below 71 (36)
29.51%
have
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Year10Studentt)
that's what I thought but I just thought I'd get into the class and people would start picking up concepts faster than me, which I'd be nervous about falling behind
There's always gonna be someone who picks up the content faster than you, but the key thing at A Level is to start going over the stuff you learn on the day you learn it to make sure you properly understand it. That way when it comes exam time, you don't have to do massive amounts of revision, because everythings in your long term-memory. This is with any science/maths subject btw.
If you're good at maths, and understand all the content, you can get an A*
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
chieula2301
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
it really scares me about grade boundaries are not gonna be as low as 80 because so many of you guys are so so smart here 😭😭😭

I desperately need A* and managed to do around 85 for both papers pure 1 and 2. What are my chances of achieving it?
RedGiant
  • Study Forum Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by chieula2301)
it really scares me about grade boundaries are not gonna be as low as 80 because so many of you guys are so so smart here 😭😭😭

I desperately need A* and managed to do around 85 for both papers pure 1 and 2. What are my chances of achieving it?
If you haven't already vote here https://www.strawpoll.me/15889159/r
You can see what others suspect the grade boundary will be.
have
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by chieula2301)

As with any exam thread, usual disclaimer applies: TSR is not representative of any cohort, even a FM cohort.

imo, 85% is very likely to be an A*
Year10Studentt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by have)
There's always gonna be someone who picks up the content faster than you, but the key thing at A Level is to start going over the stuff you learn on the day you learn it to make sure you properly understand it. That way when it comes exam time, you don't have to do massive amounts of revision, because everythings in your long term-memory. This is with any science/maths subject btw.
If you're good at maths, and understand all the content, you can get an A*
Thank you!
thekidwhogames
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by have)
Yeah there were some nice questions. I think it was harder than paper 1, but I think I did good. 95+ is a good estimate, I don't think I really slipped up anywhere.

It's confusing because there were 2 tan questions. For one of the tan questions, yeah there were three solutions (the one that asks for solns between 7pi and 10pi)
There was a another tan question where you had to turn sec^2 into 1+tan^2, and then you get a 3TQ in terms of tan. It's coming back to me as I'm writing.
I remember it factorising into (tan theta + 1)(tan theta -4) = 0
And it asked for solns for theta between -pi/2 and pi/2.
It's -pi/4 and 1.326,
2 solutions.
Unless I'm misremembering / misread the question
Yeah for that I got 3 solutions
For the longer trig equation, I did that but got sin(2x)tan(2x)(tanx+1)(tanx-4) or something and got 0, 1.326, -pi/4?
Though I wasn't bothered to check my answer I think this is where I lost marks - do you remmeber the q?
DefiniteIntegral
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by thekidwhogames)
For the longer trig equation, I did that but got sin(2x)tan(2x)(tanx+1)(tanx-4) or something and got 0, 1.326, -pi/4?
Though I wasn't bothered to check my answer I think this is where I lost marks - do you remmeber the q?
I got those I think yeah
have
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
That sounds right. I did it using the identity from the previous part. For some reason my brain thought to discard the x = 0 solution, I don't know why. Did I think sec was undefined for x =0. I think I wrote it down and then wrote Discard this solution with an explanation.

That's probably 1 mark lost then, or maybe I'll get lucky and the exaiminer will ISW it, or just be lazy and see it and give me the mark.
thekidwhogames
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by have)
That sounds right. I did it using the identity from the previous part. For some reason my brain thought to discard the x = 0 solution, I don't know why. Did I think sec was undefined for x =0. I think I wrote it down and then wrote Discard this solution with an explanation.

That's probably 1 mark lost then, or maybe I'll get lucky and the exaiminer will ISW it, or just be lazy and see it and give me the mark.
You still did pretty food but I can't exactly remmeber if j got 0 or not but I think?
number0
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
yeh pretty sure i got those exactly
thekidwhogames
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by number0)
yeh pretty sure i got those exactly
What do you think you got in both papers so far?
bingoringo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
that went really really really bad

I wish you could use more expletives on the student room because my english ability is not good enough to express how horrible I did. I'm such an idiot, I honestly have no motivation to continue now. I don't even know why I chose maths honestly, I'm just not cut out for it as I'm going to get kicked out anyway. I don't know how I keep one-upping myself in how godawful I do in these exams.
RedGiant
  • Study Forum Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by bingoringo)
that went really really really bad

I wish you could use more expletives on the student room because my english ability is not good enough to express how horrible I did. I'm such an idiot, I honestly have no motivation to continue now. I don't even know why I chose maths honestly, I'm just not cut out for it as I'm going to get kicked out anyway. I don't know how I keep one-upping myself in how godawful I do in these exams.
Lol, don't say that, I'm sure you did better than you think. Remember that the people on TSR are definitely not the typical candidates. Most of my class found it tough.
bingoringo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by RedGiant)
Lol, don't say that, I'm sure you did better than you think. Remember that the people on TSR are definitely not the typical candidates. Most of my class found it tough.
yeah that's true. I'm just upset because I spent so much time doing paper after paper when I was probably just wasting my time, because I blanked on many of those things I practiced so much.
thekidwhogames
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Guys the iteration rearranging? Did you have to do it using Newton raphson? I think I didn't read it and went straight to the algebra (write 2x3 = 6x3 - 4x3 then rearranged etc)
number0
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
What do you think you got in both papers so far?
Umm think ive done alright like hoping I havent dropped more than like 15 marks, but I could have made some serious blunders so dont want to get my hopes up
thekidwhogames
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by number0)
Umm think ive done alright like hoping I havent dropped more than like 15 marks, but I could have made some serious blunders so dont want to get my hopes up
Either way I think you'll he pleasantly surprised with an A*. For the iteration how did you show it?
sivthasan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Either way I think you'll he pleasantly surprised with an A*. For the iteration how did you show it?
You just use the newton raphson formula - xn - f(xn)/f'(xn)
Substitute in the equations for f(x) and f'(x), simplify and replace x with xn
thekidwhogames
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by sivthasan)
You just use the newton raphson formula - xn - f(xn)/f'(xn)
Substitute in the equations for f(x) and f'(x), simplify and replace x with xn
Damn I didn't read that part..
I just rearranged it and got the result? Do i lose marks? Also what was f(x) and f'(x)? 2x^3 something?
sivthasan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Damn I didn't read that part..
I just rearranged it and got the result? Do i lose marks? Also what was f(x) and f'(x)? 2x^3 something?
What did you rearrange to get the result?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (353)
30.7%
The paper was reasonable (460)
40%
Not feeling great about that exam... (198)
17.22%
It was TERRIBLE (139)
12.09%

Watched Threads