The Student Room Group

TSR average intelligence?

Are most people on TSR generally above average academic intelligence?
Impossible to guage....

I would say higher then average especially established users, who are likely in university, most in respectable ones.
Yes, I mean look at all the maths threads where they’re all saying they got like 100 marks or so and I’m sitting here with like 50 lol
^ I think that too. But then I see some 'Trending thread titles' which makes me think maybe not.

I mean there are extremes at both ends.
F*** no!
Original post by uberteknik
F*** no!

Do you reckon? Why
Original post by GrandMedic
^ I think that too. But then I see some 'Trending thread titles' which makes me think maybe not.

I mean there are extremes at both ends.

That’s true, but I feel like the academic side of TSR seems to be dominated by the obnoxiously clever types
Original post by TruthHurtsok
Yes, I mean look at all the maths threads where they’re all saying they got like 100 marks or so and I’m sitting here with like 50 lol

Yeah that’s what I thought too!!
Reply 8
Apparently so with all the people claiming to have 100 A*s.
Definitely above average in the academic sense, yet many of those same people are totally lacking in common sense, social and interpersonal skills and other types of things that you need to do well in life.
Original post by UmamiPiñapple
Do you reckon? Why

Mathematics at GCSE and A-level is rote learning and following algorithms. (Gonna get shot down in flames for that.) It's like speaking a language or learning to read music. Practice is everything. You build a toolbox and then use the appropriate tool for the problem at hand. Lots of practice almost makes it instinctive.

Lots of people post in the maths forum which gives the impression that there are a lot of intelligent people. But it's a simple fact that maths is a very popular subject so of course it will have a proportionately higher post rate.

Other less popular subjects will have less people posting and exclusively or high written-content subjects like English, Geography, History etc. do not lend themselves to easy answers written in a couple of sentences. Consequently, there is less response because it takes a longer time to compose an answer. But do not confuse popularity of a subject with lots of above average intelligence people.

You will also find that for every one person with enough confidence to post, there will be 20 lurkers lapping up the answers but will almost never post.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by uberteknik
Mathematics at GCSE and A-level is rote learning and following algorithms. (Gonna get shot down in flames for that.) It's like speaking a language or learning to read music. Practice is everything. You build a toolbox and then use the appropriate tool for the problem at hand. Lots of practice almost makes it instinctive.

That's very true. Personally, I find it difficult to move on properly in maths before I've understood what I'm doing, why I'm doing it and where it comes from. However, the potential is definitely there for people to be able to do it simply from memory and practice. That doesn't show 'intelligence', I wouldn't say, just knowledge. The two are different.
Original post by TruthHurtsok
You think Maths scores demonstrate intelligence?:holmes:
Original post by 04MR17
You think Maths scores demonstrate intelligence?:holmes:

I hope so or else I'm really dumb.
Reply 14
Yes and no.
Original post by Kakemono
I hope so or else I'm really dumb.
Maths scores demonstrate how good someone is at doing that Maths paper. Not how intelligent someone is.
Original post by 04MR17
Maths scores demonstrate how good someone is at doing that Maths paper. Not how intelligent someone is.

I completely agree. I guess academia isn’t really a measure of intelligence in the grand scheme of life.

Quick Reply

Latest