What A - Levels are best?

Watch this thread
Loz_Simmonds
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
What a levels should I think about doing??

I don’t really know what a levels to do because I want to go on and study law at university and I heard that they prefer more ‘traditional’ a levels.

If anyone is studying law at university what a levels did you choose? And how much did universities care about what ones you chose?

I was thinking about doing Psychology, Law and Maths

Help me out??

(P.s i know the whole controversy about universities not liking law at a level / they prefer it)
username1765117
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
The sort of most “proper” and best respected A-Levels are:
- History and Geography
- Languages
- Physics, Chemistry, Biology,
- Maths and Further maths
- English literature

These are often called the “facilitating subjects” by Russel group unis.

However in reality the Russel group is pretty stupid and the most important thing is to pick subjects you enjoy and are good at. Personally I took maths and physics because I wanted to do maths. In the end massively regretted taking physics because it’s horrible and rather I did something interesting like philosophy. Those subjects are fine and will give you a real good mix of friends.
Rainyday8
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
2 tips:
Firstly, research the type of entry requirements for law degrees at different universities as this will give you an idea
Secondly, pick A-level subjects that you think you will enjoy/ or already enjoy

regarding psychology, it's a very interesting subject, but does contain science and a bit of essay writing.
Loz_Simmonds
Rep:
(Original post by TheTree0fDeath)
The sort of most “proper” and best respected A-Levels are:
- History and Geography
- Languages
- Physics, Chemistry, Biology,
- Maths and Further maths
- English literature

These are often called the “facilitating subjects” by Russel group unis.

However in reality the Russel group is pretty stupid and the most important thing is to pick subjects you enjoy and are good at. Personally I took maths and physics because I wanted to do maths. In the end massively regretted taking physics because it’s horrible and rather I did something interesting like philosophy. Those subjects are fine and will give you a real good mix of friends.
Thank you. I do think that I would enjoy the subjects that I have chosen and the uni websites that I have looked at don’t really say anything about what a levels to do and that I’m some cases they say what grades you need.
Loz_Simmonds
Rep:
(Original post by Rainyday8)
2 tips:
Firstly, research the type of entry requirements for law degrees at different universities as this will give you an idea
Secondly, pick A-level subjects that you think you will enjoy/ or already enjoy

regarding psychology, it's a very interesting subject, but does contain science and a bit of essay writing.
I understand about psychology, which is why I chose it. I find science interesting but chemistry, biology or physics don’t really interest me anymore and I don’t want to pick them and not enjoy them. I also chose the essay writing aspect as it is good to have one of those subjects and English doesn’t appeal and I’d rather do psychology than history aha. Thanks for the information
username3731912
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
i know its been a month but just quickly, law and psych ive heard arent so respected so id probs get rid of law and some unis acc dont want it like lse
MJ4545
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
The best A Levels to pick are the ones you enjoy most, that's so important. As long as you meet any specific subject requirements, make sure u go for the ones u like best
JodiieAnne
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
It's a myth, Uni's don't actually care whether you take Law or not. It won't make a difference if you do or don't take it, but it's a really interesting subject so it's worth taking I reckon
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (68)
66.02%
No (26)
25.24%
I didn't use it to prepare (9)
8.74%

Watched Threads