The Student Room Group

flopped exams

ive had 2/3 of my biology exams and they have gone terribly.
the first exam was actually ok but i made SO many stupid mistakes under pressure and the second exam was SO HARD but others found it challenging as well.
i am just so worried because i need a B to get into my firm and there us NO WAY that i am going to get that now. it's so annoying because i tried so so SO hard for this subject but making loads of silly mistakes have let me down and mean im not going to get the grade i worked so hard for.

if i get below a B i really do not want to retake my exams because i know how capable i am and these exams just have not allowed me to show my full potential. i want to do a biology related course at uni so need at least a B.

as i do not want to retake if i so badly what other options are there (apart from clearing) ? bearing in mind i would like to go to uni
(edited 5 years ago)
I know you said apart from clearing, but another uni might accept you to do the same course.

My friend failed his AS levels but retook them this summer, but he didn’t go to a sixth form to do it he just revised the ones he failed and entered for the exam so it was like a year off but slight revision and he passed second time round. Maybe that could be an option? Just treat it like a gap year and do a little extra work?
Reply 2
Original post by emilyvioletxxx
I know you said apart from clearing, but another uni might accept you to do the same course.

My friend failed his AS levels but retook them this summer, but he didn’t go to a sixth form to do it he just revised the ones he failed and entered for the exam so it was like a year off but slight revision and he passed second time round. Maybe that could be an option? Just treat it like a gap year and do a little extra work?

i guess if i get below a C im going to have to retake if i dont get into any unis through clearing. im just feeling so disheartened as my hard work has not paid off at all, literally dreading results day and i feel like my summer is going to be rubbish as im just constantly thinking about how terrible my exams went
Aren't you a witch Sabrina? Just make some kind of potion to help with your exams... sorry.

Why don't you consider a foundation year? Most foundation year entry requirements are around a C grade, there should be courses related to biology. use that as a safety net tho.

For now, try the best you can on your remaining exams and taking plenty of breaks so that you aren't overwhelmed with anxiety. Some form of medidation may help as well. In the end of the day, whilst its good to give importance of your exams, they aren't the end of all means. Try to do past papers in an exam setting as much as you can to condition yourself, to avoid those silly mistakes. gl
Original post by sabrina16
i guess if i get below a C im going to have to retake if i dont get into any unis through clearing. im just feeling so disheartened as my hard work has not paid off at all, literally dreading results day and i feel like my summer is going to be rubbish as im just constantly thinking about how terrible my exams went

Im exactly the same, my first biology paper went AWFUL I didn’t even finish it and the second one I thought was okay but looking at the marksheme it wasn’t so great. I’m hoping to do psychology at uni, I only need CCC but I’ve never got above a C in biology in my life 😭 I’m sure you’ll do fine though, I’m dreading results day too
It’s happened now so worrying won’t help. Do your best in the upcoming exam.

It’s possible your firm will still accept you if you’ve not done as well as you’d hoped. If not, you can call them to ask, or you enter clearing. Wait until results day to figure it out, you’ll be more than fine.
Reply 6
Original post by Sahyun
Aren't you a witch Sabrina? Just make some kind of potion to help with your exams... sorry.

Why don't you consider a foundation year? Most foundation year entry requirements are around a C grade, there should be courses related to biology. use that as a safety net tho.

For now, try the best you can on your remaining exams and taking plenty of breaks so that you aren't overwhelmed with anxiety. Some form of medidation may help as well. In the end of the day, whilst its good to give importance of your exams, they aren't the end of all means. Try to do past papers in an exam setting as much as you can to condition yourself, to avoid those silly mistakes. gl

ahah i wish i could make some sort of potion. only problem with a foundation year is that because the course i want to apply for is so specific that none of the unis i want to go to offer it, otherwise it would be an option :frown:
School doesn’t define you
ive had 2/3 of my biology exams and they have gone terribly.
the first exam was actually ok but i made SO many stupid mistakes under pressure and the second exam was SO HARD but others found it challenging as well.
i am just so worried because i need a B to get into my firm and there us NO WAY that i am going to get that now. it's so annoying because i tried so so SO hard for this subject but making loads of silly mistakes have let me down and mean im not going to get the grade i worked so hard for.

if i get below a B i really do not want to retake my exams because i know how capable i am and these exams just have not allowed me to show my full potential. i want to do a biology related course at uni so need at least a B.

as i do not want to retake if i so badly what other options are there (apart from clearing) ? bearing in mind i would like to go to uni

Every paper counts! Do not give up because paper three can make all the difference as it's where people drop the most marks.
Try and make the most of the time left and really do your best in the last paper.
I found the second paper weird as ****, it went terribly tbh. None of the second half of the paper made any sense. What exam board are you? I’m WJEC
Reply 10
Original post by seriouscandidate
Every paper counts! Do not give up because paper three can make all the difference as it's where people drop the most marks.
Try and make the most of the time left and really do your best in the last paper.

my last paper is worth the least out of the three but i have a lot more time than my last two to prepare for it as ive mostly had 2 exams per day so far which has restricted my time. hopefully this last paper goes really well
Reply 11
Original post by Mystelle
I found the second paper weird as ****, it went terribly tbh. None of the second half of the paper made any sense. What exam board are you? I’m WJEC

yes!! my exam was all application and little content (and lots of weird maths q’s which i got all wrong). im on the ocr exam board
yes!! my exam was all application and little content (and lots of weird maths q’s which i got all wrong). im on the ocr exam board

Yep all exam boards allocate 30% marks to AO1 (direct content recall), 50% to AO2 (application) and 20% to AO3 (random suggest/evaluate questions which I will probably never get marks in lol)

Yeah I heard really bad things about OCR this year :frown: Hopefully the grade boundaries will be low though! For WJEC usually 50% is a B, 60% is an A and A* is 70%.
You never know, the grade boundaries might be pretty low this year. I just finished my AS biology, 100% sure I did f****** awful but my teacher said the pass mark for biology last year was only 22% :s-smilie:
ahah i wish i could make some sort of potion. only problem with a foundation year is that because the course i want to apply for is so specific that none of the unis i want to go to offer it, otherwise it would be an option :frown:

Ah that's unfortunate. As FloralHybrid as said, perhaps your firm might accept you if you're a grade below their requirement, so keep that hope with you throughout the summer along with the chance of you getting the grades you wanted. Sure you may think the chances may be low, but they are certainly not zero, and you can elevate them by trying your best on the remaing paper. I hope that they go well.

If things don't go according to plan you have two options: retake or do a foundation year at another uni and apply in the next cycle for the uni that you had applied this year, they act as A levels and transferring is quite easy. That is if you are adamant on going to uni in the next academic year. If not and you want to save money, then retaking is your best bet. Since Biology is of your concern, you can pretty much consider next year as your gap year in which you may want to do many things you want whilst studying for your Biology exam. A lot of people take gap years, so don't be discouraged by it of the situation ever arises.

Try your best to not leave any more regrets, and enjoy the summer following it.
Reply 15
Original post by Mystelle
Yep all exam boards allocate 30% marks to AO1 (direct content recall), 50% to AO2 (application) and 20% to AO3 (random suggest/evaluate questions which I will probably never get marks in lol)

Yeah I heard really bad things about OCR this year :frown: Hopefully the grade boundaries will be low though! For WJEC usually 50% is a B, 60% is an A and A* is 70%.

those grade boundaries are about the same for OCR, the exams are so hard its even difficult to get 50%, i guess we will just have to wait and see how we did
Reply 16
Original post by Roindiana28
You never know, the grade boundaries might be pretty low this year. I just finished my AS biology, 100% sure I did f****** awful but my teacher said the pass mark for biology last year was only 22% :s-smilie:

yeah the pass mark was very low last year, i somehow managed to get a B as AS but know people who did just as much revision as i did and got D’s so it all just depends how you perform in the exam. you never know though, i came out of one of my AS exams expecting a U on one of the papers and got a C on the paper !
Reply 17
Original post by Sahyun
Ah that's unfortunate. As FloralHybrid as said, perhaps your firm might accept you if you're a grade below their requirement, so keep that hope with you throughout the summer along with the chance of you getting the grades you wanted. Sure you may think the chances may be low, but they are certainly not zero, and you can elevate them by trying your best on the remaing paper. I hope that they go well.

If things don't go according to plan you have two options: retake or do a foundation year at another uni and apply in the next cycle for the uni that you had applied this year, they act as A levels and transferring is quite easy. That is if you are adamant on going to uni in the next academic year. If not and you want to save money, then retaking is your best bet. Since Biology is of your concern, you can pretty much consider next year as your gap year in which you may want to do many things you want whilst studying for your Biology exam. A lot of people take gap years, so don't be discouraged by it of the situation ever arises.

Try your best to not leave any more regrets, and enjoy the summer following it.

thank you for helping me! i guess there is no point in worrying as there is literally nothing i can do, i guess im just feeling down because my efforts didnt pay off. i guess thats just the way things are

Quick Reply

Latest