Turn on thread page Beta
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    You use the media every day, from Snapchatting your friends to getting push notifications of the latest news. But you might hear some of your teachers or relatives being snarky about the idea of actually studying media, journalism or film at uni.

So are they right?

Richard Jones is senior lecturer in Journalism at the University of Huddersfield. Before that he worked as a journalist in TV and radio for companies including Sky News. He also established the award-winning Saddleworth News hyperlocal news website.

He is on TSR to get involved in the debate.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    I find the term isn't really used as it actually means - a 'Mickey Mouse' degree is defined as one that is worthless and irrelevant. But people tend to apply it to Arts and Media courses as default, rather than actually considering if that's an accurate term.

So in this case, for example, it could be a mickey mouse degree if you then do nothing with it. But if you need it to take the next step into a Film/TV career, say, then I fail to see how it could be considered one.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Well what I do wonder is how the industry itself uses these kind of degrees. The film, TV and media industries are all very much older than these kind of degrees, so assuming other courses (or none at all) are still viable options to make your way into journalism (for instance), how much of the people in industry actually have these very relevant degrees?

ReputationRep:
    Where the jobs for it? Why do they need a degree? Why don't they just get trained while learning as it is not economically benefitcal for the UK economy to get " degrees " in Media.

95% of gay people do arts (I'm gay and witness around this level of meeting) and they are illogical and hope for a insecure job after as self-employed at £9,000 a year... it does no one a favour.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is. It isn't as intellectually demanding as other subjects (STEM etc) and also, from my perspective, something that doesn't require a university education to do the follow-up jobs. For example, you need to study Physics/Chem/Biol to become a researcher in this field or medicine to be a doctor etc however do you really need a degree to do the jobs for media?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ckfeister)
    95% of gay people do arts (I'm gay and witness around this level of meeting) and they are illogical and hope for a insecure job after as self-employed at £9,000 a year... it does no one a favour.
    Whilst I'm sure this is primarily an exaggeration, I'd like to point out that it's also factually incorrect

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Whilst I'm sure this is primarily an exaggeration, I'd like to point out that it's also factually incorrect

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wish I was...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlwjones)
    You use the media every day, from Snapchatting your friends to getting push notifications of the latest news. But you might hear some of your teachers or relatives being snarky about the idea of actually studying media, journalism or film at uni.

So are they right?

Richard Jones is senior lecturer in Journalism at the University of Huddersfield. Before that he worked as a journalist in TV and radio for companies including Sky News. He also established the award-winning Saddleworth News hyperlocal news website.

He will be here on TSR tomorrow getting involved in the debate
    This is going to end in tears when the STEM brigade shows up

Edit: I called it
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Acetyl)
    I think it is. It isn't as intellectually demanding as other subjects (STEM etc) and also, from my perspective, something that doesn't require a university education to do the follow-up jobs. For example, you need to study Physics/Chem/Biol to become a researcher in this field or medicine to be a doctor etc however do you really need a degree to do the jobs for media?
    Have you ever made a film?
    Written a newspaper article?
    Designed and built a set?
    Storyboarded a script?

Claiming that media jobs (and the degrees that train people for those jobs) are not intellectually demanding is demonstrating how little you understand about the creative industries.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by rlwjones)

So are they right?

He will be here on TSR tomorrow getting involved in the debate
    I know someone who did a joint language degree at 2:1 and they are currently working and even presented / anchored some stuff on a a state-owned media company in the UK

whereas I have a degree in a healthcare subject and cant get regular paid work (mainly because I am crap at interviews).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Have you ever made a film?
    Written a newspaper article?
    Designed and built a set?
    Storyboarded a script?

Claiming that media jobs (and the degrees that train people for those jobs) are not intellectually demanding is demonstrating how little you understand about the creative industries.
    Do I need a degree to write a newspaper article?
    Do I need a degree to create a storyboard?
    Do I really need a degree to set up a set?
    Do I actually need a degree to make a film?

Could I carry out scientific primary research into the causes and treatment of disease without a degree?
    Could I properly and safely perform surgery without a degree?
    Could an engineer all of the technology required for the creative industry without a degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acetyl)
    Do I need a degree to write a
    before an editor will print my newspaper article?
    Do I need a degree before anyone will hire me to create a storyboard?
    Do I really need a degree before anyone will hire me to set up a set?
    Do I actually need a degree before a producer will fund me to make a film?
    Corrected

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't say mickey mouse because in order to get a good grade you have to be knowledgeable and have talent in the subject

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

Good luck getting a media job without connections. A media degree from an ex-poly won't help.

Might aswell spend your 9,000/year on a field like nursing or engineering which you are much more likely to find graduate-level employment at the end.

ReputationRep:
    My mate who failed 9 of 12 first year modules in managment,

Is transferring to media, to start year one again.

Definitely not the most academic of degrees and very little real world application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Realitysreflexx)
    My mate who failed 9 of 12 first year modules in managment,

Is transferring to media, to start year one again.

Definitely not the most academic of degrees and very little real world application.
    Haha, 2 people who dropped out of law from my first-year seminars switched to business. All a matter of perspective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyber Ninja)
    This is going to end in tears when the STEM brigade shows up
    "The STEM brigade" this made me chuckle.

But I feel like the brigade is composed mainly of narcissistic physicists and biologists. All other branches of "STEM" are too busy minding their own business.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I don't know much about it at degree level. I did it at A Level and it was ****ing dire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    Haha, 2 people who dropped out of law from my first-year seminars switched to business. All a matter of perspective.
    Sort of lol, but can you blame them? Most people dont realize what becoming a lawyer is actually like, a ton of hard fing work. You can just work even with a business undergrad, actually you may have more paths then with an undergrad law, the same can't be said for media lol.

ReputationRep:
    people working in media or broadcasting or videography dont have degrees in media lmao

that is like saying doing a degree in football management will make you david beckham.

Doing a degree in media studies is a waste of time but I guess thanks to theresa may's weird graduate tax its essentially free money and only people who do proper degrees actually pay the loan back

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 17, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.