd enjoy the LSE course more, go for that one! But I wouldn't rule out Oxbridge just yet. PM us if you have any questions about Oxbridge admissions - Oxford Geography Society
Original post by OxGeogSoc
Hi there - obviously we'd prefer if you were to choose Oxford for Geography, but we'd definitely recommend applying for Oxbridge in any form! I wasn't wholly convinced about Oxford until I went up for interview, but never looked back afterwards. You have 5 options at the end of the day, so I think you could swap out your bottom choice for something that's been a dream for a while. However, you should always choose universities based on the course and how interesting they are to you - if you think you'd enjoy the LSE course more, go for that one! But I wouldn't rule out Oxbridge just yet. PM us if you have any questions about Oxbridge admissions - Oxford Geography Society

Thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending