The Student Room Group

Route to becoming a Nurse Practitionner in the UK????

Hi, I'm in Year 12 and am studying A Level: French, Biology, Chemistry and Level 3 Mathematical Studies (predicted: AABC).

At the moment I'm having an interest in becoming a Nurse Practitionner; I'm currently in the process of organising an opportunity for me to work in a local hospice, to get some relevant experience, before I officially decidethat this is what I want to do.

My question is, how do I get there? It's confusing as much of the information online is based off of how it works in the USA.

Would this be a valid route to becoming a Nurse Practitionner (I want to be a Nurse Anesthesiologist ):

1) University of Southampton-
Bachelor's in - (Adult) Nursing.
https://www.southampton.ac.uk/healthsciences/undergraduate/courses/bsc_nursing_adult.page

2) University of Southampton
Master's in Advanced Clinical Practice (Advanced [Nurse] Practitioner)
https://www.southampton.ac.uk/healthsciences/postgraduate/taught_courses/msc_adv_clin_practice_practitioner.page

Is this the correct route? Any other things that I need to do?
Thanks for reading and I would really appreciate your advice. :smile:
I’d research the difference in the roles here in the UK first of all, for example, there’s no nurse anaesthesiologist role in the UK.

Have a mooch about on here, your question has been asked quite a few times in the past, generally, it takes several years experience as a staff nurse and a training position to be able to get onto the advanced practice MSc.
Original post by moonkatt
I’d research the difference in the roles here in the UK first of all, for example, there’s no nurse anaesthesiologist role in the UK.

Have a mooch about on here, your question has been asked quite a few times in the past, generally, it takes several years experience as a staff nurse and a training position to be able to get onto the advanced practice MSc.

Oh I had no idea there were no roles for them. Nevertheless, there are other fields too which I do really like. Would you reccomend instead that after I get my bachelors, I go on and do a Master's in Adult Nursing
https://www.southampton.ac.uk/healthsciences/postgraduate/taught_courses/pgdip_adult_nursing.page Then get a few years work experience before applying for the advanced practice MSc? You see, I would like to be as qualified as possible before I officially enter the world of work.
Original post by randomsheep11
Oh I had no idea there were no roles for them. Nevertheless, there are other fields too which I do really like. Would you reccomend instead that after I get my bachelors, I go on and do a Master's in Adult Nursing
https://www.southampton.ac.uk/healthsciences/postgraduate/taught_courses/pgdip_adult_nursing.page Then get a few years work experience before applying for the advanced practice MSc? You see, I would like to be as qualified as possible before I officially enter the world of work.

A BSc is enough, gain experience as a staff nurse and find an area of practice you like working in. If you find a trainee ANP post then they’ll put you on the appropriate masters course and fund it.
A BSc is enough, gain experience as a staff nurse and find an area of practice you like working in. If you find a trainee ANP post then they’ll put you on the appropriate masters course and fund it.

Oh ok I understand now thank you :smile: I have 2 more questions if that's ok. 1) I feel like I will be able to work really hard and do well in my Bachelor's, but how difficult is it to find a trainee ANP post? (If one doesn't arrive could I just pay for the ANP Master's muself after I've had a few years of work experience?) 2) I also have an interest in becoming an ER Nurse, are there a sufficient amount of these roles in the UK?
Thank you :smile:
Original post by randomsheep11
Oh ok I understand now thank you :smile: I have 2 more questions if that's ok. 1) I feel like I will be able to work really hard and do well in my Bachelor's, but how difficult is it to find a trainee ANP post? (If one doesn't arrive could I just pay for the ANP Master's muself after I've had a few years of work experience?) 2) I also have an interest in becoming an ER Nurse, are there a sufficient amount of these roles in the UK?
Thank you :smile:

1) I’ve not heard of people self funding, as there’s a clinical component to the advanced practice course, so you’d need supporting, however it’s likely people have managed to do this.

2) There’s a shortage of nurses nationally, so it’s likely you’ll be able to find employment in the area you want to. If emergency nursing is what interests you then there are a few different routes to go down involving advanced nurse practice.

My usual advice to students who ask about advanced nurse practice on here is to get experience as a staff nurse first. Passing your pre reg and gaining experience as an NQ nurse is hard enough, it’s possibly you may find your ideas for career direction change completely from your experiences
1) I’ve not heard of people self funding, as there’s a clinical component to the advanced practice course, so you’d need supporting, however it’s likely people have managed to do this.

2) There’s a shortage of nurses nationally, so it’s likely you’ll be able to find employment in the area you want to. If emergency nursing is what interests you then there are a few different routes to go down involving advanced nurse practice.

My usual advice to students who ask about advanced nurse practice on here is to get experience as a staff nurse first. Passing your pre reg and gaining experience as an NQ nurse is hard enough, it’s possibly you may find your ideas for career direction change completely from your experiences
Thank you for your help and information, it has been very informative :smile: I understand it now thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending