The Student Room Group

Really, really disappointed with my dissertation result.

I sat a foundation degree before my top up year in which i finished with a 1st. My first 2 assignments of my top up year were marked at 74% and 66% which averages out at 70% which is a first. However, 6 days before my dissertation was due to be handed in, I emailed my supervisor, who is also the course leader, and he replied regarding my ethics. Stating that they hadn't been submitted correctly and it was too late to do my dissertation (which I had no idea about and was nearly finished) and to start again doing only a literature based paper. I work full time too so scraped together 9007 words (10000 word dissertation) in 6 days, 5 of which I was at work.

I was pissed off but thought well as long as I don't fail, I haven't wasted 3 years of my life and possibly my future. I got my results back today and it was 42%! I feel sick, angry and upset. I honestly don't know what to do. This could potentially stop me getting on my PGCE (you need a 2:2). If I got 60% on my final assignment it would average out at 60% (2:1) which I would be content with considering the circumstances, but I really wanted a 1st.

Does anyone know how your final grade between your 4 assignment in final year get split? Because if my dissertation mark takes, just say 50%, I have effectively ruined my life.

ANY advice would be really, really appreciated. I am a mess.
Original post by InternetLee
I sat a foundation degree before my top up year in which i finished with a 1st. My first 2 assignments of my top up year were marked at 74% and 66% which averages out at 70% which is a first. However, 6 days before my dissertation was due to be handed in, I emailed my supervisor, who is also the course leader, and he replied regarding my ethics. Stating that they hadn't been submitted correctly and it was too late to do my dissertation (which I had no idea about and was nearly finished) and to start again doing only a literature based paper. I work full time too so scraped together 9007 words (10000 word dissertation) in 6 days, 5 of which I was at work.

I was pissed off but thought well as long as I don't fail, I haven't wasted 3 years of my life and possibly my future. I got my results back today and it was 42%! I feel sick, angry and upset. I honestly don't know what to do. This could potentially stop me getting on my PGCE (you need a 2:2). If I got 60% on my final assignment it would average out at 60% (2:1) which I would be content with considering the circumstances, but I really wanted a 1st.

Does anyone know how your final grade between your 4 assignment in final year get split? Because if my dissertation mark takes, just say 50%, I have effectively ruined my life.

None of us can say without knowing your course or uni. Check your handbook.
Reply 2
Original post by GoingToBurst
None of us can say without knowing your course or uni. Check your handbook.

I've just checked and it goes like this.
Module 1 - 20 credits - I got 66%
Module 2 - 20 credits - I got 74%
Module 3 - 40 credits - I got 65%
Module 4 - 40 credits - I got 2 marks, one of 44% and one of 42%. I don't know which to go off.

I thought the credits added up to 100?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Module 4 - 40 credits - I got 2 marks, one of 44% and one of 42%. I don't know which to go off.

Pretty much every university in the UK does 120 credits per year.
Good morning InternetLee,

I'm really sorry to hear about your situation, I can empathise with receiving a grade that is not as you expected and the potential consequences that follow. It can be really tough to shake that off when you set yourself high targets. However, please do NOT feel this is the end. Be kind to yourself and remember grades are not everything (I speak from experience).

In your situation though I wonder if there are grounds for academic appeal? The reason I say this is the possible negligence on your supervisor's part. I'm not saying that to be mean but surely they have a responsibility to guide you with this? For example, I am doing my dissertation too and my ethics had to go through an ethics board before I could even start.

It might be worth you getting in touch with your student's union for further guidance on this. I would do this as soon as possible.

Good luck!

I agree with the other posters, I'm also sure it is 120 credits and your course handbook should be able to illustrate this.

Averages out to 59.17% if they use 42% for module 44 and 59.83% if they use 44% for it.

I don't know if your uni rounds up or not, but I would definitely query whether they do because it's the difference between a 2.2 and a 2.1.
(edited 5 years ago)

As someone else pointed out, you need to ask staff at your university about this, as well as if your final % is rounded up or not.

If you do end up getting a 2:2 it's not the end of the world. If you have conditional places for your PGCE then you can explain the situation to them. Some might say that it is OK. Some might say you would perhaps just need 3-4 weeks of work experience rather than the standard 2.

If it all goes down hill, as in they all reject you, then it's not the end of the world. There are many universities that have PGCE courses for applicant who achieved a 2:2. There is no shame in that really.

Good luck in whatever happens!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending