Turn on thread page Beta

Need weird film recommendations watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!

I’m after some good film recommendations but the weirder the better. I love unique, weird or arty movies. I need some films that may not have the highest budget, but still leave you thinking.

Some examples of weird films I love are:
    Shape of water
    The Lobster
    3096 days
    Tale of Tales

I don’t mind the genre! Please share the weirdest movies you’ve seen and a short (no spoilers) summary for each one
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Erinzozo)
    What we do in the shadows
    Cloud Atlas
    Room (2015 with Brie Larson)
    Secret Life of Walter Mitty
    Hunt for the Wilderpeople
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Lost Highway
    Mulholland Drive
    Blue Velvet

ReputationRep:
    The Science of Sleep.

ReputationRep:
    The Man From Earth
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    blades of glory

ReputationRep:
    Another Apocalypse Now advert. Better be ready for the most epic film in history.

ReputationRep:
    Southland Tales

Never has The Rock done such a bizarre film.

ReputationRep:
    Stanford prison experiment
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rylee98)
    Stanford prison experiment
    Just watched that a few days a go, it was pretty good

ReputationRep:
    Dogtooth....

weird af

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!

I’m after some good film recommendations but the weirder the better. I love unique, weird or arty movies. I need some films that may not have the highest budget, but still leave you thinking.

Some examples of weird films I love are:
    Shape of water
    The Lobster
    3096 days
    Tale of Tales

I don’t mind the genre! Please share the weirdest movies you’ve seen and a short (no spoilers) summary for each one
    Shutter Island is a weird film, interesting but weird

A detective is shipped to a mysterious island with a partner to investigate a missing patient and strange stuff going on at the island, the conclussion is suprising to all, as another mystery is uncovered as the film goes on

Cult of Chucky (2017) is a weird film, but again interesting and humorous, if you enjoy dark humor

In a mental hospital, a woman who thinks Chucky existed is being treated, the film is very interesting in a dark way, also strange

Stonehearst Asylum, and the Raven

If you know of Poe, you'll know these are wild, weird movies

Hannibal Rising (2007)

The growing up of Hannibal Lecter and his life
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Man Bites Dog

Documentary filmmakers André and Rémy have found an ideal subject in Ben. He is witty, sophisticated, intelligent, well liked—and a serial killer. As André and Rémy document Ben’s routines, they become increasingly entwined in his vicious program, sacrificing their objectivity and their morality. Controversial winner of the International Critics’ Prize at the 1992 Cannes Film Festival, Man Bites Dog stunned audiences worldwide with its unflinching imagery and biting satire of media violence.

ReputationRep:
    stalker is great, pretty much all Andrei tarkovsky films are

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as you like the Shape of Water, I suggest you watch a film called Pan's Labyrinth. It's by the same director, Guillermo del Toro. You've probably heard of it. You might also like the cheesy 80s Labyrinth with Jennifer Connelly and David Bowie

I suggest you watch some of Nicholas Winding Refn's films if you like artsy, weird films:

Drive - A-list cast featuring Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Oscar Isaac and others. It's basically a neo-noir, 80s throwback crime thriller set in Los Angeles about a man who falls in love with some girl but gets caught up in some shady mob business, putting her and her child in danger

Neon Demon - starring Elle Fanning and Jenna Malone with a cameo appearance ffrom Keanu Reeves. An innocent girl enters the LA fashion/modelling business. Everyone thinks she's the best thing since sliced bread, attracting the ire and jealousy of her fellow models. The job slowly corrupts her and some seriously trippy, messed up stuff happens. This one is extremely weird.

If you like dark comedy, satire, social commentary and surrealist post-modernism, take a look at American Psycho. It's about a wallstreet yuppie in the 80s (played by Christian Bale) who is actually a bloodthirsy psychopath but nobody in his social circle notices as they are too materialistic and selfish. Some strange stuff happens, creating doubt as to how much of the depicted events are real.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    The Dressmaker

Baby Driver

ReputationRep:
    The cube
    Men in black

ReputationRep:
    I’m after some good film recommendations but the weirder the better.
    Le Fantôme de la liberté: Famous French surreal film including scene where people sit around on toilets chatting and then excuse themselves to go and eat in private.

I see a Dark Stranger: Rom-com about an IRA woman who becomes a Nazi spy. Released 1946

The Trap Canadian rom-com about orphan being sold into sexual slavery. Famous musical score.

ReputationRep:
    After Hours (1985)
    Aguirre: The Wrath of God (1972)
    Being John Malkovich (1999)
    Brazil (1985)
    Cinema Paradiso (1988)
    Clue (1985)
    Delicatessen (1991)
    Fargo (1996)
    The Fifth Element (1997)
    Fitzcarraldo (1982)
    Holy Motors (2012)
    In Bruges (2008)
    Manhattan (1979)
    Monsieur Verdoux (1947)
    Only Lovers Left Alive (2013)
    Orlando (1992)
    The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985)
    Russian Ark (2002)
    A Serious Man (2009)
    Stranger Than Fiction (2006)
    Three Colours: Red (1994)
    Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966)
    Werckmeister Harmonies (2000)
    Withnail & I (1987)

I'd be no good at describing them - far better to see trailers.

ReputationRep:
    Stalked by my doctor

"A teenage girl named Sophie is rushed to the hospital after a terrible car accident. Lucky for Sophie, heart surgeon Dr. Albert Beck is at the hospital to save her life. While Sophie recovers nicely in the hospital, Dr. Beck tends to her, more than Sophie's mother would like. A mother's instinct is never wrong."

its so weird but its so addictive to watch lmao

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.