Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Im new here, been reading a lot and have a question.
    I am 43 and have always been good at practical stuff, love taking things apart and fixing them cars, motorbikes etc. I started studying way back when I was 18 and as my head wasnt in the right place at that time I dropped out after trying a year of Electronic then swapping to Mechanical and doing even less of that. I've worked in different jobs and none have satisfied me very well as they haven't made best use of my skill set. I have thought long and hard about what I might do and have gone full circle back to what I never finished....study. I like both the Electrical and the Mechanical side of things, however I hear Mechanical Engineering is more practical which suits me a bit more.

What are the job prospects like for someone in their late 40s coming out with a degree in engineering? I'm not sure what job I would like to do with the degree yet, but I'm worried it may be whatever job I can actually get rather than what job I want to choose.

Ian
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Do you have a job/sort of job in mind that you'd want when graduating?

When you approach unis about your course, you can ask them about things like graduate employment prospects- often they will be happy to be quite specific about what there students do after graduating. This is a major selling point for many courses.

If you've got a specific job in mind, you could ask at open days about what might be the right course for this job. You could also see if you know anyone who knows someone with this type of job and ask them how they got to where they are now.

ReputationRep:
    That's a very good point, Im not sure exactly what I want to do with it. I would love to work in the automotive industry in some capacity, but want to keep an open mind. I think that to study for a few years any ideas for job type may well change during a prospective course.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 14, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.