Are six Highers too much?

Watch this thread
g131999
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
My parents, psychiatrist and CPN are trying to say that six highers are too much stress. However, they don't know better than myself about how I will respond to it. Has anyone else ever taken on six highers without being majorly stressed out? My argument is that in university, you have to take on a much larger workload than you would with six highers and thus are better getting used to it sooner rather than later.
The Scotfather
Badges: 18
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by g131999)
My parents, psychiatrist and CPN are trying to say that six highers are too much stress. However, they don't know better than myself about how I will respond to it. Has anyone else ever taken on six highers without being majorly stressed out? My argument is that in university, you have to take on a much larger workload than you would with six highers and thus are better getting used to it sooner rather than later.
What highers are you going to take? And it doesn't necessarily mean it could be harder it all depends. I believe you can look up the credits on each higher and how many add up to 120 is equivilent to the workload of uni but it also depends on the difficulty and how you perceive it. I was told by my lecturers that 1 credit is equal to 10 hours of work(lectures or studying).
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hey, moved this to Scottish Qualifications :fyi:
You say that but do you think you could cope? Do you know anyone in a similar situation? It may be worth asking?
I am going to tag Labrador99 as they probably know more about this sort of stuff than I do :laugh:
Hope this helps,
Cheese
The Scotfather
Badges: 18
Report 3 years ago
Following on from my previous post 1 SQA Higher is 24 credits. So if your doing 6 subjects it should be around 144 in theory but in real life it takes longer to understand concepts at university level for me. I'd think 5 would be enough but do it if need be.
AR73Z
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I took six highers this year- it definitely depends on what subjects they are and your ability to cope with the demands of each one.

I did Higher English, Maths, Chemistry, Human Biology, Modern Studies and Music.
My reason to do six was because I do so much music outwith school that I felt it would be an additional higher with reduced pressure.
(Higher Music is around Grade 4 standard whereas I'm currently sitting Grade 7/8 this year outwith school)

For this reason, I didn't find it as stressful to do the six in one year, but other friends I have that did so with other subjects found it extremely hard, especially with certain subjects having lots of coursework due at the same times. Also, unis don't specifically require six in one year so it could be lots of extra stress for something that might not be accredited much once you leave school, which is such a shame for you if you put so much hard work in!

Hope this is helpful and always here if you need anything else!
ellie1964
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hey!

I did 5 Highers this year, as did most of my year group. I only know one person who did 6 and they managed to do it because they work non-stop. Only take 6 if you’re really serious about it and can cope with a high workload. Don’t make things harder on yourself in 5th year - 5 Highers is already a lot and you want to enjoy yourself and actually have time to breathe and not think about work. No university will ask for 6, they only really want 4. You can always pick up more in 6th year if you want!
Qwertvbnm123
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Depends what highers you wish to take. Simply avoid trying to mix sciences with essay subjects too much as they have limited skill crossover

Last year I took 5 subjects and could definitely have managed another; but, if I were to do it all over again, I'd have picked the exact same. Universities will obviously favour someone with 6 Highers, but not by much... they are much more interested in the RELEVANT grades you have achieved in relation to the course you apply to.
g131999
Rep:
I am going to be studying Higher: Biology, Chemistry, Communication & Literature, Human Biology, Maths and Psychology. My thinking is that Communication & Literature will not be as difficult for me as English, Human Biology and Biology have a lot of overlap and I'm very skilled at composing essays. I also find a lot of the subjects I have chosen relatively easy. I'm going to college to study (I'm 18), as I missed two years of education due to illness.
hydroxide
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I am going to be studying Higher: Biology, Chemistry, Communication & Literature, Human Biology, Maths and Psychology. My thinking is that Communication & Literature will not be as difficult for me as English, Human Biology and Biology have a lot of overlap and I'm very skilled at composing essays. I also find a lot of the subjects I have chosen relatively easy. I'm going to college to study (I'm 18), as I missed two years of education due to illness.
There's not really a point in taking both Human Biology and regular Biology, universities view that as the same Higher - you should probably just choose one or the other
And yes I would agree that the subjects chosen are relatively easy

(I did six Highers last year)
leavemeblank
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Did 6 Highers last year, pretty mixed and now I reflect upon it yeah it looks good on CVs but I'm not sure if it was worth it? As all your subjects are similar, yes, you wont be mixing skills too much but it is still a heavy work load and does come with a lot of stress. If you haven't sat any equivalent qualifications before you may under-appreciate the stress associated with doing so many qualifications simultaneously. Easy to you or not, Higher is a big jump from N5 in most subjects! I definitely wish last year I had a bit more 'breathing' time, hence why I'm only sitting 3 this year - a higher is equivalent to about 240 hours of effort according to SQA, do you feel you can put this in? If you did nat 5's and got straight A's you'd be more than able as long as you're okay with the stress. But if you feel confident in yourself, go for it!
animalmagic
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Much better to get higher grades in 5 subjects than attempting 6 subjects and achieving lower grades. I agree with hydroxide, there is no point in taking both biology and human biology, the universities tend to only count one of them.
g131999
Rep:
The thing is, I'm studying Human Biology and Biology because I genuinely find both interesting. If the times overlap, Human Biology is the first subject I'm going to drop.
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
Hey, moved this to Scottish Qualifications

You say that but do you think you could cope? Do you know anyone in a similar situation? It may be worth asking?

I am going to tag @Labrador99 as they probably know more about this sort of stuff than I do

Hope this helps,

Cheese
Thanks Cheese :hugs:

I'm not dead for or against people doing 6 highers- I did 6, but it depends on the reason and the person. For example, in my case, it took the pressure off my English grade, which I was worried about (English was compulsory). It's difficult to say whether you'd be able to do it or not, but I don't think that the preparation for the workload at uni is really a compelling reason to do it. You'd be better off spending the time doing extracurricular stuff to improve your application.

With your subject choices, as others have said, there is literally no point in you doing both biology and human biology- you are just signing yourself up for 2 exams in the same day (based on the last few years of SQA timetables), for no benefit to any uni application, as they will not count them as 2 subjects. You should just choose one and you can use the time you would have spent doing the other doing an online course (on a website like futurelearn or similar) or further reading around the subject.

Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (121)
41.58%
Not yet, but I will soon (54)
18.56%
No (116)
39.86%

Watched Threads