Should people be punished for unspoken bias? Watch

Luke7456
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Recently there has been debate about free speech. Some people believe we should have freedom of speech to say whatever we like. Most young people believe such individuals to be Neo Nazis.

There is pretty much consensus among the young that people who say things that offend should be punished.

So instead I think another area of debate is what about unspoken bias?
The thing is we might be silencing opinions and jokes that we do not like but people can still think those things and those thoughts can affect actions and I think most Young people would agree this is unacceptable.

Prejudice or misogynistic people wont always be so obvious to say it but what about their micro aggression actions? eg if someone speaks to more white people then black people or is more friendly to a white person then to a black person they could secretly have racist ideas against black people. Eye contact is it the same or favourable to particular groups?

and what if a male happens to look in the general direction of a female, he might claim he was focused on something else or somebody else but anyone can claim that. what if this guy is having sexual hopes/fantasies about the girl if the feelings are not reciprocated that is pretty much sexual assault right?

So asking the young do you think it is time we start punishing people for micro aggression or thinking the wrong things?
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Were you dropped on the head?
PRSOM

So, is someone going to follow me around to see how much black people I talk to and how much white people I talk to?
username3748656
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah, I think this is a good idea.

Hey, why are you on the internet? You know there are people in poor third world countries that don't even have access to such devices? RACIST!

Why are you breathing? You know people in China can't breath because of the pollution there? DISGUSTING! HOLD YOUR BREATH!

Why did you name your profile "Luke7456"? Luke is a male name, oh great so you're also a SEXIST!

Why did you write in English? Isn't that a sign that you support the British colonisation that had brought their language to various parts to the world at the expense of other languages being minimised?

*tsk tsk tsk* And there's more, bro forget jail, at this rate you're going to Guantanamo Bay.
Anonymousmouse1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Axiomasher
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Name:  troll bad one.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  29.1 KB
Luke7456
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sufyaan65)
Yeah, I think this is a good idea.

Hey, why are you on the internet? You know there are people in poor third world countries that don't even have access to such devices? RACIST!

Why are you breathing? You know people in China can't breath because of the pollution there? DISGUSTING! HOLD YOUR BREATH!

Why did you name your profile "Luke7456"? Luke is a male name, oh great so you're also a SEXIST!

Why did you write in English? Isn't that a sign that you support the British colonisation that had brought their language to various parts to the world at the expense of other languages being minimised?

*tsk tsk tsk* And there's more, bro forget jail, at this rate you're going to Guantanamo Bay.
so long as they shoot me quickly that sounds good. To be honest I would rather people just had the balls to follow through on their genetic programming rather then this nonsense but instead they will drag me through a life of depression where i die at 59 rather then just ending the suffering now.

anyway I have had the looking in the general direction on the bus incident.

I think this is the thing though its different rules for different people because its an easier way then saying what your programmed to say.
slurredsquash
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nah.

Just don't be a racist/sexist/homophobic/aggressive moron.

Not hard.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
PRSOM

So, is someone going to follow me around to see how much black people I talk to and how much white people I talk to?
Haha. I would expect you to speak to more white people, given that there are vastly more white poeple in the country than black People.
username3748656
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Luke7456)
so long as they shoot me quickly that sounds good. To be honest I would rather people just had the balls to follow through on their genetic programming rather then this nonsense but instead they will drag me through a life of depression where i die at 59 rather then just ending the suffering now.

anyway I have had the looking in the general direction on the bus incident.

