Studying in Edinburgh and living in Glasgow - is it possible?

Watch
username3704784
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello!
So my boyfriend and I have been admitted to Msc at uni in Scotland, myself in Glasgow and him in Edinburgh. We've been thinking living together though, as we already do, but we're afraid of the transport costs of commuting between the two cities. After all, one of us will have to commute to the other city, and I really want to hear opinions if this is a crazy idea, and if it would be possible to do this while also having a part time job.

In this regard I'm wondering -
- which means of transport is cheaper for students (and if they have discounts), and faster?
- is it more preferably to get a car as soon as possible for commuting?
- how many course days are usually in a Msc time table? Are courses held daily?
Thank you in advance!
DeerreeD
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I live in a town 11 miles east of Glasgow and on the Bathgate line between GL-QS and EDI-W (for perspective) and commute to Glasgow for work daily, my monthly train ticket is £98.

I had a check and a monthly ticket from Glasgow to Edinburgh is £380. To me this seems a little steep, maybe you could choose somewhere in the middle of the two, and both of you commute? Or you both agree to split the monthly tickets for the person that has to commute?

City Link buses (GLA-EDI) seem to be £154.20 for a 4 week ticket (Apparently there is also a 20% student discount you can get)
I have never used this bus, but I think if you think you can manage the ~1hr 20m travel time each way then it could be viable.
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Lots of professional do this, but it's expensive and time-consuming. I don't know anyone who is 'happy' per se. You might be able to get some work done on the train, but almost certainly not on a bus.

Could you perhaps stagger the studying so you do your MSc this year in Glasgow while he works, then next year both move to Edinburgh while he does his?
The Scotfather
Badges: 18
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rocat312)
Hello!
So my boyfriend and I have been admitted to Msc at uni in Scotland, myself in Glasgow and him in Edinburgh. We've been thinking living together though, as we already do, but we're afraid of the transport costs of commuting between the two cities. After all, one of us will have to commute to the other city, and I really want to hear opinions if this is a crazy idea, and if it would be possible to do this while also having a part time job.

In this regard I'm wondering -
- which means of transport is cheaper for students (and if they have discounts), and faster?
- is it more preferably to get a car as soon as possible for commuting?
- how many course days are usually in a Msc time table? Are courses held daily?
Thank you in advance!
A family member of mine used to travel to Edinburgh for work but he said it was time consuming. If I were you and I was up for it I would get the bus as you may be able to get a student express ticket with stagecoach. If not a megarider could get you there quite cheap! There are also uniriders.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (48)
16.16%
I'm not sure (8)
2.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (101)
34.01%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.35%
I'm not a current university student (136)
45.79%

Watched Threads