The Student Room Group

Speech for deputy head of boarding

This is basically like the last question I asked, I am really stuck.
Do you mean that you have to give a speech? If you clarify what you are being asked to do that would really help me. I can assist with this, as I used to be a professional speechwriter for a prominent politician...
Reply 2
Yes, another speech.............
Ok, well what is the topic, who is the audience, and what is the time allotted?
Reply 4
Original post by LiyoS
Ok, well what is the topic, who is the audience, and what is the time allotted?

Well it's about why you want to be the deputy head of boarding, the audience is the boarders and the staff, time............next week.
Original post by K_bethebest
Well it's about why you want to be the deputy head of boarding, the audience is the boarders and the staff, time............next week.

OK, so you need to start by coming up with the three - no more than three - key messages you want to communicate. Then jot down some ideas under each heading, and structure them. Without knowing anything about what the role entails, I'd say the main headings are likely to be:

(1) your commitment to the school

(2) what you are going to bring to the role - your skills, knowledge, experience, your people skills, your team spirit (make sure this is not generic though, think about your USP - what makes you different and best suited for this role where can you add value?);

(3) the vision you have for the future. i.e., sell them a vision of tomorrow - once you have been in this role how will things be better. This could be ideas you have for strengthening school ties with the community, supporting boarders with additional needs; fund raising. But you need to have a vision. You can't just say "I'll hold this job and give you the status quo". Show some aspiration, but make sure it is realistic.You can't start promising things that are going to impossible to deliver, or cost loads of money. But you can promise to speak up for people who haven't got a voice and make sure that everyone feels include.

when I asked about timing - I meant - how long do you get to speak? You can pack a lot into a 5 minute speech, but make sure you do not overload your audience with information.

Structure your information well. And at the end sum up for them what you have said. repetition is a key technique for helping people remember your key messages. Keep the sum up punchy

Everyone else will start with something like "I've been a boarder here for 3 years and I want the role because I'm fun loving, helpful, and can do lots of stuff." So make your speech stand out. Start with an interesting fact. Or something that grabs their attention. or start with the vision thing - "i'd like you to imagine we're sitting here in 2019..." (then state all the positives which are your vision for a good school) Then tell them " it's often said there's a thin line between vision and hallucination, but if I'm appointed deputy head, I can make that vision a reality. I'd do it by involving people, by using the wealth of experience I have to...etc etc"
Then tell them the reason why you want to do these things is not for yourself, but to serve others, and to ensure the school continues to thrive. finish with an inspiring quote - "as Gandhi said, you should be the change you want to see in the world. Appoint me, allow me to represent and work for you, and together we can make positive change.

Does that help?
Reply 6
Original post by LiyoS
OK, so you need to start by coming up with the three - no more than three - key messages you want to communicate. Then jot down some ideas under each heading, and structure them. Without knowing anything about what the role entails, I'd say the main headings are likely to be:

(1) your commitment to the school

(2) what you are going to bring to the role - your skills, knowledge, experience, your people skills, your team spirit (make sure this is not generic though, think about your USP - what makes you different and best suited for this role where can you add value?);

(3) the vision you have for the future. i.e., sell them a vision of tomorrow - once you have been in this role how will things be better. This could be ideas you have for strengthening school ties with the community, supporting boarders with additional needs; fund raising. But you need to have a vision. You can't just say "I'll hold this job and give you the status quo". Show some aspiration, but make sure it is realistic.You can't start promising things that are going to impossible to deliver, or cost loads of money. But you can promise to speak up for people who haven't got a voice and make sure that everyone feels include.

when I asked about timing - I meant - how long do you get to speak? You can pack a lot into a 5 minute speech, but make sure you do not overload your audience with information.

Structure your information well. And at the end sum up for them what you have said. repetition is a key technique for helping people remember your key messages. Keep the sum up punchy

Everyone else will start with something like "I've been a boarder here for 3 years and I want the role because I'm fun loving, helpful, and can do lots of stuff." So make your speech stand out. Start with an interesting fact. Or something that grabs their attention. or start with the vision thing - "i'd like you to imagine we're sitting here in 2019..." (then state all the positives which are your vision for a good school) Then tell them " it's often said there's a thin line between vision and hallucination, but if I'm appointed deputy head, I can make that vision a reality. I'd do it by involving people, by using the wealth of experience I have to...etc etc"
Then tell them the reason why you want to do these things is not for yourself, but to serve others, and to ensure the school continues to thrive. finish with an inspiring quote - "as Gandhi said, you should be the change you want to see in the world. Appoint me, allow me to represent and work for you, and together we can make positive change.

Does that help?

Thank you so much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending