Should I change my Alevel choices? Are my Alevels too difficult? Watch

username3989988
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi :wavey:
I'm in year 11 and I am about to finish my GCSEs. :woo:
I chose my Alevels a while ago but I'm not really sure or content with my choices.
Currently I have chosen:
Maths
Physics
Biology
German
My main concern is biology as I have looked at the syllabus and it's all the topics I don't enjoy. However the only other potential subject I might choose is further maths but I'm not sure if this is too challenging for me. I have no clue what I want to study after school but I know I want to go to university. I am predicted a 9 in maths, an A* in statistics, an 8 in physics (but I reaaaaallly enjoy it) and a 7/8 in biology. I already have an A* in German.
Do any of you have advice on which would be better suited to me? How difficult are the options I have chosen? Would it be better for me to do three only do maths, physics and German? I do German externally and may do this a year early, would this be an issue?
Thanks for any advice or replies to this thread!
Last edited by username3989988; 5 months ago
username3989988
Rep:
?
kathrynadelle
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I’ve just finished AS, I did Biology and hated most of the topics on the spec, don’t know if I’m carrying it on but feel like I have to
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Dazeo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Are you German born/parents German?
username3989988
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dazeo)
Are you German born/parents German?
Yes my mum is German. I think taking German 1st year and only two at school work allow me to really focus and do better but is that too little?
username3989988
Rep:
?
(Original post by kathrynadelle)
I’ve just finished AS, I did Biology and hated most of the topics on the spec, don’t know if I’m carrying it on but feel like I have to
Yeah, that's like me and GCSEs now, at least mine are over. There's no point continuing if you have no motivation as joy will probably just get s bad grade in the end
kathrynadelle
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by MaizieAmyr)
Yeah, that's like me and GCSEs now, at least mine are over. There's no point continuing if you have no motivation as joy will probably just get s bad grade in the end
If you feel like you won’t enjoy it don’t bother taking it, I haven’t had motivation for it all year but wasn’t smart like you and looked at the spec before taking it. I think further maths will complement and help you with maths, my friend takes fm (as well as maths) and she says it’s difficult but she does really enjoy it so she’s willing to put the work in for it.
username3989988
Rep:
?
If you feel like you won’t enjoy it don’t bother taking it, I haven’t had motivation for it all year but wasn’t smart like you and looked at the spec before taking it. I think further maths will complement and help you with maths, my friend takes fm (as well as maths) and she says it’s difficult but she does really enjoy it so she’s willing to put the work in for it.
Thanks! I'm also a bit worried as maths is apparently extremely difficult and so it physics so I don't know if 4 a levels will be too much considering all but German are difficult and all of them are time consuming
SarcAndSpark
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
There is a lot of content for A-level Biology, but if it interests you, it is probably easier than further maths. What are the biology topics that interest you/don't interest you? Keeping biology will keep more doors open for future uni courses than further maths. Is chemistry another alternative? Or what about something like psychology?

If German could be considered a native language for you, a lot of unis won't consider it towards your A-level offer. However it is still worthwhile getting the qualification IMO, as a language A-level could help make you more employable in the future. Doing German a year early may help leave you more time to revise in year 13 as well.
username3989988
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
There is a lot of content for A-level Biology, but if it interests you, it is probably easier than further maths. What are the biology topics that interest you/don't interest you? Keeping biology will keep more doors open for future uni courses than further maths. Is chemistry another alternative? Or what about something like psychology?

If German could be considered a native language for you, a lot of unis won't consider it towards your A-level offer. However it is still worthwhile getting the qualification IMO, as a language A-level could help make you more employable in the future. Doing German a year early may help leave you more time to revise in year 13 as well.
That's really helpful thanks! I enjoy diseases and the heart, hormones and the nervous system but the alevel course is mainly dna and ecosystems which I despise. I don't like chemistry so that's not an option. I never considered psychology, do you know how science based it is or is it a lot of written work? I will definitely look into that!
They really don't consider it if you are native??? That seems unfair! I'll look into that more, thanks for telling me.
kathrynadelle
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Thanks! I'm also a bit worried as maths is apparently extremely difficult and so it physics so I do t know if 4 a levels will be too much considering two of them are difficult and all three are time consuming
There’s a lot of maths in physics or so I’m told, so all your subjects will overlap which should mean there will be a little less learning on your part. I think with maths and maths based subjects it’s just about practice, and once you understand it, which you will eventually, then it will be fine.
Doublletrouble
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I chose my Alevels a while ago but I'm not really sure or content with my choices.
Currently I have chosen:
Maths
Physics
Biology
German
My main concern is biology as I have looked at the syllabus and it's all the topics I don't enjoy. However the only other potential subject I might choose is further maths but I'm not sure if this is too challenging for me. I have no clue what I want to study after school but I know I want to go to university. I am predicted a 9 in maths, an A* in statistics, an 8 in physics (but I reaaaaallly enjoy it) and a 7/8 in biology. I already have an A* in German.
Do any of you have advice on which would be better suited to me? How difficult are the options I have chosen? Would it be better for me to do three only do maths, physics and German? I do German externally and may do this a year early, would this be an issue?
I'm currently sitting my year 13 A level exams: psychology, economics and politics. In all honesty A levels is the most stressful thing that any student goes through. No matter what subjects you take you will feel the same pressure. My advice is to DEFINITELY take 3 A-levels you are not able to manage 4, especially since exams are linear and way harder right now.
In wish you the best x
kathrynadelle
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
That's really helpful thanks! I enjoy diseases and the heart, hormones and the nervous system but the alevel course is mainly dna and ecosystems which I despise. I don't like chemistry so that's not an option. I never considered psychology, do you know how science based it is or is it a lot of written work? I will definitely look into that!
They really don't consider it if you are native??? That seems unfair! I'll look into that more, thanks for telling me.
I take Psychology, it’s an essay based subject however there is a little science in it. There’s a topic called biopsychology, which is all to do with hormones, the nervous system etc. However I would definitely recommend looking at the other topics before deciding as you really do need to enjoy it in order to succeed in it as it’s very content heavy.
username3989988
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doublletrouble)
I'm currently sitting my year 13 A level exams: psychology, economics and politics. In all honesty A levels is the most stressful thing that any student goes through. No matter what subjects you take you will feel the same pressure. My advice is to DEFINITELY take 3 A-levels you are not able to manage 4, especially since exams are linear and way harder right now.
In wish you the best x
Good luck in your exams! Do you think it would work as I am doing German in my first year?
username3989988
Rep:
?
I take Psychology, it’s an essay based subject however there is a little science in it. There’s a topic called biopsychology, which is all to do with hormones, the nervous system etc. However I would definitely recommend looking at the other topics before deciding as you really do need to enjoy it in order to succeed in it as it’s very content heavy.
Hmm, I'm not great at essay based subjects so I think my options are limited to maths, physics, German or maths, physics, fm, German.
Doublletrouble
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Some aspects of science but psychology is a social science thus mainly based on learning many theories.
And thank you
username3989988
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doublletrouble)
Some aspects of science but psychology is a social science thus mainly based on learning many theories.
And thank you
Ok thanks, it doesn't particularly suit me then. Do you think I would be able to dear with doing 4 alevel if I do one of them in my first year?
Shadowdraconis
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Currently I have chosen:
Maths
Physics
Biology
German
From your grades id say go for further maths but if u want to keep your uni options open do biology. I'm doing AS biology ATM and I have to say I'm not enjoying it that much (mostly cos of the amount of stuff you just need to memorize in such a short space of time) but on the plus side, the content is a lot more interesting than GCSE.
kathrynadelle
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hmm, I'm not great at essay based subjects so I think my options are limited to maths, physics, German or maths, physics, fm, German.
I think those 4 are possible, I also take Spanish which doesn’t really require much effort apart from the film which you study and the book (Year 2). You have to write 2 essays at A2 (1 at AS) just to warn you idk if you knew or not but I guess it’s about how much pressure you want to put on yourself
Shadowdraconis
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
There’s a lot of maths in physics or so I’m told, so all your subjects will overlap which should mean there will be a little less learning on your part. I think with maths and maths based subjects it’s just about practice, and once you understand it, which you will eventually, then it will be fine.
And there's also a lottt of physics in maths 😭😭😭😭 I thought dropping physics was gonna mean that I'd never do physics again... I was wrong
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?

Yes (161)
18.51%
No (528)
60.69%
Not really bothered about them (181)
20.8%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise