The Student Room Group

What's the best book you've ever read?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sha.zee
Hmm I have to say it’s “The Alchemist” by Paulo Coelho. It is such an inspiring book and has loads of messages within it, that is just so enlightening and so nice. There’s just a kind of warmth and love that radiates from the book. Totes recommend it!

That sounds so lovely! I’ve added it to my ‘To-Read’ list, I’ll try and pick it up soon :biggrin:
your frient met us an it was immetiate. the best book is his, we cannot fight that. if i coult rap it on the heaith antt make it utter, his face be honest cute like his worths. his minth ma work if not his yap. the greek left.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Arnold Schwarzenegger's autobiography. He's just such a remarkable person that's done everything there is to do in life.

Great, now I'm doing his voice in my head. XD
I really like Robinson Crusoe. Idk, I just like the story and the way it's told.
Fictional classic: Crime & Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. It is a work of psychological and philosophical genius. It is also an example of great Russian literature.

Poetry: Paradise Lost by John Milton. One of the great epic poems to have ever been written. The lyrical quality of Milton’s verses is a work of beauty.

Non-fiction: The Kingdom of God is Within you by Leo Tolstoy. This was the first text that introduced the idea of nonviolent resistance and the idea of Christian anarchism. It influenced Gandhi and Martin Luther King.

Spiritual: The Complete Works of Rumi. Rumi was a Sufi mystic and his poetry contains a lot of the Sufi ideas and way of life. I found his work very relatable, especially his ideas of man’s relationship to God being one of love.
Reply 25
Original post by 3pointonefour
the magic key which i read when i was 5.
Introduced me to biff, chip and kipper books that taught me how to read :d

THAT'S what it was called thank you!!
(edited 5 years ago)
Harry Potter :woo:
Reply 27
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
Reply 28
Fiction-but-based-on-real-events: This Blinding Absence of Light by Tahar Ben Jalloun. It's actually quite depressing but you know, makes you feel grateful for the fact that you can do things like stand up, or look out the window.

Fiction: The Restaurant At The End Of the Universe by Douglas Adams. Sequel to the Hitch-hiker's guide but more interesting and funny I think.
Honourable mentions: Frankenstein and Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time

Non-fiction: Factfulness by Hans Rosling. Amazing book with amazing information within. My all-time favourite. Basically shows that the world is much better-off than you think it is and how we have a propensity to see the world in a dramatic but inaccurate light. It will definitely challenge some preconceived notions.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Sinnoh
Fiction-but-based-on-real-events: This Blinding Absence of Light by Tahar Ben Jalloun. It's actually quite depressing but you know, makes you feel grateful for the fact that you can do things like stand up, or look out the window.

Fiction: The Restaurant At The End Of the Universe by Douglas Adams. Sequel to the Hitch-hiker's guide but more interesting and funny I think.
Honourable mentions: Frankenstein and Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time

Non-fiction: Factfulness by Hans Rosling. Amazing book with amazing information within. My all-time favourite. Basically shows that the world is much better-off than you think it is and how we have a propensity to see the world in a dramatic but inaccurate light. It will definitely challenge some preconceived notions.

What a fantastic list! :love:
Original post by Spuddie
Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3) - Cassandra Claire
I love this book, because it was really emotional, especially at the end. It was the best ending to a series that you could ask for, and it also starts weaving into The Mortal Instruments series, which I thought was really clever. (Spoiler, sorry!)
:h:

YES! I fully heartedly agree :biggrin: I read the Clockwork trilogy then the Mortal Instruments and then began the Dark Artifices.

I know it's apparently more focused for teen girls but I certainly enjoyed the mythology and further background to biblical stories e.g. Mark of Cain.
This could be cliche but The Catcher in the Rye or The Lord of the Flies are two of my joint favourite books of all time.

Both books make you think inwards about yourself/society and when the title of the two books is finally explained, everything just makes sense :biggrin:
Stoner by John Williams. Brilliantly written.
Reply 33
The Lovely Bones, absolutely live it read it several times
Original post by shadowdweller
What book is the best book you've ever read? Why was it the best? :teeth:

The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov. The only book I've ever read in under a week.
hamlet - w shakespeare

Faust - Goethe

dumas

Treasure Island

Jungle Book - Kipling

ac doyle

barnarth shaw

Orwell

THE ASG

Quick Reply