Where have individual rights gone in Europe?

Watch this thread
whooshyboi
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
In terms of European politics, the consensus is that the Nazi party was a far-right political party due to them being anti-communist. Despite this, American politics considers the Nazis as left-wing due to them being a big government party in which they want the government controlling all aspects of life.

This brings up the question: Where have individual rights gone in Europe? As the civilisation born of Judeo-Christian values and the discovery of the enlightenment, how have we gotten to a point in which there are no countries that support individual rights and liberties like the United States?

I suspect multi-culturalism but I am curious to see public input.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
WW1 + WW2 - in short.

Pre-WW1 the Uk was a very different place. The government was tiny, and if you paid your taxes, and didn't break the law (there were much fewer laws) then they largely left you a lone to get on with how you wanted to live. People could own guns, and live in any manner that they saw fit. The key authority within communities then was the church, rather then the state. When people were in need they turned to churches for support and guidance, and they relied on their family. An elderly family member was not given to the government to be taken care of, it was the responsibility of the family. The vast vast majority of your life was controlled by yourself, and guided by the church/God.

What happened was WW1 came about and shook europe to its foundations.

Specifically in the UK - it destroyed the church. Wars had come and gone before, but this one was different. Churches took part, they actively encouraged their congregations to go and fight - they sent their young men off to die.. and most of them did die. The ones that returned never, morally, forgave the church. That was the turning point - the church lost its moral authority.. and the decline started. It took a while for people to notice, because after the war routine kicked in, and people kept going to church, but it never recovered. You can see this if you visit the UK. Go in any church and look for the list of names - almost every church has a wooden board listing all the men that did from that churches congregation. Some of the boards are huge.

So after the war, what happened? The authority was drained from the church.. but society needs authority, so it had to go somewhere? As you can imagine, it went to the goverment. Not in any power-hungry scheme, just in a natural shift.. people craed authority, and they no longer recieved it from god, so they instead supported goverment action that made the goverment the new god.

The problem though is that god is individual in nature - your relationship with him, is personal and the way that forms societies is different from how societies form under the authority of a goverment:

Church led societies force individual responsibility, because the church is only a moral leader, not a financial, or interventionist leader, they guide you on how to live, but they cannot and do not help you live. You must do that yourself

Goverment led societies like we have now, are both a moral leader and a practical/interventionist leader.. they gain more power, the more influence they have over your life, and they have the means to both guide you on how to live, but also to solve your problems for you.

Don't get me wrong, there are huge problems with Church lead societies, and state lead societies, but personally I think that the most successful model for running a country, its one that contains both. Europes most succesfull period was before the decline of the church, and so was Americas.

These days I get annoyed at the lack of individual responsibility that people take, and how they look to the goverment to be their church, and they treat their leaders/the economy as their god. Elderly family? let the goverment take care of them... poor people in your comunity? goverments job... maintaining your town? goverment. protecting yourself and your family? goverment. Don't have a job? goverment. Don't earn enough? goverment. etc.

The church has died in the UK, and Europe, and its taking with it the family, individual responsibility, community and a sense of purpose from our lives..

Instead we will sit and wonder why we live in towns where no one talks to each other? why we have more and more mental health problems? why our lives feel empty? why our goverments control more and more of our lives? why families are no longer staying together, and the majority of kids live without a mum and a dad? why our grandma will die alone in a hospital wing? why are people having less babies? Why are older generations not helping younger generations? why why why
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I ****ed them up the wall.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (40)
28.99%
Take a gap year (22)
15.94%
Resit my exams (37)
26.81%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (18)
13.04%
I don't know yet (15)
10.87%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
4.35%

Watched Threads