The Student Room Group

Uber driver "kicks lesbian couple out of car for kissing"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Prasiortle
All of you making the argument that "it's his car" or "he's entitled to do it" are missing the point that by accepting the initial request on the Uber app, this driver formed a contract with the couple to provide them with a safe means of transportation to a specified destination. This contract, which is governed by the Uber Terms and Conditions, allows drivers to exclude passengers in emergency situations where their personal safety is at risk, but in the absence of any provision to the contrary, the driver cannot lawfully vitiate a binding contract (by refusing to transport the passengers to their destination) simply due to his personal feelings on homosexuality. Consequently, all of you making arguments about "discrimination" have also missed the point that there's a much easier and less controversial argument you can make in order to demonstrate that the driver acted unlawfully.

The driver violated Uber's terms of service. He was punished appropriately. End of story. I maintain that it was his right to kick them out, despite it being morally unacceptable.
Reply 41
All of you making the argument that "it's his car" or "he's entitled to do it" are missing the point that by accepting the initial request on the Uber app, this driver formed a contract with the couple to provide them with a safe means of transportation to a specified destination. This contract, which is governed by the Uber Terms and Conditions, allows drivers to exclude passengers in emergency situations where their personal safety is at risk, but in the absence of any provision to the contrary, the driver cannot lawfully vitiate a binding contract (by refusing to transport the passengers to their destination) simply due to his personal feelings on homosexuality. Consequently, all of you making arguments about "discrimination" have also missed the point that there's a much easier and less controversial argument you can make in order to demonstrate that the driver acted unlawfully.

did you accidentally quote me? nope, i didn't say the driver was entitled to do it. only thing i said was that Uber fired him in their own self interest to preserve their reputation.
Original post by 117240
The lesbo couple deserved it. What they don't deserve however is rights.

Please present an argument in support of your assertion. Otherwise, as Christopher Hitchens said, "that which can be asserted without evidence can be rejected without evidence".

Original post by Paracosm
I maintain that it was his right to kick them out

I already explained to you in the simplest possible terms why legally he does not have such a right. This is elementary contract law that has been applied by the courts in this country for over 800 years, and you cannot reject it.

Original post by Joleee
Uber fired him in their own self interest to preserve their reputation.

No, they fired him because he breached a contract, the Uber Terms and Conditions.
I already explained to you in the simplest possible terms why legally he does not have such a right. This is elementary contract law that has been applied by the courts in this country for over 800 years, and you cannot reject it.

I'm not going to argue with you tbh. Uber have taken the appropriate action, there is no issue here. My opinion remains unchanged and your way of going about trying to convince others that you are right is condescending and does not open opportunity for debate, which should be what you are aiming for. Presenting your argument with no room for debate, regardless of whether you are right or not, does not make me want to change my mind. Thanks for your comments :smile:
I'm not going to argue with you tbh. Uber have taken the appropriate action, there is no issue here. My opinion remains unchanged and your way of going about trying to convince others that you are right is condescending and does not open opportunity for debate, which should be what you are aiming for. Presenting your argument with no room for debate, regardless of whether you are right or not, does not make me want to change my mind. Thanks for your comments :smile:

Would you thus also say that there should be room for debate about facts like "the earth is round" or "2+2 = 4"? Elementary contract law falls in the same category, where it is sufficiently well-defined that there is no interpretation required - it's simply a matter of right or wrong. Not all opinions are equally valid and the language with which an argument is presented is irrelevant to the question of whether it is valid and sound, which is all that matters.
Reply 45
Please present an argument in support of your assertion. Otherwise, as Christopher Hitchens said, "that which can be asserted without evidence can be rejected without evidence".

No, they fired him because he breached a contract, the Uber Terms and Conditions.

You are just another leftie who seeks to push LGBT rights and so on. Feeding into the blame culture and opposing all opinions against yours - just as I am doing now apparently. I feel as if you lefties seek to argue just for the sake of doing so - so argue this, if this was truly an equal situation why does he have to accept them in his car, with the same rights that let them into the car, he had the equal right to remove them from it - it was his vehicle after all and if he deemed their actions disrespectful or uncomfortable then why can he not remove them (from his own vehicle).
His termination was purely a cop-out on Uber's behalf.
Would you thus also say that there should be room for debate about facts like "the earth is round" or "2+2 = 4"? Elementary contract law falls in the same category, where it is sufficiently well-defined that there is no interpretation required - it's simply a matter of right or wrong. Not all opinions are equally valid and the language with which an argument is presented is irrelevant to the question of whether it is valid and sound, which is all that matters.

Thanks again for your comments. My opinion remains unchanged and I take note of yours. :smile:
Original post by 117240
You are just another leftie who seeks to push LGBT rights and so on. Feeding into the blame culture and opposing all opinions against yours - just as I am doing now apparently. I feel as if you lefties seek to argue just for the sake of doing so - so argue this, if this was truly an equal situation why does he have to accept them in his car, with the same rights that let them into the car, he had the equal right to remove them from it - it was his vehicle after all and if he deemed their actions disrespectful or uncomfortable then why can he not remove them (from his own vehicle).
His termination was purely a cop-out on Uber's behalf.

I specifically said in post #40 that I reject the "discrimination" and "equality" arguments as irrelevant, meaning that we actually agree in that aspect. I'm speaking purely from a legal perspective, using simple contract law. When you make a contract, you impliedly revoke any prior right that you might have had to remove people from your vehicle.
Thanks again for your comments. My opinion remains unchanged and I take note of yours. :smile:

So you're one of those types. The next question is thus: do you care about whether or not your beliefs/opinions are true? If you do, then it's intellectually dishonest and troglodytic to acknowledge that they cannot logically be supported but yet to still accept the. If you don't, and that seems to be the case that you fall into, then there is no way you can have a rational conversation with anyone else in the world, so I wish you the best of luck inside your protective bubble.
So you're one of those types. The next question is thus: do you care about whether or not your beliefs/opinions are true? If you do, then it's intellectually dishonest and troglodytic to acknowledge that they cannot logically be supported but yet to still accept the. If you don't, and that seems to be the case that you fall into, then there is no way you can have a rational conversation with anyone else in the world, so I wish you the best of luck inside your protective bubble.

We're done here, thanks.
Reply 50

breach of contract could be their argument/protection in court. but the real reason they fired him? nope, i disagree. and i would've done the same, it's not a criticism.
:/
We're done here, thanks.

Thanks again for your comments. We're done here.

See, I can play this game too of copying and pasting the same thing over and over again like a nincompoop while failing to provide any argument whatsoever.
Thanks again for your comments. We're done here.

See, I can play this game too of copying and pasting the same thing over and over again like a nincompoop while failing to provide any argument whatsoever.

Dude, I essentially agree with you anyway - chill out and stop being so defensive and needlessly argumentative - I do not want to continue this conversation with you, I have no interest in arguing with you. Thanks.
wow didn't realise how rude you lot are, it wouldn't be the same if it was a straight couple therefore it goes against Uber's policies of discrimination. Not hard.
When you make a contract, you impliedly revoke any prior right that you might have had to remove people from your vehicle.

I'm going to need citations on that.

The vehicle remains the property of the driver. The closest analogy to this situation would therefore be a case in which a venue breaches a contract with guests by asking them to leave without proper cause. Despite the position in contract law, the owners of the venue retain the right as a matter of property law to revoke the licence they have given to their guests, and therefore to remove them from the property as they see fit. If they do so wrongly under the contract, the guests' only remedy is to sue for damages.

Bear in mind New York law will have applied to this contract when providing me with your working.

Consequently, all of you making arguments about "discrimination" have also missed the point that there's a much easier and less controversial argument you can make in order to demonstrate that the driver acted unlawfully.

The argument in this thread has not been about whether the actions were 'unlawful'. You made it about that. The argument in the thread has been, more broadly, about what each party should be entitled to do, or not to do, and, more broadly than that, about the extent to which each party involved acted properly in a general sense.

This is elementary contract law that has been applied by the courts in this country for over 800 years

No it hasn't. Read a legal history book.

In any event, again, this happened in New York, not in 'this country'.
Reply 56
Original post by jadey.tw
wow didn't realise how rude you lot are, it wouldn't be the same if it was a straight couple therefore it goes against Uber's policies of discrimination. Not hard.

did you watch the video? the Uber driver told the lesbians what they did (the kiss) was illegal. lol smarts that one.
Dude, I essentially agree with you anyway - chill out and stop being so defensive and needlessly argumentative - I do not want to continue this conversation with you, I have no interest in arguing with you. Thanks.

Whether to provide an argument is not your choice to make, and your interest is irrelevant. The only thing that's relevant is logic. As I said already, it's a matter of intellectual honesty, such that you are obliged to support your position if you wish to be seen as a rational individual.
Original post by Joleee
did you watch the video? the Uber driver told the lesbians what they did (the kiss) was illegal. lol smarts that one.

pahaha yeah I did watch it, absolute plank. I don't really know what else he expected, he'd have seen them filming it too???
Is it possible the girls were indeed behaving inappropriately? As sympathetic as I would like to be, I am always cautious when relying on somebody's word in stories like this, as things might often be... exaggerated. But that's just me playing devil's advocate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending