The Student Room Group

Tips for gym beginners??!?

So I’m 16 and have 2 GCSE exams left before I finish school and begin the holiday of a lifetime. I really want to use about a month of this time to really get in shape. I’m a pretty average, slender girl but really want a flat stomach and some definition like I did when I played sports when I was a bit younger. I’m pretty much willing to try anything I just have no idea where to start. Does anyone recommend anything for beginners? I have about a month to really attain this which I think is doable since I’ll also be eating well alongside it. Also, does anyone know of any cheap gyms at all? I also intend on doing a blog to document my journey and hopefully help and encourage others as well as myself! Thanks!
Reply 1
Hi noorh. Sounds like an amazing plan you have set after your GCSE's :smile:

First of all, YouTube has a lot of videos on specific workouts for burning fat and losing weight. Try and find fun ways to do so, for example, jump-ropes are really fun (Skipping), cycling, swimming and football. I would suggest taking up one of those hobbies as well as working out.

Now, working out doesn't need to be done in the Gym. I know people who prefer to do it in their houses away from the prying eyes of the public. Gyms tend to be full of people with nothing to do but stare. Consider buying a few weights, such as a kettlebell and doing deadlifts and squats, those really help with weight loss and with toning the legs.

Don't listen to every fitness-fanatic out there, everyone's got their own opinions' on the best way to lose fat. Just keep it fun, keep it simple and make sure to not go too hard on the junk when your exams are over :wink:

I hope it goes well for you :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Dee-313
Hi noorh. Sounds like an amazing plan you have set after your GCSE's :smile:

First of all, YouTube has a lot of videos on specific workouts for burning fat and losing weight. Try and find fun ways to do so, for example, jump-ropes are really fun (Skipping), cycling, swimming and football. I would suggest taking up one of those hobbies as well as working out.

Now, working out doesn't need to be done in the Gym. I know people who prefer to do it in their houses away from the prying eyes of the public. Gyms tend to be full of people with nothing to do but stare. Consider buying a few weights, such as a kettlebell and doing deadlifts and squats, those really help with weight loss and with toning the legs.

Don't listen to every fitness-fanatic out there, everyone's got their own opinions' on the best way to lose fat. Just keep it fun, keep it simple and make sure to not go too hard on the junk when your exams are over :wink:

I hope it goes well for you :smile:

Thanks for the advice Dee! I actually think I have some small weights lying around that my sister abandoned and I heard resistance bands are good too. I think that and YouTube will probably be the best start for me rn. :smile:
Literally any chain gym like "Pure" on "The gym" is good. I guess just up the protein a bit and lower the carbs - Lots of vegetables and no trash food... Lots of people on youtube...
Reply 4
Original post by elyptical1
Literally any chain gym like "Pure" on "The gym" is good. I guess just up the protein a bit and lower the carbs - Lots of vegetables and no trash food... Lots of people on youtube...

Yeah I think there one of those nearish me. I actually really love vegetables and stuff but I’m kinda thinking of being vegetarian at the the same time so I’ll have to look into other protein sources besides just meat. Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest