The Student Room Group

Partial pressures

Something similar to this question came up in my last exam and I didn't know how to do it...
it asked to find the partial pressures of an equation similar to this, and it only provided 1 value of moles like so....
image-87ba5867-7069-4da6-afc8-b58bdcd8281f3686841393123553387-compressed.jpg.jpeg
any help is much appreciated.
thanks
Original post by abdullah1443
Something similar to this question came up in my last exam and I didn't know how to do it...
it asked to find the partial pressures of an equation similar to this, and it only provided 1 value of moles like so....
image-87ba5867-7069-4da6-afc8-b58bdcd8281f3686841393123553387-compressed.jpg.jpeg
any help is much appreciated.
thanks

All partial pressures questions involve a maximum of two formulae.

1. The pp of an individual gas in a mixture = the mole fraction x the total pressure.

Where mol fraction = mol of gas/total moles of all gases

2. The sum of the partial pressures of all gases = the total pressure

In this case there must be more information allowing you to find the moles of all components, either the equilibrium constant or the initial moles of one of the components,
Original post by charco
All partial pressures questions involve a maximum of two formulae.

1. The pp of an individual gas in a mixture = the mole fraction x the total pressure.

Where mol fraction = mol of gas/total moles of all gases

2. The sum of the partial pressures of all gases = the total pressure

In this case there must be more information allowing you to find the moles of all components, either the equilibrium constant or the initial moles of one of the components,

Yeah I just asked a few people, and they said the equilibrium constant was actually given in the exam q, even though I can't remember so, anyways if I were to have the kp I still can't see how to do it. I can't find an example q, so if u can possibly use a random number just as an example to show me how it's done so if it comes up again I can answer it. Thanks.
Original post by abdullah1443
Yeah I just asked a few people, and they said the equilibrium constant was actually given in the exam q, even though I can't remember so, anyways if I were to have the kp I still can't see how to do it. I can't find an example q, so if u can possibly use a random number just as an example to show me how it's done so if it comes up again I can answer it. Thanks.

kp = p(CH3OH)/p(H2)2xp(CO)

and you know that p(H2)2xp(CO) = p(H2)3

so from p(CH3OH) and kp you can work out everything else
Original post by charco

and you know that p(H2)2xp(CO) = p(H2)3

Ah, I didn't know that, I see it, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest