I need help with igcse chemistry and biology revision?!?!?!

Watch
AspiringAccount
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I've got my final few exams in January and chemistry is one of them. I have always been bad at revising subjects. I want to get a damn high grade for both Chemistry and biology.

Any help is appreciated.
Koko.loco.
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Definitely do lost of past paper questions then mark them yourself and look at which questions you keep getting wrong so you know where to focus your revision. It also means when you go into the exam you will be more confident answering questions. Physics and Maths Tutor is a great website that should have lots of resources for your courses. You need to find the best way for you to remember things. For me, if I need to memorise a process I'll draw a picture every time I go through it. I have a visual memory so in an exam I can start to draw the picture and it will trigger my memory of the information to go with it. It might take a while to find what works for you but just keep trying. Try to vary the way you revise because it does get boring so do a mixture of flash cards, mind maps etc. Making notes now will definitely benefit you when you come to needing to start learning the information but you do have a long time until January so don't panic yet about them! Just put aside time to go over things and gradually build up the amount that you do as you get closer to the exams and definitely ask for help when you're stuck
AspiringAccount
Rep:
?
(Original post by Koko.loco.)
Definitely do lost of past paper questions then mark them yourself and look at which questions you keep getting wrong so you know where to focus your revision. It also means when you go into the exam you will be more confident answering questions. Physics and Maths Tutor is a great website that should have lots of resources for your courses. You need to find the best way for you to remember things. For me, if I need to memorise a process I'll draw a picture every time I go through it. I have a visual memory so in an exam I can start to draw the picture and it will trigger my memory of the information to go with it. It might take a while to find what works for you but just keep trying. Try to vary the way you revise because it does get boring so do a mixture of flash cards, mind maps etc. Making notes now will definitely benefit you when you come to needing to start learning the information but you do have a long time until January so don't panic yet about them! Just put aside time to go over things and gradually build up the amount that you do as you get closer to the exams and definitely ask for help when you're stuck
Should I complete my coursework first before doing all of this?
Koko.loco.
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AspiringAccount)
Should I complete my coursework first before doing all of this?
As a general rule it's good to do your coursework as soon as possible so it's out of the way but don't rush it just to get it done because you want it to be as good as it can be. You can always do revision and coursework at the same time if you plan well. I would recommend making a revision timetable of the things you plan to complete every day (although some people prefer to wake up and see what they feel like doing because they get stressed if they fall behind their plan)
AspiringAccount
Rep:
?
(Original post by LarissaAlves)
^^ That's great advice. I second all of that!
Actually, if you read science blogs, that's exactly what they suggest: mix techniques, practice questions, visual memory. (e.g. http://www.learningscientists.org/bl...y=For+Students)

You should definitely do your coursework, but could also do revision, maybe 30-60 minutes a day, every 2 days, or so? I think Seneca would be perfect for that, because it covers all content and the sessions are only 10-minutes long, so you can fit them in your schedule quite easily! And there are courses for CIE IGCSE and Edexcel IGCSE (you didn't mention which one you're doing, but they have both anyway!) - www.senecalearning.com - You have to create an account, but it's all free, so don't worry.
That website sounds perfect, oh and btw I am doing Edexcel IGCSE. Thanks for the useful resources.
PrincessDiaries
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Im also giving my exams in January 2019. FOR both chemistry and biology, print out the specifications and revise every topic that is on the specifications since the examiner cant ask u any questions outside of the specifications. TRy explaining the topics to urself over and over again until u can explain each and every topic with ease.Read the main book for 3 times and read the Edexcel revision guide at least 2 times.You should then do the past papers.Do it from 2009 to 2016 and take 2017 and 2018 as self mocks. Highlight the questions u lost marks in and revise those topics over and over again until u get full marks each time.

FOR chemistry , memorise the colours ,the test for gases,the test for ions,the conditions,know how to do the calculations since that is worth a lot of marks in the exam.Learn the conditons in haber process,learn the eqautions in the blast furnace.Learn the flame test,test for sulphides,chlorides,and bromides,learn the test for unsaturation.learn the reactivity series and also properties of group 1, 7 and noble gases.MOst important is organic chemistry.KNow the properties of a homologous series,addition reactions,subsitution reactions,making ethanol from hydration and fermentation and its adv and disadv.KNow the properties of crude oil,fractional dstillation and the uses of the fractions and also know cracking and its conditions.learn the displayed formulas and repeated formulas for polychloroethane,polypropene,etc Learn esters and nylon.MOST IMPORTANT learn the giant structures and rate of reactionsALSO KNOW MAKING SALTS USING TITRATION AND PRECIPITATION.FACTINAL DISTILLATION,CHROMATOGRAPHY

MOst IMPORTANT CHAPTERS IN CHEMISTRY
-STRUCTURES AND BONDING(giant covalent,Giant ionic,Giant molecular, graphite and diamond and their properties)
-RATE OF REACTIONS(graphs,conditions,test for catalyst,catalyst function)
-ReacTIVITY SERIES(observations etc)
-ELECTROLYSIS
-PERIODIC TABLE
-MAKING SALTS
-SEPRATING AND ANALYSING
-ORGANIC CHEMISTRY
ALL MATH CHAPTERS

for biology,use youtube channel called science with hazel she has perfect answers.MOST IMPORTANT IN BIOLOGY IS CORONARY HEART DISEASE,EUTROPHICATION,ADVV AND DISdvantagesa OF CHEMICAL PESTICIDE AND BIOLOGICAL CONTROL,SMOKING EFFECTS,HEART,EFFECT OF EXERCISE,EYE,NERVOUS SYSTEM,NEGATIVE FEEBACK,ADH,HOMEOSTASIS,vasodilation,vasoconstriction,hair erector,menstraul cycle,all diagrams are important.oestrogen and progesterone functions in the cycle.transpiration,germination,greenhouse effect,global warming,deforestation,definiton of genotype, phenotype, codominance, pure breeding ,hybrid, test cross,gene,mutation,natural selection,learn the points for natural selection ,selective breeding,cloning a mammal,micropropagation and adv,making beer and yoghurt,

important chapter
smoking heart,coordination,reproductive,human influences in environment,naturl selection,homeostasis,selective breeding

also make notes out of the markschemes.
PLEASE PRAY FOR ME INSHAALLAH ILL GET A*s.IT literally took me an hour writing this and i hope u do well in ur exam.Good luck
Last edited by PrincessDiaries; 2 years ago
urlocalmcm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
CGP books and revising mark schemes and doing past papers saved me tbh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (184)
43.6%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.61%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.82%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (89)
21.09%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (42)
9.95%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise