The Student Room Group

AQA Level 2 Further Maths - 19/06/18 and 21/06/18 [Exam Discussion]

Heya! I made this thread because I haven't seen anyone talk about the AQA Level 2 Further Maths this year, so this is for us tools who have 2 extra exams after physics!

So how's everybody taking the exam prepared? Our teacher just left school for an entire half term meaning our class is so behind!

Specification: http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/aqa-certificate/further-mathematics-8360/spec-at-a-glance

Past Papers: http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/aqa-certificate/further-mathematics-8360/past-papers-and-mark-schemes

EDIT: For those looking for a challenge, @mrbubbles123 kindly made a paper 2 himself comprised of harder than usual questions: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=758050&d=1529527594
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi!

I took this exam last year actually, but I wanna see how the paper is this year :P.

How did you find the 2017 paper? I can tell you the mark I got in it :O
Original post by RickHendricks
Hi!

I took this exam last year actually, but I wanna see how the paper is this year :P.

How did you find the 2017 paper? I can tell you the mark I got in it :O

I haven't done any past papers yet :redface:. I'll probably do them all after physics.

How did you do? Was the paper harder than what you've practised?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by 3pointonefour
I haven't done any past papers yet :redface:. I'll probably do them all after physics.

How did you do? What the paper harder than what you've practiced?

The 2017 paper was definitely the hardest further maths AQA level 2 paper.

There were a lot of places to make simple mistakes.

I got A^ (that A** thingy, never understood why they needed it). I believe my mark was about 165/175 (i think haha)
Original post by RickHendricks
The 2017 paper was definitely the hardest further maths AQA level 2 paper.

There were a lot of places to make simple mistakes.

I got A^ (that A** thingy, never understood why they needed it). I believe my mark was about 165/175 (i think haha)

That makes me slightly worried about this year :frown:

165/175! That's amazing! Were others taking it with you in your school or was it just you?
That makes me slightly worried about this year :frown:

165/175! That's amazing! Were others taking it with you in your school or was it just you?

I was external. I took it on my own because I had to teach it myself. We didn't have FM teachers unfortunately :frown:

And don't worry. Practice makes perfect :smile:
Reply 6
I did this last year but I'm interested to hear about this year's questions because they are rather fun to solve. I need some more maths questions to keep myself busy now the GCSE is finished lol :smile:

Best of luck everyone!
Original post by Loci Pi
I did this last year but I'm interested to hear about this year's questions because they are rather fun to solve. I need some more maths questions to keep myself busy now the GCSE is finished lol :smile:

Best of luck everyone!

What grade did you get?
Reply 8
What grade did you get?

A^

In case you're looking for practice questions, I made a thread for the exam last year and some good questions and tips were posted. I bumped up the thread earlier so you might still see it in the Maths section of TSR :smile:
Reply 9
I also did this last year!
I believe I got around 168/175 so A^/A**
We were put into sets for GCSE maths and the top two sets just integrated the FM spec into the year so I actually still have no idea what topics were on the normal maths GCSE and which were only on FM!
Honestly I didn’t find it much harder than normal maths (probably for that reason!) but practise makes perfect!
Original post by Loci Pi
A^

In case you're looking for practice questions, I made a thread for the exam last year and some good questions and tips were posted. I bumped up the thread earlier so you might still see it in the Maths section of TSR :smile:

That thread was brilliant. I loved the practice questions put on there since they were so fun!

Congratulations on the A^ though, I'm aiming for the same!
I like how everyone on this thread seem to be people who did it last year. Long time, no see, lol :smile:
Original post by Loci Pi
I like how everyone on this thread seem to be people who did it last year. Long time, no see, lol :smile:

Haha I agree! I remember your thread was brilliant last year though Loci Pi! Definitely some nice questions on there~
Original post by Pastelx
I also did this last year!
I believe I got around 168/175 so A^/A**
We were put into sets for GCSE maths and the top two sets just integrated the FM spec into the year so I actually still have no idea what topics were on the normal maths GCSE and which were only on FM!
Honestly I didn’t find it much harder than normal maths (probably for that reason!) but practise makes perfect!

I honestly find the GCSE further maths easier than normal maths since the questions are much more direct and there's no annoying 5 mark wordy questions (or statistics :biggrin:)

The GCSE further maths exam style is a lot more like the A-level style. It's also has nicer questions :wink:
That thread was brilliant. I loved the practice questions put on there since they were so fun!

Congratulations on the A^ though, I'm aiming for the same!

I'm sure you'll get an A^, most of it (apart from differentiating and matrices and stuff) is on the GCSE, so it's nice try and approach most of the questions in a 'problem solving question' kind of way :smile:

Good luck :goodluck:
Original post by Pastelx
Haha I agree! I remember your thread was brilliant last year though Loci Pi! Definitely some nice questions on there~

Reply 16
Original post by Loci Pi

The exam was much more popular on TSR last year than normal. Apart from @3pointonefour there haven't been any posts about it that I've noticed but hopefully more people will show up in the coming days.
Original post by Notnek
The exam was much more popular on TSR last year than normal. Apart from @3pointonefour there haven't been any posts about it that I've noticed but hopefully more people will show up in the coming days.

I hope so :s-smilie:

Right now I'm the only one here actually taking the exam!
Reply 18
I hope so :s-smilie:

Right now I'm the only one here actually taking the exam!

I'm doing it as well. When did you start/are you starting to revise for it?
Original post by nk02
I'm doing it as well. When did you start/are you starting to revise for it?

I'm just going to start the Sunday after physics so I can get a day or two of rest before the final push of exams :smile:

What about you?

Quick Reply

Latest