The Student Room Group

A-level choices

Hi, I am very confused about what a-levels i should take and would love some help. I have chosen maths, physics, biology and politics and plan to drop politics after a year but i have no idea what i want to do for a degree and want to keep my options open as much as possible. If i dont take any essay based subjects for a level does that rule out any possibility for me to do law at uni? and if i want to computer science and thn bio medicine, is that possible for me?

I know i need to take chemistry for medicine but i feel like that would be too much of a work load to take 3 sciences, so i would choose between bio and chem but im not as good at chemistry

Any help or advice would be much appreciated as i have no clue what to do x
Original post by plsneedhelpasap
Hi, I am very confused about what a-levels i should take and would love some help. I have chosen maths, physics, biology and politics and plan to drop politics after a year but i have no idea what i want to do for a degree and want to keep my options open as much as possible. If i dont take any essay based subjects for a level does that rule out any possibility for me to do law at uni? and if i want to computer science and thn bio medicine, is that possible for me?

I know i need to take chemistry for medicine but i feel like that would be too much of a work load to take 3 sciences, so i would choose between bio and chem but im not as good at chemistry

Any help or advice would be much appreciated as i have no clue what to do x

Chemistry and Biology are they key ones for medicine.
There are a few courses which dont require Chemistry, but you will be narrowing your choice of places you can apply straight away.

You can do Law with any combination of A levels.
Computer science soemtimes requires maths, but some courses dont have any requirement.

Not really seeing the point of Politics unless you need it as a full fallback A level.
Good that you are looking at this before choosing A level subjects. Part of my job is attending school and uni carers fairs, and often talk to people who have chosen too narrow a range or the wrong subjects for specific careers that have set their heart on, as well as others who don't realise that for a lot of courses or careers you can be pretty flexible about subject choice.
I suggest you look at the course requirements at a number of universities for each of the subjects you have mentioned, plus a couple more general courses such as engineering or business. A couple of hours online research will give you a good indication of the essential and desirable subjects, especially if you choose a broad range of unis.
A quick way of doing thus is to look at the Which University website. As well as offering general advice (including A levels choices), it also has info on all the universities that currently offer specific degrees. Search for a degree subject then pick 4 or 5 unis that you have heard of and look at the course information. The required subjects and grades (and possible careers) will be at the top of the page, and the most popular actual subjects, achieved grades and initial job destinations will be at the bottom. Not as definitive as the uni websites themselves but great for early way to see what A level subjects would give you the most choice.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by calon-lan
Good that you are looking at this before choosing A level subjects. Part of my job is attending school and uni carers fairs, and often talk to people who have chosen too narrow a range or the wrong subjects for specific careers that have set their heart on, as well as others who don't realise that for a lot of courses or careers you can be pretty flexible about subject choice.
I suggest you look at the course requirements at a number of universities for each of the subjects you have mentioned, plus a couple more general courses such as engineering or business. A couple of hours online research will give you a good indication of the essential and desirable subjects, especially if you choose a broad range of unis.
A quick way of doing thus is to look at the Which University website. As well as offering general advice (including A levels choices), it also has info on all the universities that currently offer specific degrees. Search for a degree subject then pick 4 or 5 unis that you have heard of and look at the course information. The required subjects and grades (and possible careers) will be at the top of the page, and the most popular actual subjects, achieved grades and initial job destinations will be at the bottom. Not as definitive as the uni websites themselves but great for early way to see what A level subjects would give you the most choice.

Thanks so much this is great advice thanks for the help

Quick Reply

Latest