A-level ICT vs Computer Science? Watch

Unstudioustudent
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Narrowing down my options for A-level; trying to decide between ICT and Computer Science.

Anyone doing both? How are they different? Which do you prefer?

Any advice much appreciated!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Shadowdraconis
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Unstudioustudent)
Narrowing down my options for A-level; trying to decide between ICT and Computer Science.

I don't do both (Just computer science) but in my experience Computer Science is regarded higher than ICT and most people consider comp sci to be more interesting too
And it also depends on what you want to do in the future.
Emanity
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Unstudioustudent)

I only take computer science as well and I want to do it at uni so if your in the same boat then CompSci all the way. In general I would say compact is regarded better than ICT and more useful when applying to uni. Although if you are looking to do computer science in the future then you should know that maths is often wanted more than computer science anyway xx
winterscoming
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
ICT tends to study computing and technology from a business perspective (Think of it like a cross-over between Business Studies and Computing); it emphasises business analysis, planning/testing, project management, legal/ethical issues, with some technical skills (e.g. web development and databases), and a lot of time using MS Office products (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.) - there's significantly less emphasis on the technical skills or problem-solving elements of computer science.

A-Level Computer Science (Formerly A-Level Computing) tends to include some 'project' skills where most computer science students end up delivering a software project for their coursework (so, systems analysis skills are part of it), but with a far greater emphasis on programming, computer architecture, networks, algorithms, data structures, logic and problem solving.
Unstudioustudent
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it! However did some googling this evening and found ICT A-level doesn’t exist anymore due to the reforms, and it’s highly unlikely I’ll be able to do Computer Science because it has a coursework component; being homeschooled I’m not sure if I can get it validated

Thanks again!
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (282)
92.46%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (23)
7.54%

Watched Threads