STEP 2018 Solutions Watch

username3720230
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by DFranklin)
(iii) Candidate has probability (1-p) of answering a question. So p(answers 3) = \binom{5}{2} p^2(1-p)^3 = 10 p^2(1-p)^3. So p(Pass AND answers 3) = 10p^2(1-p)^3 P3 = 10p^2(1-p)^3 p^3 = 10p^5(1-p)^3.
Similarly, p(Pass AND answers 4) = 5 p(1-p)^4 P4 = 20p^4(1-p)^5 + 5p^5(1-p)^4
And p(Pass AND answers 5) = (1-p)^5 P5 = 5p^4(1-p)^6 + p^5(1-p)^5

So p(Pass) is the sum of these, that is:

p^4(1-p)^3(10p + 20(1-p)^2+5p(1-p)+5(1-p)^3+p(1-p)^2)

=\frac{1}{n^4}\frac{(n-1)^3}{n^3}\left(\frac{10}{n} + 20\frac{(n-1)^2}{n^2} + 5\frac{n(n-1)}{n^2} + 5 \frac{(n-1)^3}{n^3} + \frac{(n-1)^2}{n^3}\right)

=\frac{(n-1)^3}{n^{10}}(10n^2 +20n(n-1)^2+5n^2(n-1)+5(n-1)^3+(n-1)^2)

=\frac{(n-1)^3}{n^{10}}(10n^2 + 20n^3-40n^2 + 20n +5n^3-5n^2+5n^3-15n^2+15n-5+n^2-2n+1)

=\frac{(n-1)^3}{n^{10}}(30n^3-49n^2+33n-4)

(Wouldn't be surprised at all if there are algebra errors in this - direct to LaTeX and to be honest I really found it hard to care given the messiness of it all).
For the last result I got \frac{25n-9}{(n+1)^5} could someone check which is right im not that confident because of all the algebra and sorry if someone posted it further down in the thread
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by sameactuallylol)
For the last result I got \frac{25n-9}{(n+1)^5} could someone check which is right im not that confident because of all the algebra and sorry if someone posted it further down in the thread
In case you missed it, I made a big slip (taking p(answers a question) to be (n-1)/n instead of n/(n+1)), which (of course) fundamentally messes up my answer to the last part. Someone else did say they'd post their solution (and that they'd checked it against a computer simulation).

I'm not sure I can face redoing the last part myself, but I might do if no-one else does post a correct version.
Lordkpaj
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Here is my attempt on Q13. I got the same results as DFranklin on (i) and (ii) and 25n-9/(n+1)^5 on (iii) as sameactuallylol suggested.

Gregorius
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by sameactuallylol)
Yes, I've just ground through this horror myself and agree with your answer!
Notnek
  • Study Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
DFranklin do you mind checking the last part of my Q9 solution above when you have time? The last part seemed too simple and I feel uneasy not having used x\sin\alpha \geq d\sin \beta anywhere. Thanks.

EDIT: Answered below.
JeremyC
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Notnek)
DFranklin do you mind checking the last part of my Q9 solution above when you have time? The last part seemed too simple and I feel uneasy not having used x\sin\alpha \geq d\sin \beta anywhere. Thanks.
I think it looks good. In the first line the second term of the derivative needs to be multiplied by \frac{1}{2}, but you clearly meant to do that as the next line is correct.

The condition x\sin{\alpha} \geq d \sin{\beta} is required to ensure that k^2x - kd is non-negative, and hence that we can take the square root of it in the expression for the total time.
Notnek
  • Study Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by JeremyC)
I think it looks good. In the first line the second term of the derivative needs to be multiplied by \frac{1}{2}, but you clearly meant to do that as the next line is correct.

The condition x\sin{\alpha} \geq d \sin{\beta} is required to ensure that k^2x - kd is non-negative, and hence that we can take the square root of it in the expression for the total time.
Thanks I made the correction. Do you think this explanation of it being non-negative is required anywhere throughout the working to get full marks? I'm still not used to STEP questions, hence why I'm starting to practice them
JeremyC
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Notnek)
Thanks I made the correction. Do you think this explanation of it being non-negative is required anywhere throughout the working to get full marks? I'm still not used to STEP questions, hence why I'm starting to practice them
I don't know exactly how the questions get marked, but if I were marking that question I'd probably give one mark for showing the expression inside the square root is non-negative.

For full marks, I'd look out for particular cases which are not allowed - e.g. dividing by zero, or if working with the reals taking the square root of a negative number or the logarithm of a non-positive number. Try to find some reason why that problem case cannot occur based on the conditions given in the question. If this is non-obvious, the question will often ask you to show a preliminary step (as with question 9 and showing that x\sin{\alpha} \geq d\sin{\beta}) which will then need to be applied later on. The STEP examiners have been writing the 2018 papers since at least 2016, and have thought very carefully about how to lead very talented mathematicians to the answers.
Cai Jianlin
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I have got about 80-85, what grade should I have?
mikelbird
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Question 10 of paper 1
Attached files
KingCrepe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Cai Jianlin)
I have got about 80-85, what grade should I have?
Cai Jianlin
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by KingCrepe)
thx, I dun think I can have an S in this paper
I hate maths
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Step 2 question 5 (if there are mistakes let me know)

Edit: corrected a grammatical thing and a missing minus sign.
Attached files
I hate maths
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Step 2 question 2 (if there are mistakes let me know)

I might do the sketch for the stem of the question later if I'm feeling it. Edit: sketch is here, and thank you A02 for making a suggestion which reduces workload in part i.

Sketch:
Spoiler:
Show

Commentary on the sketch:
Spoiler:
Show

Hopefully you can see that f(x) is concave when the "y-coordinate" of Y  \geqslant "y-coordinate" of X. A small amount of algebra leads to the desired inequality.

Also, f''(x)<0 for a<x<b means the gradient of f(x) is decreasing for a<x<b, meaning it is concave over a<x<b.
Attached files
zeldor711
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I'll probably put on Q4 when I get home, maybe Q8 as well and Q1 if by some chance no one has done it.
Oskarrrrrrr
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by zeldor711)
I'll probably put on Q4 when I get home, maybe Q8 as well and Q1 if by some chance no one has done it.
I was gonna put up q1 but if you are I’ll drop q8 the differential eq
Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by Oskarrrrrrr)
I'm just about to post Q8
zeldor711
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Oskarrrrrrr)
Nah, its fine, put up whatever you want to. Maybe I'll do question 9 if I can figure out what I did wrong.
Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
STEP II, Question 8

i) Let v = \sqrt{y} so that \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{dv}{dy} \frac{dy}{dt} \implies \frac{dy}{dt} = 2\sqrt{y}\frac{dv}{dt} and the DE becomes

\displaystyle

\begin{equation*}2v \frac{dv}{dt} = \alpha v - \beta v^2  \iff \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{1}{2}(\alpha - \beta v) \iff \log(\alpha-\beta v) = c-\frac{\beta t}{2}\end{equation*}

Hence \displaystyle \alpha-\beta v = \alpha\exp\left(-\frac{\beta t}{2}\right) after imposing boundary conditions and so we get \displaystyle y = \left(\frac{\alpha}{\beta}\right  )^2\left(1-\exp\left(-\frac{\beta t}{2}\right)\right)^2

ii) Sub in v = y^{1/3} so that you get

\displaystyle 

\begin{equation*}3v^2 \frac{dv}{dt} = \alpha v^2 - \beta v^3 \iff 3 \frac{dv}{dt} = \alpha - \beta v\end{equation*}

and so we get

\displaystyle 

\begin{equation*}y = \left(\frac{\alpha}{\beta}\right  )^3 \left(1-\exp\left(-\frac{\beta t}{3}\right)\right)^3\end{equati  on*}

iii) Check Desmos. They should both intersect at 0, and some easy size analysis of the exponential for various values of t will get you the graph. (y1 > y2 for t > 0)
Oskarrrrrrr
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Zacken)
I'm just about to post Q8
Okay wicked you post yours then I’ll put mine up too I had quite a funky method for the graphing ! Best of luck with results
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (338)
30.53%
The paper was reasonable (445)
40.2%
Not feeling great about that exam... (190)
17.16%
It was TERRIBLE (134)
12.1%

Watched Threads