The Student Room Group

Bipolar ruining my life

//
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by g131999
It's still somehow managing to ruin my life, even when I'm stable. I'm constantly accused of being 'a bit high' or 'a bit low' and told I cannot do XYZ because of my Bipolar. I'm not allowed to go on holiday without my parents. I'm not allowed access to my own savings (of which my parents saved from my own PIP from 16-18) even though they are mine. I'm not allowed to go on dates without being treated with suspicion (they think I'm just meeting for sex). I go to the beach and my shoes get a little wet and they accuse me of going in the water. I go out to meet friends and they interrogate me about it and accuse me of sleeping around. When I'm happy/sad in a normal way, I'm automatically 'a bit high' or 'a bit low'. If I say a new idea, I'm automatically not thinking rationally. My illness has made my already smothering and controlling parents absolutely unbearable to live with. The way my dad treats me makes me want to whack him with a baseball bat sometimes. My mental health team are continuously telling me what I should and shouldn't do. I'm not supposed to take on 6 highers. I'm not supposed to get a job at the same time. I can cope with my mental health team's interference more so than my parents. It's making my life an absolute misery even when I'm stable and I really can't cope anymore. Any advice?

Could you ask your mental health team to speak to your parents to educate them more about your illness? Often parents react the way they do because they simply just don't know enough about the condition their child has.
Reply 2
Original post by DrawTheLine
Could you ask your mental health team to speak to your parents to educate them more about your illness? Often parents react the way they do because they simply just don't know enough about the condition their child has.

The scary thing is, they've read books and watched documentaries on it. They're almost obessessed with my illness and there isn't a day where it isn't mentioned. They're abnormal and I intend to move out soon.
Original post by g131999
The scary thing is, they've read books and watched documentaries on it. They're almost obessessed with my illness and there isn't a day where it isn't mentioned. They're abnormal and I intend to move out soon.

In which case, see if your team could talk to them to get them to cool down? They might think it's helping you to keep so obsessed about it and not realise that they need to chill and let it go a bit. good luck with moving out and I hope it gets better for you.
Reply 4
Original post by g131999
It's still somehow managing to ruin my life, even when I'm stable. I'm constantly accused of being 'a bit high' or 'a bit low' and told I cannot do XYZ because of my Bipolar. I'm not allowed to go on holiday without my parents. I'm not allowed access to my own savings (of which my parents saved from my own PIP from 16-18) even though they are mine. I'm not allowed to go on dates without being treated with suspicion (they think I'm just meeting for sex). I go to the beach and my shoes get a little wet and they accuse me of going in the water. I go out to meet friends and they interrogate me about it and accuse me of sleeping around. When I'm happy/sad in a normal way, I'm automatically 'a bit high' or 'a bit low'. If I say a new idea, I'm automatically not thinking rationally. My illness has made my already smothering and controlling parents absolutely unbearable to live with. The way my dad treats me makes me want to whack him with a baseball bat sometimes. My mental health team are continuously telling me what I should and shouldn't do. I'm not supposed to take on 6 highers. I'm not supposed to get a job at the same time. I can cope with my mental health team's interference more so than my parents. It's making my life an absolute misery even when I'm stable and I really can't cope anymore. Any advice?

It's not bipolar ruining your life, it's your toxic parents.
Original post by g131999

This sounds a lot! Just wondering when u have Bi polar disorder what happens do u take risks with spending? Because it’s not just your parents telling u ur ill or making u think that? It seems they accuse u of normal things which annoys me!!!! Making out like having Bi polar disorder means u can’t have sex or go in the water?! They just accused u or doing normal stuff. I think u should pursue your dreams! Bi polar will not beat you! Do u parents have problems with u having sex or a boyfriend? What are they scared of? Sorry if getting mad but the injustice! I have a person I know who has a similar problem! She thinks she’s bi polar but doesn’t do any Bi polar things I don’t think? It’s hard to tell.

Quick Reply

Latest