The Student Room Group

2018 Cambridge Chemistry Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Since the last day of the paper is over, I think it's OK to openly discuss the paper.

What do you guys think the boundaries will look like? I reckon the percentage boundaries will be a little higher for the high awards. But this time the max mark was 65 (can someone check this - I don't trust my counting lol) and last year it was 68 so the raw mark numbers will probably be about the same. At the lower end I think the "accessible" questions were perhaps harder than normal though.

My predictions:
Rg: 52+
Gold: 34-51
Silver: 25-33
Copper: 14-24
If anyone is wondering what the organic compound synthesis was, it was the synthesis for "acesulfame potassium".

What did people get for the volume on the last one and the mass of moon rock required? I got 53dm^3 for the former, don't remember the latter.
I would predict about the same award boundaries for last year.
Original post by stephy01
P sure the deadline was today so we can discuss it now. Thought the physical section was fine and the last question with the urine was alright, if an odd topic 😂 - got the same answer as someone's deleted post on here which is reassuring. I was very lost on the organic bit tho, ended up skipping some of it after getting in a muddle. Ran out of time to go back and give it a proper attempt but figured it was better to skip to the last question which I was p confident with rather than spend loads of time on a question only to still most likely get it wrong.... Will probs kick myself on seeing some of the answers, I know I panicked and did some silly mistakes :frown: oh well fingers crossed for something at least. How did everyone else find it?

The organic is usually the hardest part. It's still possible to do well if you can'd do the big synthesis qestion.

I kicked myself for using 16 as the Mr of O2 gas rather than 32 in the moon rock question. Everyone makes mistakes...
You should like it. It's heavy on calculations and organic synthesis which is often basically just problem-solving. If you do A-level see how you like it - C3L6 is like the change from GCSE to A-level but doubled or tripled.
You'd be surprised: 15-24 (inclusive) were the boundaries for the copper award in 2017, so you would have achieved an award!

Spoiler

You can get all that information (including a mark distribution graph) from the "Reports" available on the C3L6 website. Here's a link: http://www.c3l6.org/downloads

Platinum is group 10, next to Gold. The prizes are named after Group 11 elements, hence the top prize is... Roentgenium! This is awarded to the top 50 or so students in the country, and they are all invited to a residential chemistry camp over 4 days near the end of the summer holidays at the University of Cambridge, usually staying at St Catharine's or Corpus Christi college. I went there last year and it was a fantastic experience!

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
Anyone know when the answers will be out officially?
But hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe? :bebored:
Rg winners get a crystal orbital trophy; I have my 2p atomic orbital sitting on my desk right in front of me!

Chemistry is really fun, you should give it a go if you have time. You are quite active with Maths Olympiad though, right? Make sure you keep doing well in those too!
Hey I don't know if we will get to see the markscheme so can anyone put some of the answers up or make an unofficial one so we can see how we did?? Thank you!!
I'm not sure what the point would be in awarding different awards to every individual, particularly at the top bracket.
Yeah astatine would be pretty cool.
Original post by TheMindGarage
The organic is usually the hardest part. It's still possible to do well if you can'd do the big synthesis qestion.

I kicked myself for using 16 as the Mr of O2 gas rather than 32 in the moon rock question. Everyone makes mistakes...

Oh god I think I used 16 as well 🙃🙃 high-key beating myself up too now but at least we know someone else did it as well...
I think the "Roentgenium" title + Cambridge residential + Award Ceremony at Goldsmith's Hall (London) where you get to do a 4 min presentation on an element of your choice + free signed copy of CSR + crystal orbital trophy + the other merchandise you get is already cool enough.

But each to their own...

Spoiler

No, the IChO selection camp was different. You needed top 30 in round 1 of UKChO to get to that camp. It's a different competition, though it is organised by largely the same people.

I was not selected for IChO and will be going to Uni next year, so I have missed my chance. At least I got even more merchandise!

It sounds like some people on this thread may have a good shot at it for next year.
Natural sciences at Cambridge (St Catharine's college).

There were some very impressive candidates and those who did make the IChO team thoroughly deserved it in my opinion.

The whole process was fantastic for me because it really sparked my interest in chemistry. I am ever grateful to the UKChO (and BPhO and BBO) teams for writing such interesting and challenging questions. I also met some really fantastic people at the camps and have made some great friends, many of whom I will (hopefully!) be seeing at Cambridge from October!

What subject(s) are you considering applying for? Presumably maths?
(edited 5 years ago)
According to my teacher I got either 56 or 57, which should hopefully get me a Roentgenium award!

Hopefully my paper doesn't get modded down and the grade boundaries don't increase by a lot :biggrin:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM
No, the IChO selection camp was different. You needed top 30 in round 1 of UKChO to get to that camp. It's a different competition, though it is organised by largely the same people.

I was not selected for IChO and will be going to Uni next year, so I have missed my chance. At least I got even more merchandise!

It sounds like some people on this thread may have a good shot at it for next year.

Afraid the C3L6 was disastrous for me this year and I've almost undoubtedly missed my Rg but I'm def going for the team next year. Got a gold on the olympiad this year but had no clue what I was doing, hope to brush up my knowledge and get things straight for next year. Dunno if I have a chance but seems like it would be fun since chem is my favorite subject and it's where my heart truly lies lmao

Well done everyone who completed the challenge this year, and hope you all enjoyed it
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by chickenwing2291
That is almost definitely a Rg considering the increased difficulty of this year's paper, well done and respect
Did you use any books or just past papers? I presume being good at maths helps substantially

Thanks, and yeah I have been working towards it for a long time ngl (I did loads of chem Olympiad questions throughout the year).Yep maths is quite important for the chem problem solving stuff (although my maths skills are fairly mediocre in comparison to others on here).
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by chickenwing2291
Afraid the C3L6 was disastrous for me this year and I've almost undoubtedly missed my Rg but I'm def going for the team next year. Got a gold on the olympiad this year but had no clue what I was doing, hope to brush up my knowledge and get things straight for next year. Dunno if I have a chance but seems like it would be fun since chem is my favorite subject and it's where my heart truly lies lmao

Well done everyone who completed the challenge this year, and hope you all enjoyed it

Gold in Y12 is fantastic! I just got a low silver when I did UKChO1 in Y12 (though I think most of the IChO team members got Gold in Y12; one of them even made the IChO team in Y12 as well as being selected this year!).

Shame about C3L6, but keep your hopes up; you never know where the grade boundaries may be :wink:

On a different note, I asked my (ex-)teacher for a copy of the paper and it looked really interesting this year. Quite a nice synthesis route; it reminds me of this year's UKChO Round 1. The last structure will have been quite challenging to deduce if you hadn't fully assimilated all the information provided in the question (or didn't already know the synthesis route).
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest