The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

This uni is a ****hole

Dear 2018 undergrads,

Do not attend this institution, you will regret it for the rest of the time you are there.

- It is so poorly mismanaged that the students begin to suffer. I know during my year I submitted assessments where I got NO response for over a month. There was no proper guidance/teaching.
- Some of the halls have a too diverse mix of students. E.g in my flat, some were there for 3 yr, some for one, some for only a term, meaning it's difficult socially to make friends.
- the lecturers do the bare minimum with you and expect you to do the rest. They have a lazy, "couldn't care less" kind of atitude.
- The staff refuse to listen to any constructive criticism, you are told that students' opinion is invalid (I am a rep for my course so i know this personally).
- Threaten their students into conformity and provide little/no assistance in times of crisis. (I suffer with anxiety and received no help from KCL)
- living in London is too expensive for it to be worth it on top of the reasons outlined above. For your own sake, choose another London uni or go to another RG if you are considering this cessepit of a place.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

spill the tea
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by Volibear
What's their marking policy? Do they say it will be less than a month? How big is your course year group?

Most of the friends you make in halls are friends of convenience and you'll never speak to them after first year. Societies and your course are better for making friends.

This happens are universities across the country, especially the research powerhouses. Learn the art of independent learning.

What did the say exactly? Do you have it in writing?

Fair enough. I've heard numerous times that the pastoral care at King's is terrible. But once again, this happens across the country, especially at bigger universities.

How do you know that these problems don't happen at other London universities? As a UCL graduate, I can tell you that those problems exist there too.

Dissecting it like the surgeon you’ll be one day
Reply 3
But the real question is which university is he talking about?
Reply 4
@Zaspo King's in London
Reply 5
Original post by Zaspo

Kings College London :smile:

Yikes, harsh. But I like all the honesty here
Sounds like someone's a bit salty about paying £9250/year for some potassium chloride :biggrin:
Reply 7
@Volibear

Their policy is 2/3 weeks usually, however in this instance, we had the UCU strikes but then one or two of my seminar leaders took more time off work so I was not taught properly for the majority of the second part of my module.

I acknowledge that this is an issue with London universities and UCL included. I was considering going to UCL or simply leaving London altogether.

I don't think being taught so little is good value for money when we pay £9,250 to be there per annum? Not to mention the accommodation costs and maintenance loan debt at the end of it. We don't pay money to teach ourselves, we pay to be guided properly hence the term "TUITION fees".

I do a joint hons and my coursemates on one half are all from the same country, and on the other pretty antisocial, so it's hard.
Original post by evabrook
@Volibear

Their policy is 2/3 weeks usually, however in this instance, we had the UCU strikes but then one or two of my seminar leaders took more time off work so I was not taught properly for the majority of the second part of my module.

I acknowledge that this is an issue with London universities and UCL included. I was considering going to UCL or simply leaving London altogether.

I don't think being taught so little is good value for money when we pay £9,250 to be there per annum? Not to mention the accommodation costs and maintenance loan debt at the end of it. We don't pay money to teach ourselves, we pay to be guided properly hence the term "TUITION fees".

I do a joint hons and my coursemates on one half are all from the same country, and on the other pretty antisocial, so it's hard.

Russell groups are notoriously research led amd the higher up ones expect you to do independent study.......

Nottingham is no different but we get alot of support amd have alot more staff dedicated to us.

Its also a different vibe because it isnt London.

But nonetheless its up to you to do the work.

You can't blame the uni for diversity...thats just the name of the game in a pay for play university system, they take those with the grades and those who will pay

Toughen up, your heading into second year.
Reply 9
Really, I was considering leaving my uni to start again at Kings. Is it really that shiite?
Original post by dddd1
Really, I was considering leaving my uni to start again at Kings. Is it really that shiite?

Yes if you’re in a RG elsewhere, stay put!
Dear 2018 undergrads,

Do not attend this institution, you will regret it for the rest of the time you are there.

- It is so poorly mismanaged that the students begin to suffer. I know during my year I submitted assessments where I got NO response for over a month. There was no proper guidance/teaching.
- Some of the halls have a too diverse mix of students. E.g in my flat, some were there for 3 yr, some for one, some for only a term, meaning it's difficult socially to make friends.
- the lecturers do the bare minimum with you and expect you to do the rest. They have a lazy, "couldn't care less" kind of atitude.
- The staff refuse to listen to any constructive criticism, you are told that students' opinion is invalid (I am a rep for my course so i know this personally).
- Threaten their students into conformity and provide little/no assistance in times of crisis. (I suffer with anxiety and received no help from KCL)
- living in London is too expensive for it to be worth it on top of the reasons outlined above. For your own sake, choose another London uni or go to another RG if you are considering this cessepit of a place.

- Yep the lecturers don’t reply to emails quickly if at all and the administration just tends to ignore you.

- you’re lucky you werernt kicked out of your accommodation for summer school students!

- agreed lecturers seem to care less compared with other RG universities that I’ve heard about.

- yeah course reps are treated as a joke

-one was was forced to buy voice dictation software to write his essay. Have you ever used Siri to search for anything!?

- yep London is pricey why pay £20 club entry and £5 pints when you could get in for free and spend £2.5 a pint!
Original post by AKingsScholar
- Yep the lecturers don’t reply to emails quickly if at all and the administration just tends to ignore you.

- you’re lucky you werernt kicked out of your accommodation for summer school students!

- agreed lecturers seem to care less compared with other RG universities that I’ve heard about.

- yeah course reps are treated as a joke

-one was was forced to buy voice dictation software to write his essay. Have you ever used Siri to search for anything!?

- yep London is pricey why pay £20 club entry and £5 pints when you could get in for free and spend £2.5 a pint!

Why did somebody need to use voice dictation?
Original post by Andrew97
Why did somebody need to use voice dictation?

He burnt himself severely like third degrees as sin hospital but then the uni said he could either hand in on their 3 weeks deadline extension, or redo the degree year.

Just not emphatic in the slightest. Even with medical Drs evidence and all!
Reply 14
Dear 2018 undergrads,

what course are you taking? and, are you planning to move elsewhere (university) ? Curious.
Reply 15
Original post by AKingsScholar
Yes if you’re in a RG elsewhere, stay put!

Not an RG, Loughborough uni
I don't buy it. I did get an offer from KCL coincidentally, and coincidentally I won't be going there (need to know that there's more to life than Thornton fvcking Heath) but two of my siblings went and I've barely heard a bad word about it said.
Original post by Zaspo

He/she said to be undergoing anxiety (mental illness)...

This kinda guys should see a psychiatric instead of blame others (in this case King's) for things that may happen just in their mind!
@Volibear

If your grades are good, then seek a transfer. Look ar unis outside London as well. You can even take a gap to make sure you get it right .
This is why you shouldn't go to a uni just because it's high up on a list..

You should always investigate how the courses are taught/structured to best suit you. And also judge the people attending of you'd get on with them or not.

From what you've said the course best suits mostly independent learners. I would like more of an even balance personally. Which is what I get but I am at a lower uni.

Quick Reply