M2( Edexcel): quick question on strangely (?) worded question

Watch this thread
bluenotewitt
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Here is the question with the part I am interested in highlighted:
Name:  ambiguous.PNG
Views: 100
Size:  96.5 KB
Now, what does "in the third second of motion " mean?
Radioactivedecay
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
It means 3 seconds after it started moving...
FryOfTheMann
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I presume you're talking about the question from June 2016 (I can't see the attachment if you have added one) :
The question wants you to find the distance traveled between t=2 and t=3. You can do this by integrating v (velocity, to get x, displacement) with t=2,3 as your boundaries. Also, you could use suvat and find the difference.
bluenotewitt
Rep:
(Original post by Radioactivedecay)
It means 3 seconds after it started moving...
Yeah, I got that
But surely one can only travel a certain distance in an interval of time?! Wouldn't the distance travelled in the third second be 0, as it is a point in time and not an interval?
bluenotewitt
Rep:
(Original post by FryOfTheMann)
I presume you're talking about the question from June 2016 (I can't see the attachment if you have added one) :
The question wants you to find the distance traveled between t=2 and t=3. You can do this by integrating v (velocity, to get x, displacement) with t=2,3 as your boundaries. Also, you could use suvat and find the difference.
Thanks! I hope you can view my attachment by now.
How do you know that one is supposed to find the distance traveled between t=2 and t=3? I don't see how one could possibly determine that just by reading the question...?! Am I missing some edexcel lore here?
rhaegar448
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by bluenotewitt)
Yeah, I got that
But surely one can only travel a certain distance in an interval of time?! Wouldn't the distance travelled in the third second be 0, as it is a point in time and not an interval?
The third second is between 2 and 3
Radioactivedecay
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Yeah, I got that
A is an interval not a point. So 0 to 1 is the first second, 1 to 2 is the second and 2 to 3 is the third second. Hence the q is asking for the integral from 2 to 3
bluenotewitt
Rep:
Here is the markscheme:
http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/...%20Edexcel.pdf
FryOfTheMann
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Thanks! I hope you can view my attachment by now.
How do you know that one is supposed to find the distance traveled between t=2 and t=3? I don't see how one could possibly determine that just by reading the question...? Am I missing some edexcel lore here?
Yeah, I can see it now - thanks. Likely a problem on my end, to be honest. I admit the question is a bit confusing, I originally thought it just meant how far it had traveled in the first three seconds but now I guess you just have to infer that it is the very start of the 3rd second to the very end (hence 2 and 3 as the boundaries). Might be something to keep in mind for the exam.
bluenotewitt
Rep:
Lol, sorry just got it ...
Prasiortle
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Here is the markscheme:
http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/...%20Edexcel.pdf
Did you not see post #7, which answers your question? A second is not a point in time, but an interval, so all time between t=0 and t=1 falls within the 1st second, time between t=1 and t=2 falls within the 2nd second, time between t=2 and t=3 falls within the 3rd second, etc.
bluenotewitt
Rep:
(Original post by FryOfTheMann)
Yeah, I can see it now - thanks. Likely a problem on my end, to be honest. I admit the question is a bit confusing, I originally thought it just meant how far it had traveled in the first three seconds but now I guess you just have to infer that it is the very start of the 3rd second to the very end (hence 2 and 3 as the boundaries). Might be something to keep in mind for the exam.
Thanks! Literally just understood what they meant...
bluenotewitt
Rep:
Why not just ask interesting questions and not boring catch out questions, edexcel ?
Prasiortle
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Why not just ask interesting questions and not boring catch out questions, edexcel ?
This is an entirely standard and trivial piece of terminology and I have never previously come across a student who was confused by it. You seem to keep thinking that it was supposed to catch you out when the fact is that it wasn't: rather, you simply were confused about what the English word "second" means.
bluenotewitt
Rep:
(Original post by Prasiortle)
This is an entirely standard and trivial piece of terminology and I have never previously come across a student who was confused by it. You seem to keep thinking that it was supposed to catch you out when the fact is that it wasn't: rather, you simply were confused about what the English word "second" means.
maybe... I was just joking around a bit tbh.
never seen a student defend edexcel

Seriously, though I doubt I am the only one who finds this question a bit confusing (at first). Also reading a question at home on ones computer with a cup of tea is not that same as sitting in an exam hall under adrenalin... I mean I've literally added one digit numbers up wrong in some of my gcse exams .
Prasiortle
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
maybe... I was just joking around a bit tbh.
never seen a student defend edexcel

Seriously, though I doubt I am the only one who finds this question a bit confusing (at first). Also reading a question at home on ones computer with a cup of tea is not that same as sitting in an exam hall under adrenalin... I mean I've literally added one digit numbers up wrong in some of my gcse exams .
I'm not a student, and back when I was, I never did an Edexcel mathematics exam.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (138)
43.81%
Not yet, but I will soon (54)
17.14%
No (123)
39.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed