Ell1e10
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’ve chosen to study biology and chemistry at a levels however I cannot decide which third subject to take. Everybody is telling me to do maths as it goes well with the combination but even though I will get an ok grade at gcse (6) I am not particularly good at it. Any suggestions on what would go well with this combination?
minhalinda
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Psychology or sociology perhaps?
username3644450
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It depends what you want to do - if you want to go on to get into the medical field, you are probably going to need Maths. If not, popular choices are physics (though three sciences sounds like hell), psychology, english, and geography. It's pretty difficult to get anything that "matches" biology and chemistry except maths, or possibly physics. But, the good thing about bio and chem is that they are universally respected a-levels and often you hear about people who decided medical isn't for them, so end up in all sorts of other competitive careers. There's a surprising amount that go into law with biology and chemistry. That's where an essay subject might help on the side - facilitating would help (history is good for law, or a language). If not faciliating, the "respected" non-facilitating subjects are Economics, Religion, Philosophy & Ethics, etc etc. Good luck!
hp4300
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ell1e10)
I’ve chosen to study biology and chemistry at a levels however I cannot decide which third subject to take. Everybody is telling me to do maths as it goes well with the combination but even though I will get an ok grade at gcse (6) I am not particularly good at it. Any suggestions on what would go well with this combination?
Economics or maybe Geography if you take it at GCSE
Ell1e10
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by aliceoko)
It depends what you want to do - if you want to go on to get into the medical field, you are probably going to need Maths. If not, popular choices are physics (though three sciences sounds like hell), psychology, english, and geography. It's pretty difficult to get anything that "matches" biology and chemistry except maths, or possibly physics. But, the good thing about bio and chem is that they are universally respected a-levels and often you hear about people who decided medical isn't for them, so end up in all sorts of other competitive careers. There's a surprising amount that go into law with biology and chemistry. That's where an essay subject might help on the side - facilitating would help (history is good for law, or a language). If not faciliating, the "respected" non-facilitating subjects are Economics, Religion, Philosophy & Ethics, etc etc. Good luck!
Thankyou that’s really helpful, I have been looking into becoming a paramedic which I know is very competitive however maths is not required and a lot of unis only need a minimum of one science. Do you think that if I didn’t take maths I would have a big disadvantage compared to other students or would biology and chemistry put me in a good place. I would of really have liked to take geography but unfortunately I made a mistake and didn’t take it at gcse. Also psychology, from what I have heard it’s not very respected by university’s and does not have a lot of value as so many choose to take it. Thankyou
Jpw1097
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thankyou that’s really helpful, I have been looking into becoming a paramedic which I know is very competitive however maths is not required and a lot of unis only need a minimum of one science. Do you think that if I didn’t take maths I would have a big disadvantage compared to other students or would biology and chemistry put me in a good place. I would of really have liked to take geography but unfortunately I made a mistake and didn’t take it at gcse. Also psychology, from what I have heard it’s not very respected by university’s and does not have a lot of value as so many choose to take it. Thankyou
I really wouldn't have thought so. Even for very competitive courses like medicine, maths isn't required. I think biology and chemistry should be fine.
username3644450
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Being at a disadvantage also depends on what uni you are looking to go to. For top Russell Group and Oxbridge, without Maths you would be at a disadvantage, but lower Russell Group or other universities it wouldn't be such an issue. From what I've seen of paramedical degrees you are right, they do generally only want 1 science, preferably biology, so if you take biology and chemistry that would probably put you in good stead and keep you competitive. I'd say then for your third take any "respected" a-level, preferably facilitating, but if you have biology and chemistry, it would probably be better to get a good grade in a less respected alevel that you like and are going to do well in (any subject you are liking at gcse currently), than doing badly in a good one, because obviously bio and chem are the only ones that really matter.
I spent forever picking my alevels so I know what a headache it can be haha! Just remember if worse comes to worse you can always try an a-level out for the first few weeks and then swap. Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (135)
58.7%
No (52)
22.61%
Not sure (43)
18.7%

Watched Threads