The Student Room Group

Live exam, revision & careers support until 9pm

You're with Sophie from the National Careers Service tonight until 9pm.

I'm here to answer all of your careers questions including exam stress and revision tips.

Look forward to your messages - Sophie.

Scroll to see replies

how can I revise for a physics GCSE?
Original post by Shlomolazarus
how can I revise for a physics GCSE?

Hi there,

Thanks for your question.

Everyone has as different technique when it comes to revising. Make sure you have the best revision text books possible and the most up to date ones for the Physics syllabus firstly.

You can often find past exam papers on the AQA or EdExcel website to help you practice answering exam questions.

You might find it useful to make flash cards and have a friend or family member to help you by testing your knowledge with different cards.

Some people need to revise in a quiet environment some prefer to have background noise such as music.

Just make sure to give yourself breaks in between your revision time, most people can only fully concentrate for around 20 minutes before our minds wander and look for other things to do.

When is your Physics exam?

Thanks - Sophie.
Reply 3
What would be the key differences between an LLB law 6 year apprenticeship and studying Law at university? Would they both lead to same the opportunities and which provide greater job security at the end of it?
Original post by National Careers Service
Hi there,

Thanks for your question.

Everyone has as different technique when it comes to revising. Make sure you have the best revision text books possible and the most up to date ones for the Physics syllabus firstly.

You can often find past exam papers on the AQA or EdExcel website to help you practice answering exam questions.

You might find it useful to make flash cards and have a friend or family member to help you by testing your knowledge with different cards.

Some people need to revise in a quiet environment some prefer to have background noise such as music.

Just make sure to give yourself breaks in between your revision time, most people can only fully concentrate for around 20 minutes before our minds wander and look for other things to do.

When is your Physics exam?

Thanks - Sophie.

friday and do you have any websites i can use to get past papers?
You're with Sophie from the National Careers Service tonight until 9pm.

I'm here to answer all of your careers questions including exam stress and revision tips.

Look forward to your messages - Sophie.

Hi Sophie, would the GCSE maths resit be available to do in November this year or next year in May/June?
Original post by AkshayManjunath
Hi Sophie, would the GCSE maths resit be available to do in November this year or next year in May/June?

i heard that if you are 16 before the 31 of August 2018 then you can retake the math exam in November
that is what i heard but don't know if it is true
Original post by Dazeo
What would be the key differences between an LLB law 6 year apprenticeship and studying Law at university? Would they both lead to same the opportunities and which provide greater job security at the end of it?

Hi there,

Fantastic question!

Firstly, both are great routes to take when it comes to working in law there really is no right or wrong path here. Main differences are:

- An apprenticeships will take longer to complete
- You will be paid a training wage on the apprenticeship whereas you won't at uni
- You will gain 6 years worth of skills and experience on an apprenticeship. You can gain these skills at uni but you would need to set up a voluntary or (possibly) paid placement
- You don't need to apply for student finance on a degree apprenticeship as this is funded for you

I think that it's important to think about the type of learner you are. Do you learn better in an education environment or would you prefer to be in the workplace?

There is also no harm in applying for both just so you have a back up option or if you change your mind.

Are you leaning towards one or the other at the moment?

Thanks- Sophie.

I can certainly find some for you, is this for GCSE or A-level?

Thanks - Sophie.
I can certainly find some for you, is this for GCSE or A-level?

Thanks - Sophie.

GCSE and Edexcel combined science foundation
Original post by AkshayManjunath

Hi there,

This is a great question.

Answer depends on your school and when they are running the re-sit.

November is generally the time of year that the resits for Maths are done. If your school isn't offering it in November you may need to wait until the following year or look for an alternative school/college to sit as a private candidate.

Have you spoken to your school/college regarding their resits?

Thanks - Sophie.
hi, would it be better to do a mechanical enigneering degree and then do a biomedical engineering masters or a biomedical enginering degree (i want tto design prosthetic limbs after uni)
Reply 12
Hi there,

Fantastic question!

Firstly, both are great routes to take when it comes to working in law there really is no right or wrong path here. Main differences are:

- An apprenticeships will take longer to complete
- You will be paid a training wage on the apprenticeship whereas you won't at uni
- You will gain 6 years worth of skills and experience on an apprenticeship. You can gain these skills at uni but you would need to set up a voluntary or (possibly) paid placement
- You don't need to apply for student finance on a degree apprenticeship as this is funded for you

I think that it's important to think about the type of learner you are. Do you learn better in an education environment or would you prefer to be in the workplace?

There is also no harm in applying for both just so you have a back up option or if you change your mind.

Are you leaning towards one or the other at the moment?

Thanks- Sophie.

I'm currently leaning towards the apprenticeship side, I prefer the idea of making money which in result obtaining the same skills if not more practical learning as I barely made it through A-levels, the learning environment is not suitable for me.
I just need to make sure there will be no disadvantage compared to others studying law at university?

The website of the exam board, and this, http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com
GCSE and Edexcel combined science foundation

Wonderful thank you for that!

Check out the following links and let me know if you think they will be useful:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/Science/2016/Specification/SAMs_GCSE_L1-L2_in_Combined_Science.pdf

https://mathsmadeeasy.co.uk/gcse-science-revision/edexcel-past-papers/

I hope these help!
Sophie,

Thanks for doing this and helping out the community!

Do you think having high-caffeine drinks whilst revising (or before an exam) aids or damages revision? I'll often start my revision with a cup of strong coffee and carry on having coffee every couple of hours until I finish. Would you recommend water instead? I suppose this is sort of a revision question :hmmm:
Wonderful thank you for that!

Check out the following links and let me know if you think they will be useful:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/Science/2016/Specification/SAMs_GCSE_L1-L2_in_Combined_Science.pdf

https://mathsmadeeasy.co.uk/gcse-science-revision/edexcel-past-papers/

I hope these help!

thank you so much
Hi there,

This is a great question.

Answer depends on your school and when they are running the re-sit.

November is generally the time of year that the resits for Maths are done. If your school isn't offering it in November you may need to wait until the following year or look for an alternative school/college to sit as a private candidate.

Have you spoken to your school/college regarding their resits?

Thanks - Sophie.

Thank you very much for replying. I'll speak to my school on GCSE results day which is in August regarding the date of the maths resit.
Original post by Andrew97
The website of the exam board, and this, http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com

thank you
Original post by Inspire_pizza
hi, would it be better to do a mechanical enigneering degree and then do a biomedical engineering masters or a biomedical enginering degree (i want tto design prosthetic limbs after uni)

Hi there,

Difficult one to answer as both are great routes.

Doing a mechanical engineering degree will keep options open in engineering before doing your masters.

You may be able to find a 4 year degree in Biomedical Engineering which incorporates your Masters into the final year.

Your masters is certainly going to be helpful here, have you also looked into other routes such as higher or degree apprenticeships?

Thanks - Sophie.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending