The Student Room Group

Scared of failing university 😩

Hiya. So recently I have been studying a top up year in dance. We have been doing hip hop and house which isn’t me. I’m currently a dancer who does ballet, jazz, tap, musical theatre etc.. I studied the top up year because it was a top up course close to home due to my aniexty. I have previously performed abroad, have done teaching and in my old uni I was getting distinctions and merits. But at this new uni it has been completely the opposite i’ve Been getting thirds and 2:2’s the best would be a 2:1 and i’ve Been getting really upset about it as I have tried so hard and spent so much time in trying to pass. Anyway the bottom line of it is I failed my hip hop exam due to it being free styling. I wasn’t the only person to fail. But every time I went uni I felt like I never fitted in, I was so scared to go in all the time even though my attendance was good, I was so crippled up. I felt like my teachers were never supportive of me and it was hard to book tutorials. In actual fact when they told me I failed they recorded me in an interview and tried intimidating me? Asking so what are you going to do after uni? You do know hip hop happens on the street you know not just in theatres. Like I was stupid. And starting saying I was always tense so I stuck up for myself and said that’s something personal and not just my dancing. Anyway a couple of weeks ago apparently someone who failed the course as well made a complaint on social media about the teacher which was quite personal to the point she could have lost her job. But she messaged me saying I could resist the assessment 1 minute choreography and 1 minute freestyle which would be so better for me and now she has gone back on her word I said I have been informed by the assessment team you might not need to retake the module. Now my aniexty is ticking off just waiting. I do think one minute i’ve Passed and then the next minute i’m Doubting i am failing. The truth is i’m on holiday in Vegas for 10 days when I need to respond to this. I really don’t want this to turn into a down situation on my holiday or in general in day to day life. I haven’t even hired my graduation hire or brought tickets yet which I need to by next week just in case I have failed. Can someone please help my aniexty? If I do fail I might just have to appeal but I feel as my aniexty has effected my whole life recently with my driving as well. Eventually I passed but sheer determination. But everything it going wrong and i’m not working atm and was in January but struggling for money now as I sacrificed in for uni. Many thanks.😊
I'm really sorry but I'm not quite clear on what you're asking for advice on! If you've had problems with specific lecturers, or you're currently worried about your assessment situation, it might be worth speaking to someone from your SU, as they might be able to support you in navigating retakes etc.

It does sound like there is some miscommunication going on- perhaps it would be best to confirm everything in writing, email would be fine. So each time you have a meeting, afterwards, email the relevant person confirming what was discussed/agreed. This should help give you some clarity. In fact, it might be a good idea to email now, asking whether or not you retake and when this retake will be. If the retake clashes with your holiday, unfortunately, you may just have to suck it up and change dates or cancel- this sucks, but it's also why it's not always a good idea to book holidays in this period.

If you've failed one assessment, will this definitely prevent you from graduating?

Are you getting help for you anxiety? It does sound like this is making everything worse. If you're not, please consider contacting student support or your GP.

Finally, please don't get drawn into commenting on lecturers on social media- this can lead to serious disciplinary consequences. Even if you don't like them personally, try to behave politely and professionally towards them!
Reply 2
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I'm really sorry but I'm not quite clear on what you're asking for advice on! If you've had problems with specific lecturers, or you're currently worried about your assessment situation, it might be worth speaking to someone from your SU, as they might be able to support you in navigating retakes etc.

It does sound like there is some miscommunication going on- perhaps it would be best to confirm everything in writing, email would be fine. So each time you have a meeting, afterwards, email the relevant person confirming what was discussed/agreed. This should help give you some clarity. In fact, it might be a good idea to email now, asking whether or not you retake and when this retake will be. If the retake clashes with your holiday, unfortunately, you may just have to suck it up and change dates or cancel- this sucks, but it's also why it's not always a good idea to book holidays in this period.

If you've failed one assessment, will this definitely prevent you from graduating?

Are you getting help for you anxiety? It does sound like this is making everything worse. If you're not, please consider contacting student support or your GP.

Finally, please don't get drawn into commenting on lecturers on social media- this can lead to serious disciplinary consequences. Even if you don't like them personally, try to behave politely and professionally towards them!

the retake isn’t due to the 2nd July if I do so I don’t have to cancel my holiday, but hopefully the case is I’ve passed and not failed i’m Basically just waiting for results which comes out day of my holiday.
Original post by Dance18
the retake isn’t due to the 2nd July if I do so I don’t have to cancel my holiday, but hopefully the case is I’ve passed and not failed i’m Basically just waiting for results which comes out day of my holiday.

Well obviously waiting for results is no fun- but presumably you knew about the dates when you booked your holiday? I'm sure you'll have a great time regardless, so try not to stress too much.
Reply 4
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Well obviously waiting for results is no fun- but presumably you knew about the dates when you booked your holiday? I'm sure you'll have a great time regardless, so try not to stress too much.

Nope I finished uni in May. They emailed me after when to resit which is fine 2nd July I’m back before then, I have all the time in world i just need to record myself dancing at home. But yeah it’s just the not knowing Why a teacher might messaged me that I don’t need to retake my exam is making me nervous if I have passed or failed and it comes out online Monday when i’m Away so that’s what I mean l i don’t want it to ruin my holiday but I can’t think of anything I have done wrong opposed to failing that freestyle exam.
Original post by Dance18
Nope I finished uni in May. They emailed me after when to resit which is fine 2nd July I’m back before then, I have all the time in world i just need to record myself dancing at home. But yeah it’s just the not knowing Why a teacher might messaged me that I don’t need to retake my exam is making me nervous if I have passed or failed and it comes out online Monday when i’m Away so that’s what I mean l i don’t want it to ruin my holiday but I can’t think of anything I have done wrong opposed to failing that freestyle exam.

You're probably best emailing your teacher and asking for clarification- people on this forum can only guess.

Quick Reply

Latest