I think this is the thing though its different rules for different people because its an easier way then saying what your programmed to say.
Bro stfu who you think you are? Do you think you're some Guru or the next Stephen Hawking? Nah, stop being an idiot, we're laughing AT you. 'Genetic programming' fool get out of here, you're probably those moist people who think we're computers or something.
Luke7456
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sufyaan65)
Bro stfu who you think you are? Do you think you're some Guru or the next Stephen Hawking? Nah, stop being an idiot, we're laughing AT you. 'Genetic programming' fool get out of here, you're probably those moist people who think we're computers or something.
what are you on about guru Stephan Hawking? not really never really thought about that.

and we are influenced by our genes and it is in an abstract sense programming. now in regard to thinking we are computers, this that would be a wasted discussion. really that would be debating semantics I believe we are the product of evolution and our brains and instincts make us behave a certain way with certain prejudices.
I think calling us a biological computer would be a nice analogy but in truth it is pure semantics and semantic debates are just a waste of time and energy because in effect it comes down to what we do or do not decide to label something.
Amanzhol
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Christ alive... I'm genuinely so disappointed in the sheer idiocy of modern society.

I'm not sure if what you're suggesting would make Orwell turn in his grave or make him laugh that his SCIENCE FICTION ideas of the future ended up true. Either way it's ******* dreadful and you and anyone else who thinks it's perfectly fine should be ashamed.
username3748656
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
what are you on about guru Stephan Hawking? not really never really thought about that.

and we are influenced by our genes and it is in an abstract sense programming. now in regard to thinking we are computers, this that would be a wasted discussion. really that would be debating semantics I believe we are the product of evolution and our brains and instincts make us behave a certain way with certain prejudices.
I think calling us a biological computer would be a nice analogy but in truth it is pure semantics and semantic debates are just a waste of time and energy because in effect it comes down to what we do or do not decide to label something.
Shut up and stop replying to me.
Jack22031994
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You dont have a right not to be offended and no - next???
Jebedee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If that's what young people believe then great. I wax taught that children should be seen and not heard, and I stand by that but seems it needs to be extended to "young people" if what you're saying is true.

Except it isn't.
Joleee
Report 1 year ago
yass!! like Minority Report i love that movie!
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Orwellian thought crime.
The Inquisition, Henry VIII, Stalin and Pol Pot would all have relished the idea.

Recently there has been debate about free speech. Some people believe we should have freedom of speech to say whatever we like. Most young people believe such individuals to be Neo Nazis.

There is pretty much consensus among the young that people who say things that offend should be punished.

So instead I think another area of debate is what about unspoken bias?
The thing is we might be silencing opinions and jokes that we do not like but people can still think those things and those thoughts can affect actions and I think most Young people would agree this is unacceptable.

Prejudice or misogynistic people wont always be so obvious to say it but what about their micro aggression actions? eg if someone speaks to more white people then black people or is more friendly to a white person then to a black person they could secretly have racist ideas against black people. Eye contact is it the same or favourable to particular groups?

and what if a male happens to look in the general direction of a female, he might claim he was focused on something else or somebody else but anyone can claim that. what if this guy is having sexual hopes/fantasies about the girl if the feelings are not reciprocated that is pretty much sexual assault right?

So asking the young do you think it is time we start punishing people for micro aggression or thinking the wrong things?
Greg1d
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
To punish someone for anything unspoken is impossible. How could you do that? Punish someone's thoughts? It's thought crime comparable to that of a tyranny. If you have a thought that is discriminatory its not an offence, if you act on it, it is. Action is the only thing that can be reasonably punishable. To persecute someone for what's in their head is mind control.

"if someone speaks to more white people then black people or is more friendly to a white person then to a black person they could secretly have racist ideas against black people."
And also, with direct reference to the "offences" you cited at the beginning- none of those are illegal or punishable. They're wrong but how would this look as a court case: "you have 20 friends and only 4 of them are black- go find some more black people to even the numbers". If anything - your suggestion about how if you don't talk to minorities or whoever is racist as instead of just calling a person a friend, their a "black friend" or an "asian friend". I've never thought what percentage of my friends are minorities in fear of being racist.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
PRSOM

lol.

Well...maybe an annual psychology test sent thru the post from the government. If you fail it (show signs of hatred lol) then you get a fine or court hearing or something. Only realistic way to do it. Like a census, but for the brain.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by username3748656)
Shut up and stop replying to me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.43%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.9%

Watched Threads