The Student Room Group

UNI STUFF for a wanna be banker/consultant

Hi everybuddy
I will be going to UCL for mathematics, and I want to be a banker / consultant/ any job in the high finance. I heard that LSE is strongly repped for finance. Hence I am tempted to apply to LSE maths with econ during 1st year(probably redo 1 st yr at LSE if I get in.)
Question is: Is LSE that much better than UCL when it comes to high finance?
Thanks
Original post by Lordtangent
Hi everybuddy
I will be going to UCL for mathematics, and I want to be a banker / consultant/ any job in the high finance. I heard that LSE is strongly repped for finance. Hence I am tempted to apply to LSE maths with econ during 1st year(probably redo 1 st yr at LSE if I get in.)
Thanks

You don't need a specific degree. If the uni is targeted by recruiters for the field you will be fine. You just need a good grade.
Original post by alleycat393
You don't need a specific degree. If the uni is targeted by recruiters for the field you will be fine. You just need a good grade.

Sorry pal you didn't answer my question, which is :"Is LSE that much better than UCL when it comes to high finance?"
Sorry pal you didn't answer my question, which is :"Is LSE that much better than UCL when it comes to high finance?"

Sorry pal but maybe actually read and understand the response? If it doesn't matter then better = what?
Sorry pal but maybe actually read and understand the response? If it doesn't matter then better = what?

Ah so you mean they are both targets of the same level ?
Ah so you mean they are both targets of the same level ?

If a place is targeted = recruiters go there to recruit. You could quantify how many times they visit or how many students they recruit but that is influenced by so much more than the uni for example how many students apply, what the competition is like, how many dates they get to do events etc. Like I said at this point I'd worry more about getting a good grade and some experience.
ah thanks for the clarification
If a place is targeted = recruiters go there to recruit. You could quantify how many times they visit or how many students they recruit but that is influenced by so much more than the uni for example how many students apply, what the competition is like, how many dates they get to do events etc. Like I said at this point I'd worry more about getting a good grade and some experience.
Hi everybuddy
Thanks

literally the most redundant question I've ever seen. why would there be any difference between two of the best universities in the UK?

your subject means absolutely nothing.. it's all about what's on your CV (leadership exp, work exp, volunteering etc generally keeping busy and not being just an academic robot), passing some trivial online tests, knowing how to interview well and carrying yourself in a professional manner.

these jobs aren't for mystical unicorns, the employers just want a smart, polished kid they can groom up in the business world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
just curious if the econ element in the course will give an advantage over pure maths because of the writing involved.
Also which one is higher repped outside the uk tho? Especially in North America.
Original post by Princepieman
literally the most redundant question I've ever seen. why would there be any difference between two of the best universities in the UK?

your subject means absolutely nothing.. it's all about what's on your CV (leadership exp, work exp, volunteering etc generally keeping busy and not being just an academic robot), passing some trivial online tests, knowing how to interview well and carrying yourself in a professional manner.

these jobs aren't for mystical unicorns, the employers just want a smart, polished kid they can groom up in the business world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
just curious if the econ element in the course will give an advantage over pure maths because of the writing involved.
Also which one is higher repped outside the uk tho? Especially in North America.

No.

You'll be starting in the UK so that's pretty irrelevant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest