The Student Room Group

Not sure if Uni is a good idea?

Hey - I'm a 19 year old guy currently in a Level 4 I.T Professional apprenticeship. But I've realised that maybe this career just... Isn't my speed? I'm passing it fine and I know I can get a nice career out of this but, it just feels like I don't have a future where I am now. I'm not meeting anyone my age doing the same stuff (or even different stuff, everyone I meet is like 10-20 years older than me), not making any contacts, essentially only learning 'what is needed for the current time' at work, and to be honest I just don't find what I'm doing now 'rewarding'. I dunno, but I know it isn't too late for University.

I've been thinking about looking into some courses (not exactly sure WHAT yet, thinking maybe computer science, programming, etc) for university but... Is it really a good idea? I know nothing about University, and I'm scared of the amount of debt it will put me in. I'm also fairly confident that a get-away from home for a year (or more) would be good for me, personally, mentally. Can someone give me some advice on this? Sorry if there's a lack of information, please ask me questions about it! I will answer!
Original post by jammydodgems
Hey - I'm a 19 year old guy currently in a Level 4 I.T Professional apprenticeship. But I've realised that maybe this career just... Isn't my speed? I'm passing it fine and I know I can get a nice career out of this but, it just feels like I don't have a future where I am now. I'm not meeting anyone my age doing the same stuff (or even different stuff, everyone I meet is like 10-20 years older than me), not making any contacts, essentially only learning 'what is needed for the current time' at work, and to be honest I just don't find what I'm doing now 'rewarding'. I dunno, but I know it isn't too late for University.

I've been thinking about looking into some courses (not exactly sure WHAT yet, thinking maybe computer science, programming, etc) for university but... Is it really a good idea? I know nothing about University, and I'm scared of the amount of debt it will put me in. I'm also fairly confident that a get-away from home for a year (or more) would be good for me, personally, mentally. Can someone give me some advice on this? Sorry if there's a lack of information, please ask me questions about it! I will answer!

University can be the best thing for you, if you're suited to it. For some people university just doesn't work out, and that's fine. For others they absolutely thrive in that environment.

Before you make any firm decisions about what you want to do, do some research first. TSR has loads of articles about university and university life. I recommend having a read through those because they involve things real students have said about their time at university.

University for most courses is a set amount of lectures/workshops/seminars per week, and then the rest of the time you aren't in a timetabled session, you're doing your own independent work. Whether that's doing assignments you've been set or doing your own reading, you need to be doing a large chunk independently. University is very much "here's the basics, now you do it in more detail". If you're willing to put in the effort required, then you'll be absolutely fine.

As for the debt, chuck that thought out your mind right now. Don't think of it like a debt - it's more of a student tax. I recommend researching what Martin Lewis (the moneysavingexpert guy) says about it, because he clears up so many misconceptions about loans and repayments. Basically, you will only pay back 9% of what you earn, when you earn over £25k. If you earn under that, you pay nothing. If you earn more than that, but then your income drops and you earn less, then you stop repaying. It also gets wiped after 30 years. So the more you earn, the more you pay. However, it's not a debt and it won't stop you getting a mortgage or anything like that. It's a tax. It comes out of your account like your phone bill does, for example. You won't even notice it most of the time. Please don't be afraid about the money because it's really not something to be concerned about, at all.

As for the getting away from home, I can totally vouch for this. I moved 200 miles away for university (I'm just finished my first year) and I loved being away from home! I don't get homesick, so as long as I had my possessions to make it feel like home, I was fine. I gained so much confidence, became much more self-supportive and less of a push over. At home I would have my dad there to defend me if anything got difficult, yet at university I was on my own. It was so good for me to get away from home and, for lack of a better word, grow up a bit and face the real world.

Take some time to research the courses you might possibly want to do, read those articles on TSR and take your time making this decision. Only you can know if it's right for you. Good luck!
Thank you @DrawTheLine!!!! Incredibly thankful for such a detailed response, needed to read something like that! I'll stick around on the forum for a while as I think it may be too late now (with the Summer on the way) to apply, but I'll be needing to finish my apprenticeship anyway yet. Certainly a bit more catered towards it now though :biggrin:
Thank you @DrawTheLine!!!! Incredibly thankful for such a detailed response, needed to read something like that! I'll stick around on the forum for a while as I think it may be too late now (with the Summer on the way) to apply, but I'll be needing to finish my apprenticeship anyway yet. Certainly a bit more catered towards it now though :biggrin:

You can always apply for 2019 entry when applications open, sometime in September. Definitely stick around here and ask any questions you have. There's also forums for all the different universities and courses, so you can ask current students at those unis and on those courses for really detailed responses if you need them.

Hi @jammydodgems

Lots of people are uncertain about going to University. I myself was also uncertain about going to University. After leaving Sixth form I had a place to study at a University close to where I studied for school and sixth form. Following being offered a excellent job that would fast track me up the career ladder I very quickly turned this down. After 9 months in the job I decided I wanted to go to Uni and two years down the line it was the best decision I ever made.

I have just finished my second year at Derby, and could not be happier. Derby has been a great learning experience and has not only allowed me to further my education, it has also allowed me to grow and develop as an individual.

If you are considering going to Uni, take some time and complete your research. Attend Open Days, this will allow you to get a feel for the University, the courses on offer and the City itself. Don't forget to order prospectus too. Also don't worry about the debt, you pay it off it such small amounts it is unnoticeable and you don't start paying till you earn over a certain amount.

If you have any questions about the application process, or Derby University let us know.

Callum :smile:
Original post by University of Derby
Hi @jammydodgems

Lots of people are uncertain about going to University. I myself was also uncertain about going to University. After leaving Sixth form I had a place to study at a University close to where I studied for school and sixth form. Following being offered a excellent job that would fast track me up the career ladder I very quickly turned this down. After 9 months in the job I decided I wanted to go to Uni and two years down the line it was the best decision I ever made.

I have just finished my second year at Derby, and could not be happier. Derby has been a great learning experience and has not only allowed me to further my education, it has also allowed me to grow and develop as an individual.

If you are considering going to Uni, take some time and complete your research. Attend Open Days, this will allow you to get a feel for the University, the courses on offer and the City itself. Don't forget to order prospectus too. Also don't worry about the debt, you pay it off it such small amounts it is unnoticeable and you don't start paying till you earn over a certain amount.

If you have any questions about the application process, or Derby University let us know.

Callum :smile:

Hey Callum, thanks for the response... Sounds like you've head down a somewhat similar road to mine in some respects there! Thank you for the links and information, will bare it in mind when I look into it a bit more :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending