Wisdom teeth/Pericoronitis Watch

Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Gum felt a bit funny this morning thought nothing of it, now its progressively gotten worse and swollen pretty bad.
After a bit of internet self-diagnosis, im 99% sure its Pericoronitis.
Now the problem i have is that, I havent been to my dentist in years.. so im basically not signed up anywhere, but i do need the anti-biotics to get this inflammation down!!
Just wondering about other peoples' experiences with this and wanting to know if i can nip into the doctors and get the anti-biotics from there?

(I will def be signing up to a dentist ASAP, and i know im stupid for not going regularly im just a tad afraid of them :p:)
carrot
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well, you don't know if you need antibiotics, because you've self diagnosed. Why don't you register with a dentist asap? They might even get you in to assess you when they register you. And don't be afraid to tell the dentist you're a bit frightened - they can be very sympathetic to phobias and work with you to help you get over it.

I *think* a GP can help you out, but it'll be a bit of a waste if he just says "Go to see the dentist".
pixiepeep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm terrified of dentists, but because my wisdom tooth is killing me I found myself a local surgery and got myself registers. Admitedly I did take my dad with me, lol, but I made a big thing on all my notes to say I was anxious and they treated me dead nice

Also, wisdom teeth do cause the gum to swell occasionally just because of irritation. Take some ibuprofen to get rid of the inflammation, and if it still hurts, have some paracetamol.

I doubt the infection would have come on that fast - mine's been hurting for months and no infection - just swelling and soreness - and my tooth is all black inside, and pretty gross!
Zerforax
Rep:
?
Well it had been hurting the 2 days before that, just sore and not swollen, now its pretty swollen! (like the size of a tooth)
Its alright, not too painful now (last night was kinda bad) but yea, got a Dentist appointment at 3... which should be fun :p:
Its not that im scared of dentists, its more than i dont like things in my mouth and i have more of a fear of gagging
Spiffy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I have all 4 wisdom teeth coming through, the other day my gum around one of them became extremely swollen for no reason and was really painful. I left it overnight, woke up the next morning and it had all gone back to normal. Its just one of those things really, wisdom teeth are a pain in the butt im afraid.
INTit
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Buy some Listerine anti bacterial mouthwash - use twice a day. Using it is rather painful but it will kill the bacteria causing the pain.
Gaylei
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Im so wize I had to have a wisdom tooth out! it was no problem to! in the dentist chair straight out! its best you get them looked at ASAP because if they need to come out the easyer it will be if they get them early.
pixiepeep
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by sarforaz)
Well it had been hurting the 2 days before that, just sore and not swollen, now its pretty swollen! (like the size of a tooth)
Its alright, not too painful now (last night was kinda bad) but yea, got a Dentist appointment at 3... which should be fun :p:
Its not that im scared of dentists, its more than i dont like things in my mouth and i have more of a fear of gagging
When I last went to the dentist with mine she did recommend trying painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs before anything else - 9 times out of 10 it wont be an infection.

Also, check the lymph glands under the side of your jaw thats hurting - if it's enlarged, or hard, then thats the main sign of infection - if it is only your gum then it's far more likely just to be irritation.

I'm still waiting on a letter from the dental hospital - I'm having all four of mine taken out and I'm being knocked out because of my nerves!
Gaylei
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by pixiepeep)
When I last went to the dentist with mine she did recommend trying painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs before anything else - 9 times out of 10 it wont be an infection.

Also, check the lymph glands under the side of your jaw thats hurting - if it's enlarged, or hard, then thats the main sign of infection - if it is only your gum then it's far more likely just to be irritation.

I'm still waiting on a letter from the dental hospital - I'm having all four of mine taken out and I'm being knocked out because of my nerves!

ouch
pixiepeep
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Gaylei)
ouch
Lol, can't wait, my bottom right one is causing me agony!!! Plus, the way the top right one came through I keep biting the inside of my cheek!

Sooner the better I say!!
Gaylei
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by pixiepeep)
Lol, can't wait, my bottom right one is causing me agony!!! Plus, the way the top right one came through I keep biting the inside of my cheek!

Sooner the better I say!!
True. My left bottom one makes me bite my cheek but not always, its up and down. I sometimes suffer from tonsilitus and I had a long hard thought over if I should get them out, apparently hainvg my tonsils out is worse then tonsilitus.... Im sticking with them! lol
qubog
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oh, I self diagnosed myself with pericoronitis over the internet once! Turns out it was just my tooth breaking through causing a massive bump and intense pain for about a week. Give it a few days and the swelling will almost certainly go down, if you're anything like me and you'll get a shiny new bit of tooth once it goes too.
lil_freak_anna
Report 11 years ago
oh my god... i feel your pain! for the last month or so, my gum on the back right side has just been ripping open/swelling/calming down in a vicous cycle! i have a bit of gum that keeps sliding over my existing molar, which makes meal times a very tearful experience! i can't wait till i can go home from uni to go to my dentist and get that little ****** of a wisdom teeth underneath removed!

sorry, don't actually really have any advice - i just empathise and felt like getting it off my chest. i feel better now : )
Zerforax
Rep:
?
Haha well my self diagnosis was correct, was an infection. So been given a course of anti biotics, told if it repeats twice more then they will remove the tooth :eek:
Had to wait like an hour and a half, took him a while minute and a half to get rid of me :rolleyes:
</gibberish>
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Gaylei)
Im so wize I had to have a wisdom tooth out! it was no problem to! in the dentist chair straight out! its best you get them looked at ASAP because if they need to come out the easyer it will be if they get them early.
There's so much wrong with that post. :rolleyes:
barbie1973
Report 11 years ago
Hi all, I am a qualifeid dental nurse with 18 years experience, hopefulluy i can help. Firstly you may be simply teething, when wisdom teeth erupt they do cause some pain which is just the tooth coming through the bone and gum tissue. If it is more than discomfort, swollen , very red in appearance then i am pretty sure you have pericoronitis. pericoronitis simply means inflammation of the gum around the crown of the tooth, sounds very technical.
You will need to see a dentist ASAP, easier said than done i know !! you could try your GP put they are an awkward breed and very often refuse to treat dental condtions, mainly i think because they know very little about teeth, my opinion only before any medics start slating me !! if you still have no luck try ringing your local primary care trust they should be able to give you a list of dentists within the area that are accepting new patiens.Failing that try your local dental hospital if you have one, most have an emergency deptartmentbut ring them first.
You will need a course of metronidazole to treat this specific infection but as others have mentioned ibuprofen will reduce inflammation and paracetamol will reduce the pain and any temperature you may have due to the infection. as for mouthwashes the only really good one is corsodyl, it tastes vile but does the trick. make sure you brush your teeth prior and post use though otherwise it will stain your teeth.you can also try good old fashioned hot water with 2 tsp of salt in and hold it in the affected area.
i wish you luck and hope that your pain is dealt with soon.
claire
Gaylei
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ChrisRH)
There's so much wrong with that post. :rolleyes:
whats wrong with it! I AM wize!
Gaylei
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by barbie1973)
Hi all, I am a qualifeid dental nurse with 18 years experience, hopefulluy i can help. Firstly you may be simply teething, when wisdom teeth erupt they do cause some pain which is just the tooth coming through the bone and gum tissue. If it is more than discomfort, swollen , very red in appearance then i am pretty sure you have pericoronitis. pericoronitis simply means inflammation of the gum around the crown of the tooth, sounds very technical.
You will need to see a dentist ASAP, easier said than done i know !! you could try your GP put they are an awkward breed and very often refuse to treat dental condtions, mainly i think because they know very little about teeth, my opinion only before any medics start slating me !! if you still have no luck try ringing your local primary care trust they should be able to give you a list of dentists within the area that are accepting new patiens.Failing that try your local dental hospital if you have one, most have an emergency deptartmentbut ring them first.
You will need a course of metronidazole to treat this specific infection but as others have mentioned ibuprofen will reduce inflammation and paracetamol will reduce the pain and any temperature you may have due to the infection. as for mouthwashes the only really good one is corsodyl, it tastes vile but does the trick. make sure you brush your teeth prior and post use though otherwise it will stain your teeth.you can also try good old fashioned hot water with 2 tsp of salt in and hold it in the affected area.
i wish you luck and hope that your pain is dealt with soon.
claire
Dont be telling people to be ringing me at the PCT! dam it! lol no really!
You need to ring PALS to get dentists/docs/everything NHS wise in your area. Or visit NHS direct online! cheers!
Tainted FMH
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yeah, I woke up this morning and overnight my gum tissue has kind of risen up or swelled at the back of my left molar. If I do nothing it’s fine but every time I close my teeth it catches it, which is insanely irritating and somewhat mildly painful . I’m feeling like I should see a dentist ASAP but I’m 19 and haven’t seen a dentist since I was 10. Not feeling great about this but needs must.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (6)
7.59%
Disagree (5)
6.33%
Neither agree or disagree (22)
27.85%
Agree (32)
40.51%
Strongly Agree (14)
17.72%

Watched Threads