The Student Room Group

After GCSEs: Sixth Form School vs Sixth Form College

Hello👋🏾

I started this thread because I really need advice as to whether I should go to school or to college. I'm in year 11 and have basically finished my GCSEs. I'm going to study A levels next year. I wanted to go to a sixth form college simply because I won't be near little kids😂 and I was looking forward to the flexibility and less rigorous structure. Unfortunately, my mum isn't a great fan of colleges. She thinks they're for "trash" people who have no futures ahead of them, or for those who aren't that great academically. Even more unfortunately, they're have been people that have proven her point. But at the end of the day, it's all down to the individual and how much effort they put in and no matter where I go, I am willing to put in effort to succeed. I would just really like some advice from anyone who has been to a sixth form school/college or anyone who is currently in one. Seriously, it will help so much. I hope this thread also helps anyone who is conflicted on where to go to study after GCSEs😊
Original post by regi.01
Hello👋🏾

I started this thread because I really need advice as to whether I should go to school or to college. I'm in year 11 and have basically finished my GCSEs. I'm going to study A levels next year. I wanted to go to a sixth form college simply because I won't be near little kids😂 and I was looking forward to the flexibility and less rigorous structure. Unfortunately, my mum isn't a great fan of colleges. She thinks they're for "trash" people who have no futures ahead of them, or for those who aren't that great academically. Even more unfortunately, they're have been people that have proven her point. But at the end of the day, it's all down to the individual and how much effort they put in and no matter where I go, I am willing to put in effort to succeed. I would just really like some advice from anyone who has been to a sixth form school/college or anyone who is currently in one. Seriously, it will help so much. I hope this thread also helps anyone who is conflicted on where to go to study after GCSEs😊

I go to a school sixth form and I have to say I'm pretty sure I made the right decision. The teachers I have now are great and the class sizes are relatively small, so I'd say school over college.

Any questions do ask :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by regi.01
Hello👋🏾

Well I go to a sixth form school and its great here so yeah I would say you go to a school.
Reply 3
Original post by hira981
Well I go to a sixth form school and its great here so yeah I would say you go to a school.

So do you feel as if teachers are really focused on the sixth form despite having to deal with the lower school, or are they pulled in a few too many directions?
Original post by regi.01
So do you feel as if the teachers really focus on the sixth form despite having to deal with the lower school, or are teachers pulled in a few too many directions?

Personally I don't think so. You have your 5/6 lessons a week (split between 2 teachers normally) and usually my teachers are never too busy if I email them for work, go to them with a question etc.
Reply 5
Original post by regi.01
Hello👋🏾

I go to a college which does a levels and i love it there, at the start i was going to a sixth form school but for me i told myself to look at the bigger picture and what i want to do after college and if i could achieve that being at my school sixth form. So my class sizes are 20 but you meet so many new people in your classes and the teachers will get to know you. One of the reasons i love college is the independence i have to get the train and tram to college which i love, and you can experience the world and new situations which if you stayed in a school environment chances are you wouldn't have to deal with them. The last thing i will say when you move somewhere else be college or a sixth form everyone is in the same boat as you, so don't feel intimidated by the awkwardness get to know new people and try out new things. Hope this has helped ive tried to summarise for you.
Original post by regi.01
So do you feel as if teachers are really focused on the sixth form despite having to deal with the lower school, or are they pulled in a few too many directions?

I feel like the teachers always prioritise their a level students over their other students, so you barely notice the lower school. especially since you usually have your own common rooms etc. but this probably depends on the institution, coz my old school doesn't have a great sixth form, hence why I left :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Chloex00
I go to a college which does a levels and i love it there, at the start i was going to a sixth form school but for me i told myself to look at the bigger picture and what i want to do after college and if i could achieve that being at my school sixth form. So my class sizes are 20 but you meet so many new people in your classes and the teachers will get to know you. One of the reasons i love college is the independence i have to get the train and tram to college which i love, and you can experience the world and new situations which if you stayed in a school environment chances are you wouldn't have to deal with them. The last thing i will say when you move somewhere else be college or a sixth form everyone is in the same boat as you, so don't feel intimidated by the awkwardness get to know new people and try out new things. Hope this has helped ive tried to summarise for you.

Do you ever feel as if class sizes are too big sometimes?
Reply 8
Original post by mathethatickles
I feel like the teachers always prioritise their a level students over their other students, so you barely notice the lower school. especially since you usually have your own common rooms etc. but this probably depends on the institution, coz my old school doesn't have a great sixth form, hence why I left :smile:

Am I right in assuming you went to another school? If so, do you like it there now?
Reply 9
Original post by regi.01
Do you ever feel as if class sizes are too big sometimes?

At the start of the year i was quite overwhelmed at the class sizes but once i settled in i like the sizes, plus everyone bounces off each other so when a teacher asks a question loads of people will give their answers in, and the teacher will still come around and give one to one help.
Original post by regi.01
Hello👋🏾

I'm a student currently doing my A levels who had this same dilemma. I was popular at school, liked by the teachers, and was prom king but I decided to go to a sixth form college, my advice? GO TO THE COLLEGE. Of course it's your own decision but I'll give you a few reasons from my own personal experience.
1. Meet new people, probably. I've met so many new people at college, or through college that are invaluable in my life. It's nice to meet new people, at different stages in life.
2. It's a better study environment. Because everyone is doing A levels (or btecs at some sixth form colleges), during exam time the mood is serious. Its seriously motivating and relaxing when there isn't loads of distractions from kids.
3. Sometimes they're just better.. your mother says it's for trash? My sixth form college is one of the top performing institutions for A levels in England, but I suppose that all depends on the quality of teaching at where you're going.
4. Finally; new opportunities. I've gotten 2 scholarships for university and decreased offers, had the chance to play basketball for my region and coach my college team as well as taking up and EPQ, doing my first aid and going on some pretty cool trips. I'm sixth form colleges there's (generally) more options, since all the funding goes towards 16-19 y/o students, not 11 y/o kids.

Basically I'm glad I went and I think most other people are too. Hope this helps, any other questions just ask!
Reply 11
Original post by Chloex00
At the start of the year i was quite overwhelmed at the class sizes but once i settled in i like the sizes, plus everyone bounces off each other so when a teacher asks a question loads of people will give their answers in, and the teacher will still come around and give one to one help.

This was very useful. Thank you so much😊😊
Reply 12
Original post by EdexcelAreIdiots
Personally I don't think so. You have your 5/6 lessons a week (split between 2 teachers normally) and usually my teachers are never too busy if I email them for work, go to them with a question etc.

Doesn't sound too bad! Thanks for the replies😊
Reply 13

This is acc quite surprising🤔. Thanks for sharing
Reply 14
Original post by GHCJordan
I'm a student currently doing my A levels who had this same dilemma. I was popular at school, liked by the teachers, and was prom king but I decided to go to a sixth form college, my advice? GO TO THE COLLEGE. Of course it's your own decision but I'll give you a few reasons from my own personal experience.
1. Meet new people, probably. I've met so many new people at college, or through college that are invaluable in my life. It's nice to meet new people, at different stages in life.
2. It's a better study environment. Because everyone is doing A levels (or btecs at some sixth form colleges), during exam time the mood is serious. Its seriously motivating and relaxing when there isn't loads of distractions from kids.
3. Sometimes they're just better.. your mother says it's for trash? My sixth form college is one of the top performing institutions for A levels in England, but I suppose that all depends on the quality of teaching at where you're going.
4. Finally; new opportunities. I've gotten 2 scholarships for university and decreased offers, had the chance to play basketball for my region and coach my college team as well as taking up and EPQ, doing my first aid and going on some pretty cool trips. I'm sixth form colleges there's (generally) more options, since all the funding goes towards 16-19 y/o students, not 11 y/o kids.

Basically I'm glad I went and I think most other people are too. Hope this helps, any other questions just ask!

👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾. I hope anyone else wanting to go to college reads this. Thanks for replying😊
Original post by regi.01
Am I right in assuming you went to another school? If so, do you like it there now?

Yeah, I left my old school to move to a new sixth form school, and I really enjoy it. Didn't take me long to find new friends, because there were quite a few other newbies.
Btw, good luck for your GCSEs
Reply 16
Yeah, I left my old school to move to a new sixth form school, and I really enjoy it. Didn't take me long to find new friends, because there were quite a few other newbies.
Btw, good luck for your GCSEs

I'm glad you enjoy it now. Thanks for replying (and the luck😂)
Original post by regi.01
I'm glad you enjoy it now. Thanks for replying (and the luck😂)

trust me, the feeling of finally finishing gcses goes away when you start a levels, lmao. take advantage of the free time you've got now, and binge all those Netflix shows before September...

Quick Reply

Latest