The Student Room Group

Santander unarranged overdraft fees

In June of last year I went over my arranged overdraft of £1500 with Santander by £41. I paid of this unarrranged overdraft shortly after, but the next month was charged a £50 fee for having been in the unarranged overdraft. This fee then took me back into the unarranged overdraft and obviously as a student I don't have quick access to money to get me back into my arranged overdraft. This then turned into a vicious cycle where even when my student loan comes in and covers the overdraft fee, by the next month when I am back at my overdraft limit I am being charged again for when I went over a month or so before. I went back through all my statements recently and found that each month at least £50 has been coming out of my account, sometimes an additional £30 will come out too, since June 2017. Sometimes it doesn't make any sense that these charges are coming out, but the man at Santander customer services said that he could explain each one as sometimes they will be linked to a month before and sometimes it'll be two months. Although I understand that they haven't done anything they weren't allowed to it seems pretty unfair as I have now been charged at least £600 since last year. I initially got a Santander student account because it came highly recommended, but it just seems as though they have taken advantage of the situation students are in where they are unable to pay off debt straight away. I was just wondering if there is anything I would be able to do to help with this. As I say they haven't done anything that they aren't specifically allowed to do, but they are obviously taking advantage of students in this situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending