OCR Additional Maths or AQA Further Maths Watch

FlyFeathers
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m in year 10 and I’ve just finished my gcse maths exams and probably getting a 8/9 ( I got 98% in my mocks and found the exam relatively easy.) I personally wanted to possibly start some A level modules but I just got told that’s not possible. My teacher then offered me to either do Additional Maths(FSMQ) next year or Further Maths. He also said I can choose to have free periods instead if i don’t want to do either. Other subjects have been manageable for me ( Predicted 4a* 4a 2b) and I’m interested to continue doing maths next year. If I want to prepare myself for a level maths and further maths, which one should I choose? Also, if anyone have done either of them, do you mind sharing your experience?
jamesgillian123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
id recommend aqa purely due to more resources available, there isnt many resources for ocr in general
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
OCR 100%.
The OCR course is a level 3 course, which really helps to bridge the gap between GCSE and A level, really builds on the key skills you need for A level. For context, I did additional maths last year (at the same time as GCSE) and this year pretty much the only bit of completely new pure content was logarithms. Some of the mechanics we'd also done in it as well.
AQA is a level 2 qualification. It will help to stretch your knowledge beyond GCSE, and there are some definite good things in there such as matrices (which are in AS further maths). However I don't believe it goes anything like as far into the A level content. AQA is also 2 exams compared to OCR's one which is good for revision time
I believe both are starting a new specification next year so there will be changes, but I think what I've said remains broadly true If you have any questions about OCR's course feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer
kristewart
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did Additional Maths and I do Maths/Futher Maths at A level.

I'm still doing the old Maths A level so I don't know how well this translates to the new one, but Additional Maths basically taught everything I needed to know for C1 and C2 and so when I started A level Maths/Further Maths, we ended up just reviewing those modules for two weeks and then moving on because no one really needed to be taught it.
There's a bit of overlap with C3, C4, D1, S1 and M1 in Additional Maths, but that's only for a few small topics, and it's not as comprehensive as it was with C1 and C2, but tbh I still found that little bit helped when I did those modules.
FlyFeathers
Rep:
?
My teacher talked to me more about it today, and he said he’ll be able to let me do both GCSE statistics and the AQA further maths next year and he recommended me to do them as there are more resources for both of them and it’s better for me according to the teacher. Would it still be better to do the additional maths? Thanks for all the replies btw
FlyFeathers
Rep:
?
Also, I forgot to include that I will be changing schools for sixth form, I’m not sure if that changes anything but if I did additional maths, which covers part of C1 and C2, I would probably still have to go through lessons on them, but I’m not sure until I decide which school and subjects to take for sixth form.
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by FlyFeathers)
My teacher talked to me more about it today, and he said he’ll be able to let me do both GCSE statistics and the AQA further maths next year and he recommended me to do them as there are more resources for both of them and it’s better for me according to the teacher. Would it still be better to do the additional maths? Thanks for all the replies btw
I did GCSE stats and the OCR additional maths. I'd say that would be the best combination if you're allowed but otherwise probably go for the GCSE stats and further maths. The further maths will still help for A level, just not quite to the extent that additional maths would, and the stats is useful as well (although I'm a little bias as I absolutely love stats).
I've just checked and the further maths isn't actually a new specification for another year so there would be more resources, however the additional maths hasn't changed that much (all I noticed from my quick look through was that they'd added logarithms, which makes it very like the AS papers ) so the old specification resources would still be useful
It's a hard call really. The OCR would be better for A level prep, however you'd probably be bored in year 12 if you took it and the AQA will have more resources as it's not on a new specification.
FlyFeathers
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lemur14)
I did GCSE stats and the OCR additional maths. I'd say that would be the best combination if you're allowed but otherwise probably go for the GCSE stats and further maths. The further maths will still help for A level, just not quite to the extent that additional maths would, and the stats is useful as well (although I'm a little bias as I absolutely love stats).
I've just checked and the further maths isn't actually a new specification for another year so there would be more resources, however the additional maths hasn't changed that much (all I noticed from my quick look through was that they'd added logarithms, which makes it very like the AS papers ) so the old specification resources would still be useful
It's a hard call really. The OCR would be better for A level prep, however you'd probably be bored in year 12 if you took it and the AQA will have more resources as it's not on a new specification.
Thanks for the advices and recommendations! That was useful and I basically have an idea of what I want to do next year, I’ll just ask my teacher first if I can do add maths and statistics and if not, I’ll take further maths and statistics. Hopefully I can since I’m a overseas students and I find further maths rather easy by just looking at the specification and some of the papers.
Sophhhowa
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m taking the OCR FSMQ in a few days. It’s much more similar to the kinda thing you would do at A level. I’d definitely go for OCR as it’s much harder so will give you a better start for your A level. Sometimes it can be difficult at first but once you get it it’s great. Plus it’s a more respected qualification. AQA further maths GCSE is easy and v similar to the GCSE so you won’t gain much from doing it.
Sophhhowa
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Also with resources OCR contains the same stuff as most A levels will so I just use A level resources and it hasn’t been a problem at all. Don’t let the availability of resources put you off especially for maths. Maths is maths, it’s all the same it doesn’t matter what board etc
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by FlyFeathers)
Thanks for the advices and recommendations! That was useful and I basically have an idea of what I want to do next year, I’ll just ask my teacher first if I can do add maths and statistics and if not, I’ll take further maths and statistics. Hopefully I can since I’m a overseas students and I find further maths rather easy by just looking at the specification and some of the papers.
No problem Glad it helped!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (157)
60.62%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.25%
No- I want it (73)
28.19%
No- I don't want it (18)