ZoehLawliet
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi all,

I was wondering what steps I can take to start a career in clinical psychology. I had not intended psychology the subject I would read at university, so I chose Politics, History and Psychology as my A-levels.

I've heard it's very difficult to get into the psychological field without at least one A-level in the natural sciences, or mathematics. Thus, I am wondering how to proceed at this point to ensure I can have the career I desire.

Thank you!
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You may get accepted onto some psychology degrees with that A Level combination, but you may be restricted for some to apply for.

Alternatively, you can do another degree and then do a psychology conversion course.

Then you need relevant work experience to get accepted onto the clinical psychology doctorate, which is very competitive
hypaspud182
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
psychology bsc (depending on where you apply) isnt necessarily difficult to get into as i did a psychology degree. it is the postgrad doctorate in clinical psychology that is competitive. you ll need a 1st or 2 1 at undergraduate and experience (i know someone who got into clinical psychology by getting experience as a mental health support worker). good luck
username3638550
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You can get onto the undergraduate degree without psychology A level, it depends on the university. I've been accepted and I only did a tiny bit of psychology in an access course. At an open day a lecturer said they teach you everything you need and don't expect you to have done it at a level.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.41%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
28.45%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (91)
38.08%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.55%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.51%

Watched Threads