The Student Room Group

How to deal with your best friend dating your crush?

I liked this guy for a few months and my friend and I would always talk about how hot he was. I was single, she was in a long term relationship. He was therefore out of bounds for her but she still appreciated that he was very hot.

I found it difficult to make a move because his best friend liked me and would always try and flirt and ask me out. I told him I wasn't interested but it still felt a bit shady to then go for his hot friend. I guess I was playing it slow, waiting for his friend to back off so neither of us would be stepping on his toes.

Two weeks ago my friend broke up with her boyfriend and within a matter of days, she started hitting up the guy we both thought was hot. It was fair game, I hadn't made a move on him yet so she could do what she likes. I kind of encouraged her as well because I thought it could take her mind off her breakup.

They've started dating now but I find it a bit awkward because I was the main one who kept going on about how good looking and lovely he was. So now if they become boyfriend/girlfriend, how can I not fancy him? Usually if you like your friend's boyfriend you just keep it to yourself but it feels strange because it's so out in the open.

She keeps talking about how much he likes her and I find it a bit uncomfortable because I did like him and she knows that.
did you tell her that you still like him
even though it sounds *****y you need to tell her so she knows
even though it sounds a bit rude you should still make sure you tell her
Reply 4
Original post by lydiot
did you tell her that you still like him

Well she knew I still liked him because we talked about him regularly but I wasn't going to stop her from pursuing him. There are other guys out there.
Reply 5
Original post by lydiot
even though it sounds a bit rude you should still make sure you tell her

I don't want to spoil things for her, it's not my place to. I was just wondering if anyone's been in a similar position and how they handled seeing their best friend dating the guy you like. If it made things difficult further down the line or if you were able to get over it etc.
Sigh. There goes another rift in another beautiful friendship.

You ever heard that saying? Sisters before misters. Live up to it. Don’t let any dude come between you guys. How long have you been friends for?

Anyway, rest aside, I really feel like you need to tell her that yeah hun I still like him so if you’re planning to pursue a relationship with him, just make sure nothing affects our friendship.

Me and my friend liked the same guy too once. But when we realized the effects it could have on us, we “dumped” that dude and decided he was ugly af.

Just point out his bad features to your friend maybe? Like look how ugly his hair is. Or “ewww I saw him eat a nose booger that day!”

Silly I know. But at the end I repeat again, sisters before misters ❤️❤️

Quick Reply

Latest