The Student Room Group

Worried I might get a speeding ticket

Was driving to my volunteering place today and I made the stupid mistake of speeding up at the limit change from 30 to 60, so that at the exact moment I went through the signs, I was probably at about 40 ish.

They had 2 monitor strips on the ground down directly at the limit signs, and then 100 yards up the road I went past a police van, and an officer was going back into the cab from standing behind watching the traffic (was he going in to record my speed from the strips?!)

Am I going to get a speeding ticket for it?
Is it normal to lay down speed traps directly over limit changes?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by XMaramena
Was driving to my volunteering place today and I made the stupid mistake of speeding up at the limit change from 30 to 60, so that at the exact moment I went through the signs, I was probably at about 40 ish.

They had 2 monitor strips on the ground down directly at the limit signs, and then 100 yards up the road I went past a police van, and an officer was going back into the cab from standing behind watching the traffic (was he going in to record my speed from the strips?!)

Am I going to get a speeding ticket for it?
Is it normal to lay down speed traps directly over limit changes?

What sort of strips..?
Reply 2
Original post by IWMTom
What sort of strips..?

Like, black rubber-enclosed wires on the ground about 2ft apart. Pressure pads basically measuring the time between contact of the first pad and the second.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Like, black rubber-enclosed wires on the ground about 2ft apart. Pressure pads basically measuring the time between contact of the first pad and the second.

They're usually for traffic flow monitoring to plan ahead for roadworks. They're not speed traps.
Reply 4
In general, have you known speed monitoring to take place at limit changes? I always thought there would be like 20m of leeway either side to blend...
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
In general, have you known speed monitoring to take place at limit changes? I always thought there would be like 20m of leeway either side to blend...

Yep.

Your speed wasn't being monitored, though.
lol OP how long have you been driving?

Everyone does this and the police have more important things to be getting on with.
The limit changes at the sign, not before.

As has been said, the strips were for traffic monitoring.
Reply 8
Original post by TimmonaPortella
lol OP how long have you been driving?

Everyone does this and the police have more important things to be getting on with.

2 1/2 Years 😂. Just got worried because the bobby was fiddling with his clipboard and heading back into his van just in time for recording my speed
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Was it a safety partnership van? Did it have black windows on the back with one/both open? Did it have big speed camera signs all over it? Did it look anything like this?

speed.jpg

If so, you should be slightly more concerned. 40mph on the speedo means anywhere from 35mph to 40mph actual speed. Guidelines for an NIP kick in at 35mph and above in a 30 zone, and although people "say" that they prosecute even for 1mph over the speed limit, it never really happens. You could get away with it.

Wait 2 weeks and you'll find out, but don't worry about it. Worst case is a speed awareness course really, unless you county doesn't do them.

If it was a normal bog standard police van, you don't have to worry however, unless he had a laser and was doing the speed checks himself. And yeah, police love to put speed cameras where the limit changes. I wonder why...
2 1/2 Years 😂. Just got worried because the bobby was fiddling with his clipboard and heading back into his van just in time for recording my speed

I'd be surprised.

The truth is that, generally, there's very little enforcement on the roads, and, when there are police around, unless they've been specifically posted to hunt for traffic offences, they can't be bothered with minor, everyday infringements. If you're being properly silly they'll stop you, but otherwise they'll just get on with their day. That's been my experience, anyway.

I really wouldn't lose any sleep. You'll have peace of mind in two weeks, anyway.

Original post by maeger
And yeah, police love to put speed cameras where the limit changes. I wonder why...

To be fair they also paint the speed cameras bright yellow and put lines all over the road, so you shouldn't be taken by surprise by them.

(Also, loads of them aren't even active. If somehow you totally forget your surroundings and whizz past a speed camera at 50 in a 30, the odds are still that nothing will happen. Unless it's one of the digital ones.)
Reply 11
Original post by maeger
Was it a safety partnership van? Did it have black windows on the back with one/both open? Did it have big speed camera signs all over it? Did it look anything like this?

speed.jpg

If so, you should be slightly more concerned. 40mph on the speedo means anywhere from 35mph to 40mph actual speed. Guidelines for an NIP kick in at 35mph and above in a 30 zone, and although people "say" that they prosecute even for 1mph over the speed limit, it never really happens. You could get away with it.

Wait 2 weeks and you'll find out, but don't worry about it. Worst case is a speed awareness course really, unless you county doesn't do them.

If it was a normal bog standard police van, you don't have to worry however, unless he had a laser and was doing the speed checks himself. And yeah, police love to put speed cameras where the limit changes. I wonder why...

It was a van exactly like that yeah, except with blue light bars instead of amber.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 12
I suppose it’s probably the most ironic post. Since I complained about speeding in the village. But that was about cars doing 70-90 through our high street when it’s a 30 zone. My fault for accelerating out of it 3 seconds early. Shame on me.
You're fine, but for the record, it's a limit, not a target, you don't have to instantly floor it.
Reply 14
OP has basically just clarified that is was most likely a speed van. The lines on the road have nothing to do with it, just a coincidence. Whether OP gets a ticket depends on the following factors:

Was the van pointing onto your side of the road? Where the rear windows of the van pointing towards your car? Where the rear windows open (windows need to be opened for speed readings to be taken)?
What part of the UK are you from too? Most speed partnerships allow the public to know the location of their speed enforcement cameras. If so, you should be able to find their website, and check the area for a marked speed van on their map.
However, the most crucial thing you've said was the speed van was 100 yards up the road from the speed limit change. Unless the road was dead straight, I don't think the van would have been capable of reading your speed when you passed the speed limit change (please remember, the lines on the road having nothing to do with the speed van!).

Wait 2 weeks, I've been in this situation before twice and never heard anything, if that makes you feel any better.
Just dont pay the fine
Reply 16
Original post by kunoichinin
Just dont pay the fine

I honestly think that this is quite possibly the stupidest reply I've ever seen on TSR this year..
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by IWMTom
honestly

I honestly think that this is quite possibly the stupidest reply I've ever seen on TSR this year..

I could look on this page of threads alone and top that.

Sorry to be that guy.

But it ranks highly. I still think the bloke telling people to unplug their blackbox is the stupidest reply of the year. Why do we not have actual awards for this?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by nevershear
I could look on this page of threads alone and top that.

Sorry to be that guy.

But it ranks highly. I still think the bloke telling people to unplug their blackbox is the stupidest reply of the year. Why do we not have actual awards for this?

The CT would never sanction Darwin awards for users :laugh:
Reply 19
Funnily enough, not paying, well not "signing" the NIP but sending it back to the police stills work in Scotland. Some stupid get out clause they haven't fixed.

Quick Reply

Latest